News: With The Government Poised To Restart, Who Will Be First To Cruise?

45 minutes ago, Bpos said:

The answer is simple, the larger percentage of cruisers are elderly and thus more prone to contracting (and might I say dying) covid than the rest of population.   On my last few cruises I thought I was in a nursing home and yes I am old too.

I’m interested what you’re last cruise was? 

I’m a Royal Caribbean enthusiast and it’s a McDonald’s or mass market brand ,it caters to the whole family.
One cruise over Christmas there was close to 2,000 teenager and younger out of 5,000 passengers.

There was a lot of extended families grand parents right through to toddlers.
I think it’s great to have a mix in age groups.

27 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m interested what you’re last cruise was? 

I’m a Royal Caribbean enthusiast and it’s a McDonald’s or mass market brand ,it caters to the whole family.
One cruise over Christmas there was close to 2,000 teenager and younger out of 5,000 passengers.

There was a lot of extended families grand parents right through to toddlers.
I think it’s great to have a mix in age groups.

A lot depends on the length of the cruise, and sometimes the itinerary. We did two Princess cruises in 2019. The 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise was mostly seniors. The 8 night South Pacific cruise had a very wide mix of ages.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A lot depends on the length of the cruise, and sometimes the itinerary. We did two Princess cruises in 2019. The 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise was mostly seniors. The 8 night South Pacific cruise had a very wide mix of ages.

That’s right, school holidays,destination and the duration.

But there’s a lot of younger age groups that like the mega ships and that bumps the average statistic up.

Actually the floating apartment blocks are taking over.
Look at virgin , I doubt you would see a grey hair. 

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Morrison has just announced the border will be open to double-vaccinated international visitors from Feb 21st.

Not a word about cruise ships though.

Is your government going to stop issuing lockdowns?  Is it still going to be a state by state decision?  Something an international visitor may want to know before visiting. Can all Australians who were stuck abroad when the borders closed, allowed to come home now?

You can fly to another country to get a cruise or is it not allowed?

Brandee

16 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Is your government going to stop issuing lockdowns?  Is it still going to be a state by state decision?  Something an international visitor may want to know before visiting. Can all Australians who were stuck abroad when the borders closed, allowed to come home now?

You can fly to another country to get a cruise or is it not allowed?

Brandee

It is unlikely there will be more lockdowns.

I've lost track of what is happening with the Western Australian border but it's unlikely there will be more border closures by the rest the states.

Australians have been able to come home for a while now.

Yes, we can travel overseas to cruise and people are already planning to do this. Personally I can't be bothered with all the hassle but reserve the right to change my mind if cruising doesn't look like resuming later this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It is unlikely there will be more lockdowns.

I've lost track of what is happening with the Western Australian border but it's unlikely there will be more border closures by the rest the states.

Australians have been able to come home for a while now.

Yes, we can travel overseas to cruise and people are already planning to do this. Personally I can't be bothered with all the hassle but reserve the right to change my mind if cruising doesn't look like resuming later this year.

Hope you get to cruise by later this year.  Not to sound like I am not concerned, but time is flying by and the body is getting more aches and pains!  We are planning a big year of travel for our 50th, I am a bit nervous but following protocol to stay as safe as we can and still enjoy our golden years! 

By the end of the month NYState will probably remove mask mandate..maybe sooner.  Some town governments in NY are already ignoring the governor's mask mandate.

By summer, here, traveling across the USA will probably be back to normal.  Well, as normal as normal can be.

Edited by BRANDEE

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Morrison has just announced the border will be open to double-vaccinated international visitors from Feb 21st.

Not a word about cruise ships though.

The federal and state governments are paranoid about another Ruby Princess situation, i.e. a ship returning with a couple of hundred positive cases and a dozen bodies in the ship's meat fridge. I fear no one in authority wants to sign off on cruise ship admittance.

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The federal and state governments are paranoid about another Ruby Princess situation, i.e. a ship returning with a couple of hundred positive cases and a dozen bodies in the ship's meat fridge. I fear no one in authority wants to sign off on cruise ship admittance.

Source?

I haven’t read that anywhere. Several sites report that cruiselines, tourism bodies and senior officials in the industry are unable to get meetings with Government at all. They raise the issue of a central guarantee for all tourism: that your Government won’t lock down again.

Alan Joyce has been particularly outspoken about the Governments approach to tourism which has been destructive for nearly 3 years now. He did so 2 days ago.

As present the government seem determined to be the schoolyard bully whilst pretending to act in the good name of all Australians, I don’t think cruising will return unless they guarantee that they’ll stay out of Australians affairs if another scamdemic appears

Cheers

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Which is ridiculous! They are comparing an outbreak on a ship very early in the pandemic when there were no vaccines and no Covid protocols to ships operating with strict Covid protocols and with all passengers and crew vaccinated. 

Remember Ruby had some tests done during their Wellington port visit which were negative so they weren't expecting an outbreak. Also most of the spread among the passengers probably happened while the ship was returning to Sydney, acerbated by sick passengers not going to the medical centre but just carrying on mingling around the ship. And back then some passengers had no clues about hygiene and how viruses spread. We've probably all seen blatant examples of poor hygiene on cruises. I know I have.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ollyoeno said:

Source?

I haven’t read that anywhere. Several sites report that cruiselines, tourism bodies and senior officials in the industry are unable to get meetings with Government at all. They raise the issue of a central guarantee for all tourism: that your Government won’t lock down again.

Alan Joyce has been particularly outspoken about the Governments approach to tourism which has been destructive for nearly 3 years now. He did so 2 days ago.

As present the government seem determined to be the schoolyard bully whilst pretending to act in the good name of all Australians, I don’t think cruising will return unless they guarantee that they’ll stay out of Australians affairs if another scamdemic appears

Cheers

We are one month short of two years since borders were closed - not three years.

42 minutes ago, NSWP said:

To be accurate - there weren't any bodies in the on-board morgue. Some passengers died later.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Which is ridiculous! They are comparing an outbreak on a ship very early in the pandemic when there were no vaccines and no Covid protocols to ships operating with strict Covid protocols and with all passengers and crew vaccinated. 

They aren't worried about outbreaks as such, they are worried what A Current Affair and the Daily Telegraph would say about any outbreak.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

They aren't worried about outbreaks as such, they are worried what A Current Affair and the Daily Telegraph would say about any outbreak.

Good point! After all the opinion of the trashy media is far more important than the economic benefits resuming cruising would bring. Silly me! 

20 hours ago, Bpos said:

The answer is simple, the larger percentage of cruisers are elderly and thus more prone to contracting (and might I say dying) covid than the rest of population.   On my last few cruises I thought I was in a nursing home and yes I am old too.

As you probably know a common term for a cruise ship is 'Floating Nursing Home' lol.

14 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Source?

Cheers

I guess living overseas you must get more accurate information than us . I know for a fact that talks between the govt and the “cruise industry” were under way  to lift the ban even before the original Dec 17th until the omicron variant threw a spanner in the works,  so to say they cannot even get meetings with the govt is rubbish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2