Would I need to provide my marriage license to show name change difference?

Tikilyn

Yes.. please bring it. I traveled in October and my passport was still in the process of renewing. I went on 4 cruises, 3 of them with Carnival. All of them required it, along with my birth certificate and drivers license, both getting on the ship, and at customs coming back to Los Angeles. I think there was only one time that I thought they didn't really care and that was with Princess. That being said, the customs agent asked for it getting off that cruise.

• Like 1

Your citizen document and photo ID should match names. If they don’t, you should bring the document that bridges them. So if you have a passport, that is both your citizen document and photo ID. If you use a birth certificate and driver’s license; you should bring a document showing the name change.

• Like 1

While I usually cruise with a passport, for one or two I used my birth certificate.  Never had an issue where I needed to show my marriage certificate, but if you have it, why not bring it?

But in your case, it might just be easier to change the name on the booking to the one that is showing on your birth certificate and driver's license.  Then everything would match, right?

We cruised probably 10 times using birth certificates.  I had a copy of our marriage license with our documents and I would guess it was asked for 3 or 4 times.  Don't know what would have been said if we didn't have it on those occasions because they don't ask for it every time.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone. I would use my passport but it's still processing (renewal) and my cruise is in 13 days. It doesn't look like I'm going to get it back before my trip. I'm just going to bring all 3 documents with me. 

1 hour ago, volfan22701 said:

18 cruises in and my wife has never had hers and never been asked. gone out of 5 different port and this covers 16 years. don't think it is an issue. they know your name changes when married.

Generally, the problem is not with the cruise line and check-in (though some try to match what CBP requires), the problem is that when you go to disembark, CBP "recommends that you have your bridging documents to prevent undue delay".  It is at the CBP officer's discretion, at the disembarkation "interview" (wave through sometimes), whether he/she will ask to see the bridging document.  If you don't have it, you will be sent aside for secondary screening, while they check their database for your information.  It could result in a missed flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Generally, the problem is not with the cruise line and check-in (though some try to match what CBP requires), the problem is that when you go to disembark, CBP "recommends that you have your bridging documents to prevent undue delay".  It is at the CBP officer's discretion, at the disembarkation "interview" (wave through sometimes), whether he/she will ask to see the bridging document.  If you don't have it, you will be sent aside for secondary screening, while they check their database for your information.  It could result in a missed flight.

returned from each cruise and never had one even mention it. doubt she even knows where it is after 35 years.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:20 PM, volfan22701 said:

returned from each cruise and never had one even mention it. doubt she even knows where it is after 35 years.

Yet people on this very topic including myself are telling you it has been asked for.  Instead of dismissing the information just realize you have been lucky.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:23 PM, volfan22701 said:

18 cruises in and my wife has never had hers and never been asked. gone out of 5 different port and this covers 16 years. don't think it is an issue. they know your name changes when married.

Are you still booking her under her old name?

On 11/19/2021 at 3:20 PM, volfan22701 said:

Her birth certificate is presumably much older than her marriage certificate. Not sure why she would keep track of one and not the other. All important documents should go into a secure place.

I have gone on several cruises with BC and driver's license as a married cruiser.  I now have a passport which I have used the last few cruises.  Never been asked for a marriage certificate.  Just cruised in September.  One person in our group traveled with BC and DL.  She had to get in a different line, but was not asked for a bridging document. She is divorced, but her DL is in her married name.  No problem.  My thinking is if your maiden name matches your BC, you should be okay.  If you have your marriage certificate, by all means take it.  Just sharing my experiences, since I have been cruising since 1988.  It was much more of an annoying with how many times they checked our names with our vac record and test.  Just an observation.

2 hours ago, mcgore83 said:

I have gone on several cruises with BC and driver's license as a married cruiser.  I now have a passport which I have used the last few cruises.  Never been asked for a marriage certificate.  Just cruised in September.  One person in our group traveled with BC and DL.  She had to get in a different line, but was not asked for a bridging document. She is divorced, but her DL is in her married name.  No problem.  My thinking is if your maiden name matches your BC, you should be okay.  If you have your marriage certificate, by all means take it.  Just sharing my experiences, since I have been cruising since 1988.  It was much more of an annoying with how many times they checked our names with our vac record and test.  Just an observation.

There is no issues if names on boarding docs match ID.  When names don't match, bridging documents should be brought.  As Chief noted above (and he would know), should they ask, you could be delayed.