COVID Testing for Sailings BEFORE 1/17/22 - FYI

susanf31

I just got off the phone with NCL to clarify COVID testing requirements for sailings before 1/17/2022.

#1 - They will be testing you for COVID at the port before allowing you to get on the ship.

BUT....if you test positive, you will not only NOT be getting on the ship, you will also NOT be getting a refund or cruise credit...

UNLESS you have gotten your own COVID test 4 days or less prior to your sailing date.

So - in a nutshell - if you get a COVID test done on your own  no more than 4 days prior to sailing and you test negative but then test positive at the port as you are getting on the ship, you WILL get either a refund or FCC. But if you don't get your own test done independently no more than 4 days prior to boarding the ship and you test positive at the port, you will NOT receive a refund or FCC.

• Thanks 1

You have been grossly misinformed.  Regardless of you having a Covid test in hand prior to arrival at the pier, if you test positive, you will be entitled to a refund. Clearly defined in the Sail Safe policy.

Edited by razor7_us
Typo
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

BUT....if you test positive, you will not only NOT be getting on the ship, you will also NOT be getting a refund or cruise credit...

UNLESS you have gotten your own COVID test 4 days or less prior to your sailing date.

I am concerned that you have received misinformation (or misunderstood what you were told), as this is not NCL's policy, as stated on their web site.  Per the web site, and per what NCL has been doing: if you are denied boarding because you test positive at the pier, you will receive a refund or cruise credit.  What you won't get is help with any quarantine-related expenses unless you voluntarily got tested within 96-hours of your travel date and tested negative.  

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

• Like 7

Guidance followed and implemented by NCL are subject to change, on short notice and as issued or called for - regardless of the stacks of paperworks & fine prints, until one is at the check-in counters and ready to head up the ramp to embarkation.  Rules do, can and have changed ... time after time in the past 20+ months.  

In these challenging times, check and obtain a good travel and wellness policy that doesn't exclude Covid-19 related ... or, roll the dices and take your chances.  Taking nothing for granted these days. 

We plan to invoke our semi-isolation measures to minimize outside contacts with others in the days prior to our next cruise, easier as we don't need to fly or use mass transit to reach the cruise terminal ... 25 minutes ride in a car service, where face masks remained required for the driver & passengers alike. 

Edited by mking8288

It is, in fact there, but for a very specific purpose.  If you fail to comply with any policy they may kick you and not give you a dime.  Being the policy on pre testing is recommended and not a hard rule, I think the NCL rep was confused...again.

• Guests denied embarkation or reboarding, or who are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Norwegian COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.

59 minutes ago, VtMac said:

It is, in fact there, but for a very specific purpose.  If you fail to comply with any policy they may kick you and not give you a dime.  Being the policy on pre testing is recommended and not a hard rule, I think the NCL rep was confused...again.

• Guests denied embarkation or reboarding, or who are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Norwegian COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.

That is a bit confusing to me. What if NCL considers having a negative test to be part of their 'policy", in which case you would be failing to comply if you tested positive? Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it seems sketchy to me.

7 hours ago, susanf31 said:

I just got off the phone with NCL to clarify COVID testing requirements for sailings before 1/17/2022.

#1 - They will be testing you for COVID at the port before allowing you to get on the ship.

So - in a nutshell - if you get a COVID test done on your own  no more than 4 days prior to sailing and you test negative but then test positive at the port as you are getting on the ship, you WILL get either a refund or FCC. But if you don't get your own test done independently no more than 4 days prior to boarding the ship and you test positive at the port, you will NOT receive a refund or FCC.

So,,, this is incorrect.

It is ALWAYS better to read the written policy vs. something you read on Cruise Critic or something some minimum wage call center person spouts off at you (think about your high school kid at an afternoon job representing a cruise line... wanting to sound important, like they know what they are talking about). 

The written policy is as follows: https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

Denial of Embarkation

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases

Cruise Cancelled by Guest

• If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.
Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

@BirdTravels that language is very clear. Thank you.

I know I tend to overkill things, but if I were booking today, I'd be sure to grab a screen shot of the current policy directly from NCL's website (making sure to also include the date from my computer screen).  Like I said, probably overkill.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

How is this, in any way, a helpful post?  Why demean the OP?

I think it's a very logical thing to do; call NCL directly to ask what happens with your cruise fare if you test positive at the port. 

The sad part is that the representative, as the face of NCL, was clearly wrong.  I believe the OP posted here trying to be helpful, and maybe to determine if what she was told was correct.  How was she, or any of us, to know that the NCL rep is giving out bad information?  This is a fail on NCL's part, not the OP.

No need for the "you fell for it hook, line, and sinker." comment.  Completely out of place.

Dan

Do you want a cookie?

So let's say I have a negative test, then fly down to Florida to board, then get a positive test at the port. It is clear to me I can't board and I would get a credit. But what happens then? Can I fly home? Can I stay in a hotel? Would authorities lock me up? What is the procedure?

1 hour ago, jr72 said:

So let's say I have a negative test, then fly down to Florida to board, then get a positive test at the port. It is clear to me I can't board and I would get a credit. But what happens then? Can I fly home? Can I stay in a hotel? Would authorities lock me up? What is the procedure?

I don't think it would be wise to fly if you've tested positive for COVID.  That surely puts a lot of people at risk.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jr72 said:

10's of thousands of people are cruising every week. And we're hypnotizing on "what if" situations. This is no different that "what if I fly to Aunt Sue's for Thanksgiving, start feeling sick, and test positive". At least at the cruise terminal, there are people to support you.... Aunt Sue would likely show you the door. 

If you test positive, you can not take any public transportation. I.e., you can't fly or take Amtrak or even an Uber, they explicitly ask you to confirm that you are COVID free at check-in. 

NCL can assist you with a hotel for the quarantine period. 

People talk about testing positive and treating it like a vacation or a road trip. Consider that with a breakthrough case, if you become symptomatic, you are going to be feeling sick. And spreading the virus to anyone you have contact with. 10% of the people hospitalized for COVID in our town are fully vaccinated,,, those are symptomatic breakthrough cases to the point where you can't breath. 

If you have a deluxe insurance policy, you may be able to arrange for a private medical air charter. But most policies will only evac you to the nearest medical facility. 

BTW: NCL has already had cases of negative tests at home, but positive tests at check-in. With denied boarding. 

2 hours ago, TequilaJane said:

Are the Binax Home proctored tests acceptable by NCL? For coverage incase you test positive at the pier.

I can't imagine they would be.  Once you are at the pier NCL takes over and I'm sure they would rely on their tests and protocols.

Doesn't hurt to use the Binax before you go just to have some assurance that you aren't wasting a trip.  I have a few at home that I need to use when I travel for business, and they are nice for informative purposes.

Dan