What would you do?

anditoo72

8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@anditoo72 I just did a search on the most popular internet travel site for hotels between 75 and 125. 6 hotels/motels and a number of private apts for rent, as close as 6 miles to the port. More if you increase the budget.

Stay in one! Otherwise, you are talking about driving to southern Florida on a Saturday morning of a 3 day weekend. I-95 is crazy enough midmorning on a weekday. I can't imagine how stressful it might be on the 19th of Feb, raised exponentially by knowing some bad driver (more crazies there than DC) may create havoc and cost you your trip.

Didn't even consider the holiday, thank you for thinking of it! That also helped in my decision!

Edited by anditoo72

We used to live in Punta Gorda, up Alligator Alley - about a 3.5 trip with one rest stop visit.  It always worked for us BUT -  I've also seen a family with a flat waiting on roadside service, and trying to make a ship.  They were frantic and stressed out.

Not sure which side of the state you are driving down but Alligator Alley can sometimes, though rare, be closed due to dangerous fog conditions.  Only you can decide what works best for you.

16 hours ago, Oville said:

We live 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale across the “Alley”.  Wouldn’t think twice about booking the Fort Lauderdale Hilton Marina, always have always will.  Sorry @GottaKnowWhen can’t disagree with you more.

If you are on a tight budget, as the OP states they are, this is not a good option.  So I guess I couldn't disagree with you more🙂.  For them, booking an hour or two away seems like a much better option.  Shorter drive in, and much, much lower prices.    

Book a room the day before your cruise.  This way you don't have to worry about something going wrong during your trip, (flat, engine issue, etc.).  If you book the day before, then you can relax because you are there and all it's going to take is a quick cab ride next morning to your ship!

On 11/17/2021 at 1:07 PM, phoenix_dream said:

If you are on a tight budget, as the OP states they are, this is not a good option.  So I guess I couldn't disagree with you more🙂.  For them, booking an hour or two away seems like a much better option.  Shorter drive in, and much, much lower prices.    

Didn’t mean to imply everyone stay at the Hilton.  There are cheaper hotels in the area and just makes sail away day do much less stressful.

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

Didn’t mean to imply everyone stay at the Hilton.  There are cheaper hotels in the area and just makes sail away day do much less stressful.

Got it.  Although truthfully, it is really hard to find any hotel in the area that is low priced.  Cheaper than the Hilton?  Definitely.  But any decent hotel anywhere in Lauderdale at peak times is expensive by some people's means.  They could probably save $100 a night just by staying an hour away.  I do agree with you, though, that if possible spend the night as close to the port area as possible.  Much more relaxing.

31 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Got it.  Although truthfully, it is really hard to find any hotel in the area that is low priced.  Cheaper than the Hilton?  Definitely.  But any decent hotel anywhere in Lauderdale at peak times is expensive by some people's means.  They could probably save $100 a night just by staying an hour away.  I do agree with you, though, that if possible spend the night as close to the port area as possible.  Much more relaxing.

👍, agree hard to find a cheaper hotel in the area.  I’d check the airport areas.

We used to live in Auburndale, about a 4 hour drive to FLL, and would never think of driving the same day. We always stayed in Fort Lauderdale, usually at Rodeway on hwy 84. They also offer a shuttle to the port, and can park at the hotel for the cruise. Not crazy priced, but I don't know what the OP can afford. Another place we stayed once was Ramada, also on 84 with parking and a shuttle. Definitely not fancy, but clean.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

We used to live in Auburndale, about a 4 hour drive to FLL, and would never think of driving the same day. We always stayed in Fort Lauderdale, usually at Rodeway on hwy 84. They also offer a shuttle to the port, and can park at the hotel for the cruise. Not crazy priced, but I don't know what the OP can afford. Another place we stayed once was Ramada, also on 84 with parking and a shuttle. Definitely not fancy, but clean.

Stayed at the Rodeway a few years ago in high season in January, paid about 175 night.  Luckily I get a one night  free stay with my Hyatt credit card so it comes in handy.  Going to stay at an AirBnB on January 2 in Miami.

• Like 1