Taking alcohol onboard - Cunard

nzstuart51

I fully realise this subject has been raised many, many times in the past but I would really welcome an update, based on recent experience.

In the past, and despite Cunard's own published rules,  at time of boarding the Cunard staff/representatives turned a blind eye in situations where boarding passengers were bringing reasonable amounts of alcohol on board. This situation seemed to apply at time of boarding and following visits at intermediate ports.

In a previous post on this website, several years ago, one contributor made the point that "Cunard treats it's passengers as adults."

Does anyone have recent experience?

Cheers all

Just disembarked on Monday.

Nothing has changed. There is no "blind eye" to turn as you are permitted to carry on whatever you like (or pack it in your bags).

We brought three bottles of fizz to supplement the champagne and fizzy wine provided. We've been doing it for years.

Stewart

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Just disembarked on Monday.

Nothing has changed. There is no "blind eye" to turn as you are permitted to carry on whatever you like (or pack it in your bags).

We brought three bottles of fizz to supplement the champagne and fizzy wine provided. We've been doing it for years.

Stewart

Do you pack it in your suitcase or carry in your hand luggage?  Guessing a bottle of spirits is a no no ?  We have a 5 night cruise booked but with 2 days in port and me not big drinker (we both have to have the package) $138 a day is alot for the package - still deciding pay as you go or package as I like non-alcoholic cocktails, coffee and water !!  Trying to work out most cost effective way?

We were on a 7-night cruise on QE in September and took on two bottles of wine and two bottles of spirits plus mixers. We have never had an issue, and have cruised with Cunard for years. Likewise, if you buy alcohol in port, you can just walk on with it. We normally just pack it in our hand luggage. Generally we have always found the drinks packages hard to justify and just pay as you go.

• Like 2

Why do you think a bottle of spirits is a "no no"? BRING WHATEVER YOU LIKE.

Depending on how much we take (if we are meeting friends we might take more), we either pack it in cases or carry on.

As we always travel in QG we don't need spirits, but do take a few extra Widows. Champagne bottles are notoriously hard to break so they're quite safe in the luggage.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nzstuart51 said:

I fully realise this subject has been raised many, many times in the past but I would really welcome an update, based on recent experience.

In the past, and despite Cunard's own published rules,  at time of boarding the Cunard staff/representatives turned a blind eye in situations where boarding passengers were bringing reasonable amounts of alcohol on board. This situation seemed to apply at time of boarding and following visits at intermediate ports.

In a previous post on this website, several years ago, one contributor made the point that "Cunard treats it's passengers as adults."

Does anyone have recent experience?

Cheers all

Past and recent experience confirms Cunard still treats it’s guests as responsible adults.  Then guests (in the majority) reciprocate with increased onboard spending.

The guest makes the decision what, in their opinion, is deemed reasonable.

As an aside, the most amusing carryon was a guest pulling along a trolley with multiple cases of Widow through Southampton security after checking.

Personally, St Maarten 27 bottles and a barrel of Rhum rolled on in Martinique.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Aside

37 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Yes, you end up launching a ship!

Though I have read that Cunard generally used Australian wine (at a time before it was common here) instead of Champagne.

Edited by exlondoner
Omission
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Why do you think a bottle of spirits is a "no no"? BRING WHATEVER YOU LIKE.

Depending on how much we take (if we are meeting friends we might take more), we either pack it in cases or carry on.

As we always travel in QG we don't need spirits, but do take a few extra Widows. Champagne bottles are notoriously hard to break so they're quite safe in the luggage.

My husband will be pleased - thank you 🙂

Never had a problem (as recently as December 2019) with bringing a fifth of scotch and a reasonable number of bottles of our preferred wines - upon boarding and at ports.   I recall the Carnivalization of HAL a few years back when, over the course of one year, I witnessed a) the imposition of limits and addition of fees on bringing wine on board, b) the imposition of charges for fresh OJ at breakfast, c) the drastic reduction of live music, d) the almost complete disappearance of fresh flowers, e) the cutting of courses at dinner along with the slashing of MDR service (and food quality), and the significant increase in size of new ships coming on line.   In a short time they plummeted from “superior” to just slightly smaller mass-market ships.

The Cunard website is pretty clear on this;

You may bring beer, wine or spirits on board (subject to the age limit law of the Port of departure) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your cabin. Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee, please show your gift card to your waiter.

40 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

The Cunard website is pretty clear on this;

You may bring beer, wine or spirits on board (subject to the age limit law of the Port of departure) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your cabin. Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee, please show your gift card to your waiter.

One does think every day on Cunard could be considered a “special occasion”.😀

Edited by PORT ROYAL

19 minutes ago, nzstuart51 said:

jimbo1683

Are you able to point to the specific Cunard webpage that actually says this?

Cheers nzstuart51

I'll try to help out. Since you are in Australia, I'll point you to this reference from the FAQ on the Cunard Australia website which contains the verbiage @jimbo1683 quoted.

https://www.cunard.com/en-au/frequently-asked-questions.life-on-board.faq390.summary

(Q) Can I bring alcohol on board to consume in my cabin or in restaurants?

(A) You may bring beer, wine or spirits on board (subject to the age limit law of the Port of departure) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your cabin. Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee, please show your gift card to your waiter. ...

Now there is also another entry in the same FAQ which tends to cause confusion because it mentions "one bottle per person". Perhaps I shouldn't quote this FAQ entry since in practice you are allowed to bring on board more than one bottle per person. I'm just including this to point out that the FAQ does provide information about alcohol limits which appears to be contradictory.

https://www.cunard.com/en-au/frequently-asked-questions.life-on-board.FAQ317.summary

(Q) Can I take a bottle of wine/champagne on board to drink in a restaurant and would a corkage fee apply?

(A) All bottles of wine or champagne brought on board by guests for consumption in any of the ship's restaurants, bars or lounges, are subject to a corkage fee.

Please be advised that guests are allowed to bring on board one bottle per person for special occasions. ...

On 11/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Never had a problem (as recently as December 2019) with bringing a fifth of scotch and a reasonable number of bottles of our preferred wines - upon boarding and at ports.   I recall the Carnivalization of HAL a few years back when, over the course of one year, I witnessed a) the imposition of limits and addition of fees on bringing wine on board, b) the imposition of charges for fresh OJ at breakfast, c) the drastic reduction of live music, d) the almost complete disappearance of fresh flowers, e) the cutting of courses at dinner along with the slashing of MDR service (and food quality), and the significant increase in size of new ships coming on line.   In a short time they plummeted from “superior” to just slightly smaller mass-market ships.

There have been complaints on the HAL forum that wine brought on board is now subject to the corkage charge even if it is to be consumed in one's cabin.  When we took a HAL cruise to Alaska a few years ago we brought two bottle of Champagne obtained in Vancouver. After security we were directed to a desk where a chap looked carefully at each bottle, even holding it up to the light - perhaps to make sure we didn't substitute forbidden gin. He then made a notation in a log book and we had to fill out and sign a form. The whole situation was bizarre.

Regarding Cunard, a few years ago we re-boarded the QM2 in Halifax, having purchased Champagne, a half bottle of gin and two cans of tonic. The security man at the X-ray scanner said he would have to look at the contents of the bag. I explained I had a bottle of Champagne and gin and he said: "We don't care about that, but I have to look at the cans."  

• 1 year later...

Anyone been on cunard recently and taken alcohol in their luggage? 
We had a bottle of gin in our suite last year as had an upgrade to queens (amazing!) but sadly not this year! Want to take some gin with me, as loved a gin on the balcony! 

4 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Although we always travel in QG, we always take 5 or 6 bottles of the Widow for our room.

Bring whatever you like!

Oh gosh I wish I could always travel QG! We have done PG a lot, but not this year. 
I’m  determined to save up for PG next year though! 

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

I always pack bottles in bubble wrap then put in my case. I have also bought top ups ashore and brought them on. 

Cases do usually arrive very promptly, but, if you put a bottle in hand luggage, you can enjoy while unpacking or, indeed, waiting anxiously.

• Like 3