Lobster in main dining room

jamon

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I truly believe that many people from different parts of the USA do not know the difference between cold water true lobster (with claws and tail meat), and the warm water spiny varieties (tail meat only) that are almost always served on cruise ships.  The warm water varieties are part of the crawfish family and not the lobster family.  But would people on ships get excited about crawfish night in the MDR?  That is actually what they are getting

I agree, and they probably do not know the difference between real crab and imitation crab meat. LOL

Most grocery stores also sell frozen Australian lobster tails which I think are not cold water lobster either.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I agree, and they probably do not know the difference between real crab and imitation crab meat. LOL

Most grocery stores also sell frozen Australian lobster tails which I think are not cold water lobster either.

well that's highly insulting.  It's quite possible that those of us whom you  consider ignorant of the difference, actually do understand the difference and can appreciate both...if they are properly prepared.  Perhaps your palette is not fine tuned enough to appreciate  them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

never saw this be the case in 30 years

Maybe I am confusing this with Royal.... I never ordered it...but which ever line is it was... in the corner of the menu was the opportunity to order lobster for an additional charge.. as I recall it was around $30 or so. I never did that ... but wondered what type was offered.  To be honest we have been cruising for decades..so this may go back a ways...

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

well that's highly insulting.  It's quite possible that those of us whom you  consider ignorant of the difference, actually do understand the difference and can appreciate both...if they are properly prepared.  Perhaps your palette is not fine tuned enough to appreciate  them.

I cannot speak for @terrydtxbut I think we were all just having a bit of fun with the thread.  😀

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I cannot speak for @terrydtxbut I think we were all just having a bit of fun with the thread.  😀

@TeeRick yes I was, even our favorite local Asian restaurant doesn't know the difference between real crab legs and imitation crab ones as they use the imitation ones in many dishes that the menu calls "Crab Legs'".  LOL

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

@TeeRick yes I was, even our favorite local Asian restaurant doesn't know the difference between real crab legs and imitation crab ones as they use the imitation ones in many dishes that the menu calls "Crab Legs'".  LOL

Then you weren't joking. Still not funny and still offensive.

25 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Then you weren't joking. Still not funny and still offensive.

Hmm I asked my Chinese husband to weigh in on this, after he stopped laughing, he said offensive why?  We only eat at Asian restaurants in Chinatown Boston.  In his opinion American Chinese restaurants take many liberties.  Rock on Tee, you have the authentic Asian approval of my DH!!

On 11/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, Purplsmurf said:

For those of us that live in the Midwest……I love the lobster on Celebrity 🤷🏻‍♀️

This is the only time I get to eat lobster.  All we get is frozen tails.  Last cruise on Silhouette in 2018, the waiter served me and immediately told me I could have more!  Since the one on my plate was pretty scrawny, of course I said yes, please.  That was a little bigger but I devoured both of them.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 10:20 AM, jamon said:

Does Celebrity serve lobster in the main dining room which is included with with your fare...looking on going on Reflection and was wondering.....

Night 6 on our Reflection sailing last week. Also the 2nd evening chic night on our Western itinerary.   We ate steak at the lawn club, even though we rather enjoy the mdr lobster. 

There has been a long recent thread on the HAL forum about how HAL no longer has lobster for free on the Gala Nights in the MDR.  Apparently there now is a $15 up charge for a frozen lobster tail and you would think that it is the end of the world with many posters threatening to stop cruising with HAL. I guess we aren't the only ones having fun with this topic. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

There has been a long recent thread on the HAL forum about how HAL no longer has lobster for free on the Gala Nights in the MDR.  Apparently there now is a $15 up charge for a frozen lobster tail and you would think that it is the end of the world with many posters threatening to stop cruising with HAL. I guess we aren't the only ones having fun with this topic. 

What - no free lobster?  That’s almost as bad as no chocolates on the pillows at night!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I might consider it if it was the cold water lobster version.  But not the crawfish version.

I do wonder how the cruise lines have been impacted by the supply chain issues. I was at the grocery store the other day and there was only one package of cream cheese on the shelf..with a notice that it would be in short supply until March 22...  So while the cruise lines have agreements with suppliers.. I wonder how those suppliers are able to keep the ships supplied while major grocery chains are having trouble. We sail in a few weeks ..so it will be interesting to see if items are not available..

14 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I think restaurants do know the difference.  They buy it and know where it comes from.  It is all about price of real crab vs getting away with imitation crab which is processed fish meat-  some call it the hot dog of the sea.  If they can get away with the fake version and still charge a lot for it, that's what they do. Some sushi restaurants use they fake stuff and I avoid them.   But I have been watching Deadliest Catch for years so I know real crab is expensive😀.  When I cruised Alaska it was amazing how good fresh crab was.  Like eating fresh lobster in Maine or in Halifax vs the stuff on the cruise ships.  

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I might consider it if it was the cold water lobster version.  But not the crawfish version.

I believe there is also an option for a whole lobster but at a much higher upcharge, I think $30 or $40. A whole lobster should mean a cold water one.  In 2019 we did A HAL Noordam Alaska cruise and the MDR had a nightly option for Alaska Crab legs for $55 upcharge I believe for 1/2 pound,  we tried them one night and they were not worth the cost and they were frozen. We had much much better crab legs in Anchorage for about the same cost as the ship.

Edited by terrydtx

On 11/16/2021 at 7:33 AM, Guppy99 said:

never saw this be the case in 30 years

I was confusing Royal with Celebrity... found this photo on FB of a Royal menu...recent...showing Maine lobster being available for an extra cost on the main menu... sorry for any confusion concerning X.

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.21.01 AM.png

23 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I believe there is also an option for a whole lobster but at a much higher upcharge, I think $30 or $40. A whole lobster should mean a cold water one.  In 2019 we did A HAL Noordam Alaska cruise and the MDR had a nightly option for Alaska Crab legs for $55 upcharge I believe for 1/2 pound,  we tried them one night and they were not worth the cost and they were frozen. We had much much better crab legs in Anchorage for about the same cost as the ship.

Our family has a place in Maine that we visited three times this year.  The Lobster prices are higher than I have ever seen them in 35 years we have been going there.  Regular lobster rolls around $30 each.  Last year they were $17-$20.  We buy fresh lobster meat at the local seafood place and it was averaging $65-$70 per pound (tails and claws).  Last year $30-$35.  So if they do offer a whole Maine lobster at an upcharge this year on the ship be prepared for sticker shock.  Like everything else in the US these days.  Prices on everything out of control.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, bikerunner said:

Use to love lobster now really wont touch them, no reason in particular just do not find them tasty any more.  Cooked them plenty of times, got them fresh from Cape Cod and Maine areas plenty of times.  

It's not the lobster it's the butter!  

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Our family has a place in Maine that we visited three times this year.  The Lobster prices are higher than I have ever seen them in 35 years we have been going there.  Regular lobster rolls around $30 each.  Last year they were $17-$20.  We buy fresh lobster meat at the local seafood place and it was averaging $65-$70 per pound (tails and claws).  Last year $30-$35.  So if they do offer a whole Maine lobster at an upcharge this year on the ship be prepared for sticker shock.  Like everything else in the US these days.  Prices on everything out of control.

We met a couple from Boston on our Equinox cruise in August and they were telling us the same  about the high lobster prices. Must be a supply chain problem, LOL Our local HEB  grocery store no longer has a live lobster tank with live lobsters for sale because of the pricing.  I have seen the cost of prime steaks at the HEB rise 30-40% in the last few months, so that may be the next upcharge on cruises. 

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We met a couple from Boston on our Equinox cruise in August and they were telling us the same  about the high lobster prices. Must be a supply chain problem, LOL Our local HEB  grocery store no longer has a live lobster tank with live lobsters for sale because of the pricing.  I have seen the cost of prime steaks at the HEB rise 30-40% in the last few months, so that may be the next upcharge on cruises. 

We buy our lobsters and lobster meat right at the seafood co-op where the lobster boats come in.  Not sure about supply chain in this scenario.  But I'm sure fuel and labor costs have gone up.