Flights to Florida Dilemma

xcell

So I got the green light to go on my Xmas cruise (kid's exam ends on Friday, so I can fly out the Saturday for the Sunday cruise).

I didn't book any flights till now and the flights are craze expensive.

I have a lot of credits and companion ticket with Westjet but they have limited flights, so if I miss one, that would be disaterous.

So I was thinking of taking an early AC flight, so that if there are any delays, or cancellations, I have many options to get to Florida.

Has anyone had experience with catching a connecting flight from Toronto - Montreal - Florida/US?  Is 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.. ample of time to go through customs in Montreal to get to the US?

I have done the opposite (Florida - Montreal - Toronto) and it has always been a mess, even with Nexus, but never the other way around.  I am trying balance, cost of flight, chance of not missing it and the wraith of my DW for not booking a direct flight.

Side note: the reason I didn't book a direct flight, is that the least expensive one is mid afternoon with little choices if it gets cancelled and other direct flights are double the cost.   

Any ways, if anyone has knowledge of how custom works (do you go into the same line as those flying from Montreal, or is there a separate area for connecting flight passengers, etc...), it would be greatly appreciated.

We try to avoid connecting flights as we have had a few bad experiences however those have been with return flights similar to what you mentioned.  Where possible we avoid connecting flights...one thing we have done several times is take the train to Montreal and then a direct flight from Montreal.  There is a free shuttle service that takes you from Via station in Dorval to the airport...its only a 5 minute drive and runs regularly.  Maybe this is an option for you?  

We also typically book our flights thru the cruiseline since they offer assistance in case of delayed flights.  

Good luck and happy cruising!

At Christmas, heck even in winter alone, I would absolutely avoid any and all connecting flights.  Even if the weather is good in Toronto and/or Montreal, there could be delays because of weather, say in Detroit, which is where the plane might be coming from that will take you on one of your segments.  Pay the extra money and book a non stop flight.  That was the risk you took in delaying booking flights, even though you had valid reasons to do so.  The airports are going to be crazy this Christmas, I'm sure, so don't add to your stress with connecting flights. 

The suggestion above about booking the flights through the cruise line is a good one.  Have you investigated that?  Just make sure they're non stop flights...  But they could be less expensive.

• Like 4

It sounds like your home airport is YYZ?  Have you considered Buffalo Niagara Airport?  Parking is reasonable and there is far less congestion than Toronto.  Not to mention missing the misery which is CBP Pre-Clearance!  You could even arrive the night before as there are lots of airport hotels with Stay Fly Park rates and shuttles. 

Alternatively, Hamilton Airport is also a great choice.  You can easily search for options on Google Flights.  Have a great vacation!

If you are cruising from Miami or FLL make sure to check the other airport as well, they are about an hour apart so you can fly to either, FLL tends to have more flights (in a normal year) than Miami.

I'd agree with avoiding a connection if you can. Flying from Ottawa we often have to connect and it sucks. Air Canada has more flights than WestJet this year any way. But I think there are two from YYZ to FLL on Sat on WestJet.

Could you look at a later flight on Friday? After the exams? Gives you more options Saturday in case something happens to that Friday flight. 

I checked those too.

I'm just trying to figure out how bad is connecting through Montreal, especially having to go through immigration on a connecting flight.  Is a hour enough time? or two would be safe and 4 overkill?

I have done the opposite, and it wasn't fun -- almost missed my flight back to Toronto and my wife remembers that too vividly.

Montreal was much better coming home on the 31st than it had been three years prior when I did it last, didn't have to go outside to get on my little plane to Ottawa, didn't have to redo security, just Customs. It was quick and easy, but we were going the opposite way. I have not heard horror stories of it like I have about Toronto though, so that may say something. Air Canada recommends at least 55 minutes when connecting in Montreal and flying to the US. But they have TO as 1 hour 10 min and with that, people on my flights down would have missed the plane (we were delayed almost 2 hours leaving TO, people's bags made the plane but they were stuck in Customs, plane waited, so maybe check bags? Then they'll wait for you). 

12 minutes ago, xcell said:

I checked those too.

I'm just trying to figure out how bad is connecting through Montreal, especially having to go through immigration on a connecting flight.  Is a hour enough time? or two would be safe and 4 overkill?

I have done the opposite, and it wasn't fun -- almost missed my flight back to Toronto and my wife remembers that too vividly.

Have you checked into what AC say about that connection? Generally, if AC actually allows you book an itinerary with such a short connection time, then they are pretty much saying that theoretically you can make the connection and are OK with it being booked.  Here at YUL they usually have reps in the various halls with clipboards, calling out certain upcoming flight numbers and asking if you are on that flight. If so, they grab you and bring you to the head of the security/customs line to expedite you through. Also, assuming that the short connection is between two AC flights, they will know which customers are "in transit" between the aircraft and will, within reason, hold the departing flight until all connecting pax have made it through. That being said, just because YOU make the tight connection doesn't guarantee your bags will.  Also, an arriving inside-Canada flight will land at a different terminal than a departing US-bound flight, though of course Montreal is a embarrassingly small airport compared to Pearson, so the walk isn't nearly as far.  If you do have the luxury of selecting flights based on the connection time, I would go with at least a 2 hour layover especially if you have ML lounge access, but it would be best to ask AC their opinion of the 1 hour connection in case they say OK.

I agree with a previous poster re checking both FLL and MIA as they are only about an hour apart.  We can sometimes get direct from one but not the other.  Once you arrive in Florida you can take a shuttle service or uber.  

I personally am willing to pay a fair bit extra for direct flights.  Its just not worth the risk and aggravation to save a few bucks.  This is especially true if you are travelling the day before the cruise.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies.

I do like direct flights, but the direct flight leaves late in the afternoon and my concern is if we miss it, then what? Doing an early morning flight gives more option, just in case.  That's why going to Mia/Fll I might avoid WJ because it only has 1 flight and thats risky.

8 hours ago, xcell said:

Has anyone had experience with catching a connecting flight from Toronto - Montreal - Florida/US?  Is 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.. ample of time to go through customs in Montreal to get to the US?

In addition to BUF airport, there's also an international airport in Niagara Falls NY -- symbol IAG. 

IAG has direct flights to several locations in Florida on Allegiant Air 

https://www.allegiantair.com/ . 

From which port in Florida does your cruise depart?

9 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I honestly would avoid Allegiant like the plague.

I've never actually flown them -- what's your experience with them?

Was suggesting it as a likely cheaper alternative to flights out of YYZ.  And I have flown out of IAG before, and it's OK. 

33 minutes ago, xcell said:

Thanks for all your replies.

I do like direct flights, but the direct flight leaves late in the afternoon and my concern is if we miss it, then what? Doing an early morning flight gives more option, just in case.  That's why going to Mia/Fll I might avoid WJ because it only has 1 flight and thats risky.

I usually fly from yyz to fll. WestJet usually shows 2-3 non stop per day however, near your departure date they change the non stop flight to 1 per day.  Very confusing. This time I’m flying into Mia which shows only 1 non stop flight leaving at 9:40am. Plus it cheaper. You can rent a car at Mia and drop it off at Fll. I booked that flight 2 months ago and since then the airfare triple. 

Edited by DHP1

6 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I've never actually flown them -- what's your experience with them?

They are notoriously unreliable.  I’ve never flown with them (because I am not a risk-taker) but I’ve seen on the news, here in the US,  quite a number of times where they have left people stranded without recourse.  This, in addition to the nonstop extra fees, (including your onboard carry-ons) makes it less attractive than it appears.  TripAdvisor lists A Few Good Examples.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

They are notoriously unreliable.

Thanks for the heads up,  and @xcell hope you see this too!  

Edited to add that I just saw an 'interesting' editorial pic of Allegiant Air on the Tripadvisor link and can't stop laughing.  But the accompanying reviews are frightening.

Edited by lots-of-km2

I do usually feel better about one flight (which is the only option flying direct from Ottawa) with AC or WJ simply because I believe they have more planes available to them, so if it's a mechanical issue, we'd likely get a replacement plane (obviously doesn't help with weather related issues). 

• Like 1

Never thought if they had a mechanical issue they'd bring out another plane. I'm more worried that they won't have enough crew.

Planning to book tonight my WestJet return. I also heard nightmares of waiting on hold for 3 hours plus to talk to an agent, so not sure if AC is like that.

Nope, my kid finishes her exam on Friday, and cruise is out of Florida on SUnday...I'd be dead before I drove all the way down (DW would kill me, divorce me, in which ever order...)

I bit the bullet and booked the return flight through WJ -- it was $232 per person, I used my WJD and ended up paying $145 for 4 of us.  Now to find the flight down...AC is lower than WJ with more flights.

33 minutes ago, xcell said:

Nope, my kid finishes her exam on Friday, and cruise is out of Florida on SUnday...I'd be dead before I drove all the way down (DW would kill me, divorce me, in which ever order...)

I bit the bullet and booked the return flight through WJ -- it was $232 per person, I used my WJD and ended up paying $145 for 4 of us.  Now to find the flight down...AC is lower than WJ with more flights.

If it's a weather related delay it doesn't really matter how many planes an airline has.

Just now, broberts said:

If it's a weather related delay it doesn't really matter how many planes an airline has.

No but if do a morning flight, more chances that the weather might clear up if there are more flights later that day or, possible you get out before the weather gets worse.

I know, there's no guarantee....just needing this break, its been 18 months and 5 missed cruises...