Edge Class Aft SV Cabins

Definitas

We have enjoyed aft cabins on a number of ships, particularly the FV corner cabins on M class. Can anyone please give a candid review of SV cabins on Edge class? We hated the S1 balcony on Silhouette because there was absolutely no shade. There was also quite a bit of soot. How are the Edge aft cabins?

I have twice sailed in a SV on Edge...first was 2019 on deck nine; more recently this past September on deck 10.   There was no soot either time.  For my money, this is the best stateroom category.  I love the wake view and am not bothered by the long walk to the aft of the ship.  On both sailings, there were two chairs, two loungers and a table.  

• Like 1

We were in a sunset veranda aboard the Edge on deck 12 last month and we had to deal with soot falling onto our balcony everyday on the cruise.  We brought towels from the pool deck to our balcony and placed them over the furniture so that we could sit down without getting black soot on our clothes.  Other than the soot on the balcony, we loved this cabin.

27 minutes ago, kebrown said:

We were in a sunset veranda aboard the Edge on deck 12 last month and we had to deal with soot falling onto our balcony everyday on the cruise.  We brought towels from the pool deck to our balcony and placed them over the furniture so that we could sit down without getting black soot on our clothes.  Other than the soot on the balcony, we loved this cabin.

Sorry to hear that.  While I was on deck 10 on Edge in September, my friend was on deck 12.  She had no soot the entire week.  I wonder why it happens on some sailings and not others.

3 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Sorry to hear that.  While I was on deck 10 on Edge in September, my friend was on deck 12.  She had no soot the entire week.  I wonder why it happens on some sailings and not others.

Thank you.  We did report the soot problem to Guest Relations and they told us that they are aware of this problem and they are trying to figure out what to do about it.  They also told me that it is the room attendant's responsibility to make sure the balcony stays clean.  I am not sure what the room attendant can do about soot falling on the balcony but that is what they told us.

We were in a SV cabin on Deck 10 on a July sailing this year.  Love the cabin and the large balcony, however soot is a problem, especially if there is any moisture.  It was on any flat surface (railing and seating).  The first time I was unaware and was wearing white shorts, that did not turn out well.

Probably depends on the prevailing winds or lack there of if you will have a soot issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kebrown said:

Thank you.  We did report the soot problem to Guest Relations

35 minutes ago, kebrown said:

I am not sure what the room attendant can do about soot falling on the balcony but that is what they told us.

🤯 The room attendant can probably do about as much as guest relations can 

A little soot on the balcony is always a possibility with those cabins unless. The engine room cannot turn off the soot upon request.  

We were in a SV on the Edge last month, 12263, and our balcony was literally covered in soot the entire week.  We also got towels from the pool to put on the chairs but even the towels had soot on them.   I ruined a white top the first day.  Loved everything else about the cabin!

7 minutes ago, SophieT said:

We were in a SV on the Edge last month, 12263, and our balcony was literally covered in soot the entire week.  We also got towels from the pool to put on the chairs but even the towels had soot on them.   I ruined a white top the first day.  Loved everything else about the cabin!

unfortunately soot happens!  🤣

7 minutes ago, SophieT said:

Just curious, were these pieces of soot large, more than say 1/4” in diameter or were they little specs like we’re periodically seeing on our deck 11 SV balcony on the Apex?

I would say the size of the flecks were 1/4 inch and under.  I also should mention we would book the SV category again in a heartbeat!  I do realize soot happens!  LOL

Ken the Cruiser thanks so much for the live blogs!  I have been addicted to all of them!

Just now, SophieT said:

I would say the size of the flecks were 1/4 inch and under.  I also should mention we would book the SV category again in a heartbeat!  I do realize soot happens!  LOL

Ken the Cruiser thanks so much for the live blogs!  I have been addicted to all of them!

Thanks and thanks!! I’m glad to hear the “sooty” deal you had to experience hasn’t deterred you from booking more SVs in the future!

Our next cruise will be on the Constellation in an aft-facing Aqua cabin leaving out of Tampa on Dec 23. It will be interesting to experience our first M class cruise, which I understand the Connie hasn’t been fully revolutionized yet, after experiencing the wow factor from cruising on both the Edge and now the Apex. But it’s still a cruise and that’s all that matters! 😎

12 hours ago, Nva said:

I did a lot of research before we moved from an IV to a SV and found a few threads where that’s covered…some good info here:

Thanks for  pointing that out. Looks like 12 is noisy but 7 is not. Hoping I might get a few more opinions here.