Viking Sea Nov 1, 2021 World Cafe Food

bbtondo

I keep seeing photos and postings about the wonderful food in the World Cafe.  Large plates of paella, seafood night, etc.  On our cruise we  ate dinner 3 times in the World Cafe as we were exhausted from our excursions. We didn't see any of this, and asked various staff about theme food and no one could answer our question.  One night at the World Cafe was turkey night.  I LOVE turkey!  The turkey they were carving was so dried up it was ridiculous.  The turkey gravy tasted like you had put an entire salt shaker in it.  Another night they had roast pork.  Same dried up meat. The crab legs and shrimp cocktail on at the World Cafe was "rubbery" like it had just been defrosted from of bag of pre cooked seafood.  I buy frozen raw shrimp from Costco and it comes out great!  

Did I miss something?  Was all the wonderful food at the World Cafe strictly at lunch?  As we were off the ship every day for excursions we never did have lunch on  board except for the first day at the World Cafe.  

Had wonderful lobster thermador in the restaurant one night.  Was that lobster night?  Really loved the food in Manfredi's.  Really didn't like the food at the Chef's table, but that's just a matter of what you like. Not a matter of bad cooking. 

Edited by bbtondo

• bbtondo changed the title to Viking Sea Nov 1, 2021 World Cafe Food

Agree with you that the seafood is cooked then frozen. The shells are soft, which gives it away. Tried it once, yuk. 

The sushi is apparently not bad. Its difficult for us to judge the food, as its aimed at the US passengers and we are Brits, for all we know something we are unimpressed with is done perfectly for US tastes. 

Our bugbear is the breakfasts. Definitely not a full English or Scottish in sight. 

• Like 1

That sounds unpleasant. Sounds like the WC staff left the meat under the heat lamps for too long. 

As I recall from our cruise, the World Cafe had much the same food as the main dining room. We thought it was fine, not wildly remarkable. Ditto Manfredi’s. Our favorite onboard meals were at the Chef’s Table. But the best food by far on our cruise was at a couple of onshore restaurants Viking found for excursions. Oh, and those amazing waffles at Mamsen’s.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

Loved the waffles !  I can tell you absolutely that the world cafe did not have the same food as the other restaurants .  Other people we met were also disappointed. Maybe it was just our cruise? 

we found the cafe food just mediocre....I asked for eggs over easy....the person cooking it flipped it over so many times, it was leather by the time he got done...

generally, Viking food, not great...except for some items in the lounge upstairs....delicious blueberry tarts and apple cake....

I dont really understand why Viking got the 1st place honor for best cruise line...it cant be because of the food.

• Like 2

LOL, it’s so subjective. We find the food onboard Viking to generally be very good and while there are occasional disappointments (Mediterranean Sea Bass) there aren’t also some exceptional dishes (Chilean Sea Bass). 

Both of the above dishes were in the Restaurant but we have favorites in the World Cafe also. The porcetta we had in Iceland was amazing and ranked right up there with some we had in Florence. Same with the chilled pea soup that the chef made special for us after we asked it was on that cruise’s menu rotation. 

I am sure that there are cruiselines that have finer food but from what I can learn they either are significantly more expensive or the food being offered (24 hour caviar) isn’t something that appeals to me. So I am glad we found Viking which hits the sweet spot for us (pun intended). 

Here is a list of our favorites:

Favorite Viking Dishes

Breakfast:

Grilled lamb chops-The Restaurant

Raisin Pistachio Bun-The Living Room

Waffle-Mamsen’s

Potatoes Lyonaise-The World Cafe

Lunch:

Seared tuna-Pool Grill

(we have a salad made at the World Cafe while tuna is being prepared and then have the tuna on top)

Hamburger with Onion Rings-Pool Grill

Open Faced Sandwiches-Mamsen’s

Porcetta on the buffet

Afternoon Tea:

Scones with “proper” clotted cream-The Winter Garden

Pre-dinner:

Cold seafood and sushi-The World Cafe (then enjoy it at the Aquavit Terrace)

Dinner:

Chilean (NOT seared Mediterranean) Sea Bass -The Restaurant 

Cold Pea Soup-The Restaurant/WC

Lotus Menu - The Chef’s Table

Whole Split Lobster-The Restaurant not offered all the time

Steak Florentine-Manfredi’s 

Indian Ryazan broth - tomato soup (vegetarian)

Desserts:

Gelato-The World Cafe, try the sugar free flavors of ice cream and cookies-some we like better than full sugar ones

And had oatmeal cookie ice cream fir the first time on Sky in Iceland   So So good!

Cold Pea Soup-The Restaurant/WC (seriously-it’s that good)

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

LOL, it’s so subjective. We find the food onboard Viking to generally be very good and while there are occasional disappointments (Mediterranean Sea Bass) there aren’t also some exceptional dishes (Chilean Sea Bass). 

Both of the above dishes were in the Restaurant but we have favorites in the World Cafe also. The porcetta we had in Iceland was amazing and ranked right up there with some we had in Florence. Same with the chilled pea soup that the chef made special for us after we asked it was on that cruise’s menu rotation. 

I am sure that there are cruiselines that have finer food but from what I can learn they either are significantly more expensive or the food being offered (24 hour caviar) isn’t something that appeals to me. So I am glad we found Viking which hits the sweet spot for us (pun intended). 

Favorite Viking Dishes

Breakfast:

Waffle-Mamsen’s

Lunch:

Seared tuna-Pool Grill

(we have a salad made at the World Cafe while tuna is being prepared and then have the tuna on top)

Porcetta on the buffet

Afternoon Tea:

Pre-dinner:

Dinner:

Desserts:

Gelato-The World Cafe, try the sugar free flavors of ice cream and cookies-some we like better than full sugar ones

And had oatmeal cookie ice cream fir the first time on Sky in Iceland   So So good!

There's about a 0.05% chance that the "Clilean Sea Bass" was authentic.

5 minutes ago, duquephart said:

There's about a 0.05% chance that the "Clilean Sea Bass" was authentic.

Perhaps, but there is a 100% chance it was delicious all three times we have had it…last time was a special request in The Restaurant but we noticed the next day it was served in the World Cafe. Not quite as tasty but still better than anything I’ve had in the US. 

• Like 6

yeah very subjective...

for us Viking was the best after  the  inedibles on Celebrity...and I do mean inedible...

but then we tried Oceania....all I can say is WOW...

but again, very subjective....

I have yet, though,  to find anyone that says Viking food is better than O....but maybe now someone will....

• Like 1

Who knows? Rock salmon and Vietnamese River cobbler are dogfish. Cornish sardines are pilchards. King crabs are spider crabs and squat lobsters are related to hermit crabs.  Langoustines are just big prawns Caviar is fish eggs.

As you say, it's some sort of seafood that tastes good. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, duquephart said:

The name is made up. Marketing BS. Search "Patagonian Toothfish."

Yes it is a marketing term for a couple of species, Chilean Sea Bass sounds better than Patagonian toothfish. You really do have a bone to pick for some reason.

Lots of fish are marketed under different names. Black Cod (which is not cod) is now marketed as Sablefish. Chinook salmon is known by several different names including "Tyee" and "King" to name a few. I really don't care what they call it...does it taste good to me? Are those crustaceans in the picture Lobster, Spiny Lobster, or Crayfish?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Are those crustaceans in the picture Lobster, Spiny Lobster, or Crayfish?

Rock lobsters, I was told.  From Robinson Crusoe

Island off Chile.  And we did have real Chilean Sea Bass there too.  The best meal he ever had on Viking, according to my DH. 

Edited by SantaFe1

5 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Rock lobsters, I was told.  From Robinson Crusoe

Island off Chile.  And we did have real Chilean Sea Bass there too.  The best meal he ever had on Viking, according to my DH. 

It was a bit of a trick question, Rock lobster and Spiny lobster are both names for similar critters from different parts of the Pacific and in Australia some people know them as Crayfish. In North America "Lobster" are those east coast crustaceans with the claws. In other places they may be called something else.

Like I said who cares what it's called, as long as the "Chilean Sea Bass" is the same every time for those who like it, and the "Mediterranean Sea Bass" tastes the same every time for those who like that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I take it the OP prefers the food on another line. I guess we will find out more about Viking in April when we sail with them for the first time.

Food is absolutely about what a person likes,  Kinda like wine.  The problem that I had with some of the food at the World Cafe was the dried out turkey, dried out roast port, soggy shrimp and soggy crab legs. If I can cook frozen raw shrimp from Costco crisp and delicious why can't Viking?   Seems odd to me.  My DH was so looking forward to the shrimp and crab legs.  Obviously the Chef in charge knows these things.  Why would he send out dried out food?  FYI we got to the world Cafe about 5:30pm.  This is not about taste as much as not cooked correctly. I wonder if they assign the cooks with less experience to the World Cafe? And no, I didn't complain about the food to the Chef.  I really don't want anyone to get in trouble and put them as risk in their job.

Yes, I did like some food on Viking.  Manfredi's was my favorite.  The Restaurant was good most times. Just was disappointed with the World Cafe. Can anyone answer my question about food themes in the World Cafe?  I didn't see any?  Are food themes only at lunch?

I have cruised on Holland American, Celebrity, Regent, Royal Caribbean and yes, Carnival! Was supposed to do the Med Cruise with Oceania but was cancelled due to Covid.  

I had a nice time on Viking.  The service is wonderful!  The cabin was beautiful!  The post cruise hotel in Rome was the best!  I admit that is was a little too sedate for DH and I.  Doesn't mean it's not a good cruise line, but probably not for us again. 

18 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Favorite Viking Dishes

Breakfast:

Waffle-Mamsen’s

Lunch:

Seared tuna-Pool Grill

Porcetta on the buffet

Afternoon Tea:

Pre-dinner:

Dinner:

Desserts:

So glad you enjoyed the food! I have to ask, was the cold seafood at the World Cafe (shrimp and crab legs) soggy and mushy?  If not, I guess I picked the wrong ship! LOL

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

So glad you enjoyed the food! I have to ask, was the cold seafood at the World Cafe (shrimp and crab legs) soggy and mushy?  If not, I guess I picked the wrong ship! LOL

I’m not a crab leg connoisseur so can say anything about them.  The shrimp we’ve had have been good, not great.  I grew up in Charleston so I know good fresh shrimp. These are as you stated likely frozen and I would bet farm raised.  But not soggy/mushy. We enjoy a few shrimp, some sushi and sashimi and hubby a crab leg or two with our predinner cocktail on the Aquavit terrace.  His mom liked the crab legs the first cruise she did but on the second complained they had changed from king to snow or viceversa.  In any case she always asks for them to be heated and for some melted butter. Hubby eats his cold. 

We have sailed on Viking Ocean several times and have found the food to be very good.  We like it's meals better than Regent Seven Seas, Celebrity, Princess and Carnival which we cruised on in the past.  All cruise ship buffets are dependent largely on when you dine there and what you select.   If you are dinning late, and the food has been out a while I would stay away from foods that tend to get dried out or soggy.   I am therefore very surprised you got soggy crab legs at 5:30.   With regard to our eperience with the crab legs at the world cafe, we have never found them to be soggy but most of the times we have had them is when we go there early like at 5:30 for crab legs and sushi to take back to our cabins to enjoy with wine or cocktails to tide us over when we have a late dinner scheduled at Manfredi's or the Chef's Table. With regards to Costco, we love their frozen shrimp, scallops, and crab legs.   We have purchased their chilean sea bass a couple of times but have been disappointed.   That is probably because we divide it into a couple of meals, freezing one for later.   Since most of their chilean sea bass has been previous frozen, freezing it the second time reduces the flavor signifantly.