What's your favorite food item on NCL ships?

havanadaydreaming

7 hours ago, fmrlkr said:

Osso Bucco in La Cucina.

I didn't care for it the first time I tried it on an NCL ship, so I didn't order it again for at least a dozen cruises.  I mentioned it to Executive Chef Praveen on the Joy in 2019 and he encouraged me to try it again.  He said it was his specialty.  He even came to La Cucina and personally prepared it.  IT WAS GREAT!!!  I sailed with him again this past September on the Encore and would have tried it again, but the Encore now has Onda instead of La Cucina and I don't remember seeing Osso Buco on the menu.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JustAllie said:

I spent some time in India, and it always seems weird to me when someone mentions "beef" and "curry" together.  There was certainly no beef on the menu at any restaurants I visited in India!  Even the burgers were made with chicken or beans....

I will have to seek out the Indian food at the buffet on my upcoming cruises! 

It depends. This comes from a friend who is Indian and moved to the US. So I am not an expert. 

From she told me, most vegetarians in Indian are Hindu. 

She is Christian, and she was encouraged by her Indian family and church to eat meat. She claims that it is sort of a marker or delineator as Hindus wouldn't eat meat or beef. Ironically, she is in a protestant sect that encourages vegetarianism here in the US and has a health mission. Go figure. 

I had that Osso Bucco at La Cuccina in the Breakaway in October and it was very good!

The best things on the ship though were the filet, shrimp, and scallops (tried my mother in law’s scallops) at Teppanyaki.  All three were outrageously good!!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, NCLGirl2013 said:

For the Indian buffet,  does anyone remember is they had Tikka Masala? That's my absolute favorite on land so if they do I will for sure be looking for it 

Yes, and Channa Masala, Butter chicken, pakora, dal, goat, you name it!

• Like 1

Been following this thread and thinking back on my various sailings and really can't think of a favorite thing on any of the cruise lines.

With that being said, there's been many things that I've enjoyed over the years. Just nothing that stands out where I have to have it again.

I'm sailing Joy in January and I'm going to make a point of paying attention and picking a favorite thing.

Lmao!

Potato soup at O’Sheehan’s! It was a super simple soup, but made perfectly. Velvety (honestly, all NCL creamy soups are great in texture), flavorful, beautifully seasoned. I’m a sucker for potatoes in general, but this was something special. No bacon, cheese, chives or anything- just a simple, fantastic soup.

I almost forgot about my favorite dessert, so I had to edit it in: the chocolate salted caramel tart in the Manhattan Room was so good that I was drooling as I ate it. Flaky pastry crust, smooth chocolate custard, and rich salted caramel. Gosh, it was good.

Edited by Olyrachel
Forgot about dessert!

I was just on the Breakaway, and maybe it's because my wife and I have a tendency to go to nice places, but my favorite food this trip was in the garden cafe and the Manhattan. We went to le bistro and Cagney's, and were quite disappointed in both. Next time we sail on NCL, we may just skip the specialty dining package.

• 6 months later...

Having only been on two Norwegian ships (Escape and Breakaway)  I can't speak for the whole feet.  But the thing I'm looking forward to the most for my upcoming Escape cruise is Prime Rib in the Haven Restaurant!  What can I say?  I'm a carnivore!!!!!!!  I must say, that Porterhouse looks mighty good!!!!!!

Elvis  

Edited by Elvis1209

No doubt - the doublecut lamb chops in Cagney's.

I love Caesar salad, and even though they use the same lettuce, same cheese, same dressing throughout the fleet, somehow I find the "Mexican Caesar" in Cagney's that they serve in a "bowl made of crisp corn tortilla" to be the tastiest.

6 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

No doubt - the doublecut lamb chops in Cagney's.

I love Caesar salad, and even though they use the same lettuce, same cheese, same dressing throughout the fleet, somehow I find the "Mexican Caesar" in Cagney's that they serve in a "bowl made of crisp corn tortilla" to be the tastiest.

LeBistro's escargot 

On 11/25/2021 at 12:43 PM, BSR said:

Lunch was free for the Haven guests and milkshakes were included with the beverage package.  

Not sure if anyone else responded - still getting through the thread, but milkshakes are definitely not included with the free at sea beverage package. I don't know about the premium plus, but we had to purchase the milkshake. 

On the Getaway in April I had the best milkshake I've ever had in my life - the banana milkshake at American Diner was phenomenal on embarkation day. It was still really yummy, but not as good on our last sea day. Instead of chocolate shavings, their were what appeared to be crumbled up cocoa puffs on the rim of the glass. The milkshake itself was so good though. I'll spend that $5 every cruise for the milkshake. 

I wasn't particularly pleased with Cagney's or Teppanyaki, but the Haven Restaurant was excellent. The pork belly appetizer is excellent, as was being able to order a prime rib and lobster tail(s) as often as I wanted. My husband would definitely say the shrimp cocktail. Just because it's not on the menu, doesn't mean you can't have it. He would order it with 6 or 9 shrimps, instead of the 3 that come with it. 

Other than the milkshake I can't say anything was the best I've ever had, but those are my favorites we had on the ship! 

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Also, and I cannot believe I forgot this...it's that old brain of mine!! Almond croissants from the Haven are the absolute best food item on the entire ship. 

I think my wife will like that.  😛

• Like 1