Change to Beverage Cards

Cruise Suzy

In the past our TA has given us promotional beverage cards to use onboard. Not having a beverage package, we made good use of them. Any balance at the end was refunded to our account. This time we had an included beverage package, so didn't use the cards as much. However, we did read this in the fine print on the reverse: Unused portion of card will not be refunded at the end of the cruise. 

We just received our credit from the cruise and nothing from the beverage cards was included. Just the port fees for missing Grand Turk.

So if you have been in the habit of purchasing (or being gifted) beverage cards and getting a refund for the unused portions, you need to rethink how you use them. Probably the change was made because some passengers were using the balance on the promo cards to pay for items purchased in the shops.

On recently booked cruises, the TA has provided OBC rather than beverage cards. Too many people were booking with the included beverage package, not using the cards at all and then complaining about no refund.

• Thanks 2

It used to be that the beverage cards could be used for merchandise offered in the Explorations Cafe - like cookbooks, mugs/glasses, that type of thing.  If that is still allowed, it is something to consider.  Even if one doesn't want the item, it might make a good gift for someone at home.

• Like 1

Wow! thank you very much.  I never noticed that.  Appreciate the heads up.

We do use beverage cards when we forego the Have It All.  And while we don’t have much left on them (if any) at the end of the cruise, we were always refunded.

That’s a shame as  i liked to pre-purchase them when I felt the exchange rate was right.  I can buy them on board of course, but it makes it subject to the exchange rate at the time.

Off to take a look at the “new” beverage card and see if they can be used as @Alberta Quilter kindly pointed out.

Thanks again for the warning 👍 

16 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

It used to be that the beverage cards could be used for merchandise offered in the Explorations Cafe - like cookbooks, mugs/glasses, that type of thing.  If that is still allowed, it is something to consider.  Even if one doesn't want the item, it might make a good gift for someone at home.

The first sentence in the fine print This Beverage Card may be used to purchase beverages or other eligible items at payment terminals aboard the ship. I have no idea what "other eligible items" are included.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 1

Just went in the HAL site and there is nothing there about the card balance being non refundable?  I’m wondering if this applies to promotional beverage cards only?  I’m going to send an email to HAL and ask.  that way, I have it in writing.  I’ll let you know what I find out.

2 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The dirst sentence in the fine print This Beverage Card may be used to purchase beverages or other eligible items at payment terminals aboard the ship. I have no idea what "other eligible items" are included.

There is absolutely nothing on the HAL site about that just to be used for drinks.  Stranger and stranger:

DCE56888-0D72-4804-9127-319A4DE837EC.thumb.png.29d1add5275da609b7ed86dd86019a14.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Could be. Pre-COVID the others were also marked Promotional Beverage Cards. Here is mine from last week.

scan.thumb.jpg.559e76f869bb2cb89f3d5aa000cdddbd.jpg

scan0001.thumb.jpg.cb14b5ecf692cf78cc508a7d1e465162.jpg

Now that’s interesting.  I did lose a beverage card once.  (Got the wrong one back, returned it to the server but mine never appeared) and it was replaced right away with the absolute correct balance with no problem whatsoever.  Again, that was a beverage card I purchased from HAL.

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We used to buy them when you got a 10% discount but once that went away I don’t understand why anyone would buy one.  Just another card to carry around.  If it’s a gift, I get it.

Why carry it around?  Easy.  It saves a pile of charges on my on board account that I have to reconcile and more importantly, it let’s me choose when I want to pay in U.S. dollars.  I have to deal with exchange rates and it can be really worthwhile at times to buy these when I do rather than be subject to the exchange rate the day I get off the ship and am charged 😉 

And for those that like to spread out costs, it can help. 😉 

• Like 3

I'm following this with interest, as I just purchased 2 for our upcoming cruise.  I like a few more drinks than DH, so I purchased a $100 for me and a $50 for him, thinking if we don't use them, the balance will be refunded.  I guess what we'll have to do is watch the balance and see that they're used up (as if that's a problem, LOL).

As far as why anyone would buy them in advance - well, that's $150 less on our bill at the end of the cruise.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We used to buy them when you got a 10% discount but once that went away I don’t understand why anyone would buy one.

You don't? 
I'll tell you why I buy them. I take long cruises, and although I don't have many drinks per day, those can show as a lot of line items on a cruise when I get a final statement. That's a lot to reconcile when I am otherwise busy getting ready to head out. 
Buying a Beverage Card represents one line item. Much easier to check if it is right. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, kazu said:

Why carry it around?  Easy.  It saves a pile of charges on my on board account that I have to reconcile and more importantly, it let’s me choose when I want to pay in U.S. dollars.  I have to deal with exchange rates and it can be really worthwhile at times to buy these when I do rather than be subject to the exchange rate the day I get off the ship and am charged 😉 

And for those that like to spread out costs, it can help. 😉 

Yea I have heard those reasons before but they don’t resonate with me.  I look at my account every day or two anyway so that’s no biggie.  I can’t imagine the exchange rate fluctuates more then a few cents a drinks.

Just now, RuthC said:

You don't? 
I'll tell you why I buy them. I take long cruises, and although I don't have many drinks per day, those can show as a lot of line items on a cruise when I get a final statement. That's a lot to reconcile when I am otherwise busy getting ready to head out. 
Buying a Beverage Card represents one line item. Much easier to check if it is right. 

Ruth, you and I have argued this before. 😜.  I guess once I get a discount and you take it away I refuse to play.  I understand about the longer cruises but usually they give periodic statements.  Plus we just look at our online statement every few day anyway.  Take care.

20 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Ruth, you and I have argued this before. 😜.  I guess once I get a discount and you take it away I refuse to play.

And yet you still don't understand that it is easier for others to use the card, even though it's been explained to you before. 
Interesting. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Yea I have heard those reasons before but they don’t resonate with me.  I look at my account every day or two anyway so that’s no biggie.  I can’t imagine the exchange rate fluctuates more then a few cents a drinks.

Really?  Glad you know so much about how we get dinged on the U.S. exchange rate for us.  Love the empathy and understanding.

Sure, a few cents a drink, several drinks a day times 30 or 35  days adds up.  Why should I pay 10% (or more) if I can buy it earlier?  Seriously?

I don’t mind spending money - we spend lots on board.  In fact, I usually buy OBC as well if I like the exchange rate.  

I already bought some euros as well as I’ve been watching the rate.

It’s my preference - and it can be a big savings - 2-$300 dollars.  Sorry if I choose to be a penny wise rather than a pound foolish person.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, RuthC said:

And yet you still don't understand that it is easier for others to use the card, even though it's been explained to you before. 
Interesting. 

No, I just recognize that what works for some, doesn’t work for all.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Really?  Glad you know so much about how we get dinged on the U.S. exchange rate for us.  Love the empathy and understanding.

Sure, a few cents a drink, several drinks a day times 30 or 35  days adds up.  Why should I pay 10% (or more) if I can buy it earlier?  Seriously?

I don’t mind spending money - we spend lots on board.  In fact, I usually buy OBC as well if I like the exchange rate.  

I already bought some euros as well as I’ve been watching the rate.

It’s my preference - and it can be a big savings - 2-$300 dollars.  Sorry if I choose to be a penny wise rather than a pound foolish.

Obviously this is hitting some hot buttons, not my intention.I have no idea on the fluctuation of Canada $ versus US $ but in my uneducated world, barring some event, can’t imagine it’s meaningful over the life of a cruise.  Don’t know where the 10% figure comes from, maybe a drastic drop in the value of the Canadian $????  Not trying to irritate you but it appears I failed.

10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Obviously this is hitting some hot buttons, not my intention.I have no idea on the fluctuation of Canada $ versus US $

Exactly!  You are not dealing with it so oblivious to the issues.  No idea why you would comment on it if you don’t have to deal with it 😉

10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

but in my uneducated world, barring some event, can’t imagine it’s meaningful over the life of a cruise.  Don’t know where the 10% figure comes from, maybe a drastic drop in the value of the Canadian $????  Not trying to irritate you but it appears I failed.

It’s meaningful BEFORE the cruise.  The fluctuations can be huge. - not always but often.  If you can buy at the right time you can save a big percentage rather than be stuck with the exchange rate on the day the cruise ends when you are billed.

It’s a huge issue here for us  quite often.  The swings can be significant.  

• Like 2

Just now, kazu said:

Exactly!  You are not dealing with it so oblivious.

It’s meaningful BEFORE the cruise.  The fluctuations can be huge. - not always but often.  If you can buy at the right time you can save a big percentage rather than be stuck with the exchange rate on the day the cruise ends when you are billed.

It’s a huge issue here for us  quite often.  The swings can be significant.  

I wish you the best of luck in timing the market fluctuations.

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I wish you the best of luck in timing the market fluctuations.

Thank you.  No one can time the market but I was in the business long enough to read currency forecasts, watch, and if I like the rate, buy.  I don’t fret if it goes a smidge lower - I could even buy more. 😉. I’m more of a dollar cost average type than a timer once I like where things are.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

Nieuw Amsterdam Oct 6, 2021 sailing ships personnel said Beverage Card was not available for purchase.

I did notice that some cruisers had Beverage Cards (probably from promotion).

Peter

Interesting, did they say why?

47 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

Nieuw Amsterdam Oct 6, 2021 sailing ships personnel said Beverage Card was not available for purchase.

Must have meant not available for purchase onboard. Beverage Cards are still listed for purchase on all my booked cruises - Feb 2022 thru Jan 2023. However, the $50 soda card for $25 is no longer available at all.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

46 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Interesting, did they say why?

=====

no.  They did not say why.  I asked for the "plain" beverage card so I wouldn't have to look at the many items in my bill.   Yes, I meant onboard purchase.

I just now looked online at Jan 16 cruise and did not see any Beverage Cards/pkg for purchase.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER