NCL Encore Cancelled Nov. 14 Cruise from Miami

WiseOldFool

I just got an email informing us our cruise leaving Sunday, Nov-14 on the Encore out of Miami has been cancelled due to the ship being delayed into Miami for 2 days.  Here's the details regarding credits:

We sincerely appreciate your loyalty, and we cannot wait to provide you with the cruise vacation you've been dreaming about, and likely need now more than ever! Therefore, in addition to the 100% refund or full return of your FCC, the following offers may also be available when you chose to rebook:

- Receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) valued at 50% of the voyage fare paid. The 50% FCC will be applied to your Latitudes account and will be available as of November 15, 2021 for any voyage through December 31, 2022.

- 35% OFF! For a limited time only, take advantage of our current promotion if you book a new cruise by November 30, 2021 for any published voyage through 2024 and receive 35% OFF!

- TAKE ALL! Again, for a very limited time, if you book a new cruise by November 30, 2021 for any published voyage through 2024, you may TAKE ALL! This limited time offer is a tremendous value allowing you to add all five of our Free at Sea amenities (TAKE ALL!) when you reserve select stateroom categories for any published voyage. Amenities include a free unlimited beverage package, free specialty dining, a free Wi-Fi package, free shore excursion credits and reduced rates for family and friends ' a value of up to $4,000 per person!

- A $150 Free Credit + Lower Deposit! If you purchase a $150 CruiseFirst certificate, which is a certificate towards your next cruise, we will match it with an additional $150 credit. For CruiseFirst terms and conditions, please visit www.ncl.com/terms/cruisefirst.

Phew Im on the one After that sailing, its our redemption sailing from a March 2019 that was cancelled 48 hours before.  I would have been devastated.  We were offered 150% back in 2019 since ours was the first cancelled cruise of covid.  

I guess the 11/21 cruise will be the first one back in Miami then, should be a smooth boarding process since the ship will be empty.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, So_Tweetie said:

Would you mind sharing their explanation for the delay? Is there a backup of ships trying to get through the Panama Canal? 

No explanation given, but I looked online and they're currently sitting on the Pacific side of the Panama Canal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnBergless said:

Yes, they are running pretty far behind getting everyone through. The guests onboard right now got a couple extra days of fun! It’s a damn parking lot out there right now on both sides 

No passengers, crew only

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I am glad they are giving a refund or future credit. Most times they just give you future credit.  As much as it sucks to lose your cruise, at least they are giving you a full refund option.

If they cancel the cruise, you always have a full refund option.  If they are slow, your credit card company will give you the money back in a week or two.

The ship has been empty for 3 weeks.  NCL did not have the forethought to get it moving in case there was a backup at the canal. I was booked on it. I'm moving to Royal permanently.  No need to be smart and tell me bye.  This is simply unacceptable.  A lack of planning is not an acceptable way to run a business. And they had to know this before today. Some people will be out airfare and or hotel. Simply because they chose to wait to tell us. I was within a few hours of not being able to cancel my Intercontinental reservation.  Which is not cheap.  Just frustrating to see how they run the line when they should be doing everything possible to gain trust in the pandemic cruise world.

Edited by TonyFred
  • Like 4

Within the last week or so, I read an article citing that shipments through the Panama Canal have set an all-time record in 2021.  Huge amount of cargo shipments going in both directions.  The article specifically mentioned a great uptick in westbound LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) shipments headed for Asia.

I'm going to guess at least part of the issue with the Encore delay at the Canal is due to simply traffic trying to get through.  There may be other issues as well

I’m so sorry this has happened to you.  We are on the Encore out of Miami on Dec. 12th and I’d be so upset if this had happened to me.  We’ve been looking so forward to getting back on a ship.  I hope you’re able to make alternate plans that you enjoy.

1 hour ago, TonyFred said:

NCL did not have the forethought to get it moving in case there was a backup at the canal.

Maybe so, but they chose to remain tied at the pier rather than risk leaving Seattle with a storm blowing in.  In fact - it may not have even been a choice, they might not have been allowed by the port to sail out.

• Like 1

I want to say to everyone cancelled how so very sorry I am.  It seems that we all have had cancelations in the past.  Some we kind of knew about.  Others we did not.  This one is especially harsh since it is a ship that was sailing and so many great reviews up to this point.  Not to mention covid-19 seems to be slowing down a bit.

I read everyone post.  Some have rebooked and others are so upset they won't cruise NCL again.  I have no idea how i would feel.  I just know, it would be frustrating, sad and expensive to rebook. Again, really sorry this has happened to any person. Not fair.

• Like 1

I am so incredibly sad and sorry for everyone who was supposed to be on this cruise. I was looking forward to reading the reviews. I would be absolutely crushed if this happened to me. I hope you are able to find alternative vacation plans. 

• Like 2

This same 2 day delay happened to a Princess ship a few weeks ago (don’t quote me on it being Princess I’m going off memory). Unlike encore, That ship was carrying passengers. The delay had to do with the type of test Panama was requiring and the ship had to wait for additional tests to prove negative for covid before Panama they would allow the canal pilot onboard. I forget all the details but There is a lengthy forum post somewhere here on Cc if interested. 

• Like 1

The Canadian and American Coast Guards CLOSED the mouth of the Striat of Juan de Fuca (body of water between the US and Canada) for two reasons: (1) the storm fronts going through the area (Encore delayed several hours getting into Seattle because of the storm and (2) a container ship lost 109 of her containers just off the mouth of the Strait-- as of this moring 104 are still missing creating a hazard for incoming and outgoing ship traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1