Dining room dress code - what's the point??

samson66

Our party of 14 friends and family wore different hats and fun stuff each night two weeks ago on the Independence. We turned the "formal" night in to Pirate night. Pirate hats, eyepatches, etc.

We dressed our Pirate best.  

Edited by Pomc99
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Pomc99 said:

Our party of 14 friends and family wore different hats and fun stuff each night two weeks ago on the Independence. We turned the "formal" night in to Pirate night. Pirate hats, eyepatches, etc.

We dressed our Pirate best.  

First time we went on Royal, back on the days that it actually was a formal night, we had one group dress in matching track suits... Think I'd rather have pirates

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 10:44 PM, MommaBear55 said:

Being from the coast of Maine, I twitch whenever someone thinks that is lobster.

I grew up a diver in Florida. I still prefer spiny lobster to Maine, when done correctly. Maine lobster is a little sweeter to me. Although I have never seen/had frozen Maine lobster, I assume if frozen and overcooked as most spiny lobster are there would not be much difference (otherwise why go through the expense of shipping and storing live?).  I always froze lobster in salt water (ocean water) not just with air in a bag. Makes a huge difference in quality when thawed.  If it is rubbery it was overcooked.

Edited by RedIguana
grammar police
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:15 PM, billslowsky said:

It's too bad that "So Fine" jeans are no longer available.  That was a style we could all get behind.

Don't ask, google it.

Glad someone else remembers.

I was thinking of posting a link to the trailer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I grew up a diver in Florida. I still prefer spiny lobster to Maine, when done correctly. Maine lobster is a little sweeter to me. Although I have never seen/had frozen Maine lobster, I assume if frozen and overcooked as most spiny lobster are there would not be much difference (otherwise why go through the expense of shipping and storing live?).  I always froze lobster in salt water (ocean water) not just with air in a bag. Makes a huge difference in quality when thawed.  If it is rubbery it was overcooked.

We've always liked the lobster that RC serves in the MDR and it always taste good no matter what we are wearing. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 2:44 PM, samson66 said:

Just got back from a week on Symphony of the Seas.  We ate dinner in the main dining room all seven nights.  We were shocked to see the complete and total lack of enforcement of the stated dress codes. On the two "formal" nights at least half the crowd was not in any dress clothing at all and dozens were in shorts, t-shirts, baseball hats etc.  The non-formal nights were even worse.

What's the point of even bothering to publish dress codes if you can go in there wearing whatever you like, even on formal nights?  I remember on cruises not that many years ago they flat out wouldn't allow you in wearing shorts on any night and anything less than a jacket and tie on formal nights. 

Just my observations. At this point they might as well just say wear what you want and be done with the act. 

try NCL. they strictly enforce no shorts in the MDR. i was relegated to the secondary MDR. however on oasis i had no issues which pleased me greatly. plus once you sit down, literally no one can see what you wear on your lower half. so for the 5 seconds you see someone i dont see the biggie.  or i have other creative solution but no one has ever taken my advice, eyes on your own party and not others. that is asking the impossible i know for people not to notice others though 

On 11/21/2021 at 2:17 PM, Husky1987 said:

What's the point?

Anyone who thinks the point of the dining room "formal night" dress code is anything other than Royal saying "Hey, let's have people dress up so we can sell more photos" is fooling themselves.

i do wonder about photos. if they only created devices for home use that you could use to memorialize your dress up outfits then no one would need a pic aboard  a ship. but until the tech is available we are just going to have to settle for cruise pics. 

• Haha 2

Doesn't bother me what others wear as long as I'm not forced to sat and eat looking at someone's "floss" (i.e. bikini thong). 

We typically "dress up" in an evening with smart jeans/trousers and t-shirt/shirt combo for the husband, for me a dress and sandals or jeans and a top - exactly what I would wear out if I went for dinner in an evening on holiday if I wasn;t on a cruise or on an evening out.  

Both of us wear business dress Mon - Fri for work so suit for him and OTT business smart for me would just not be comfortable - feel too much like we were still at work! 

37 minutes ago, PolytheneGirl said:

Doesn't bother me what others wear as long as I'm not forced to sat and eat looking at someone's "floss" (i.e. bikini thong). 

And thus why there are 31 flavors....you'll see me in a speed race for the 'chair with the best view' if bikini thongs are involved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We've always liked the lobster that RC serves in the MDR and it always taste good no matter what we are wearing. 

On our last cruise the waiters even automatically assumed we'd want extras and were ready to serve up 2 (one guy had three) if you wanted more.  The lobsters also didn't care what we were wearing 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i do wonder about photos. if they only created devices for home use that you could use to memorialize your dress up outfits then no one would need a pic aboard  a ship. but until the tech is available we are just going to have to settle for cruise pics. 

You can do that with a green screen.

Photo at home in fancy dress.

Photo of location on ship.

Photoshop, DONE. 😄

I don’t want to hijack this fine thread, but I see mention of lobster tails. I looked through the menus for my 4 night cruise on Serenade and only noticed a whole lobster option as an upsell. I can’t even tell which night might be the dressy night. I know we’ll find out on the daily schedule.