Is the MDR $20 surf & turf "steak house selection" the same as specialty steakhouse's surf & turf?

NutsAboutGolf

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I tried to get a baked potato on a covid cruise and was told not tonight. I'm not even sure if they have regular baked potatoes at all these days. Seems like I've only gotten halves of potatoes (except in the real steakhouse).

But in any event, I don't recall ever seeing one in Cucina, although maybe they could fetch one from another restaurant.

I do remember getting a half potato in the MDR last week on Freedom. But Lido still served whole potatoes on several nights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I tried to get a baked potato on a covid cruise and was told not tonight. I'm not even sure if they have regular baked potatoes at all these days. Seems like I've only gotten halves of potatoes (except in the real steakhouse).

But in any event, I don't recall ever seeing one in Cucina, although maybe they could fetch one from another restaurant.

That's unfortunate, for many a baked potato is a go to side. 

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, sparks1093 said:

I had the filet mignon in the MDR for the $20 surcharge once. I was underwhelmed, although as a cut of meat it was easily worth the $20. It wasn't as tender as I expect filet mignon to be. We went to the steakhouse on our recently completed cruise on Legend and while it was a different cut of meat the NY strip was excellent, cooked perfectly and everything you would expect from the steakhouse. I shied away from the filet because of my prior experience but I'm thinking that I should give it a try when we're on Legend in February. (DW loved her filet mignon but she had it cooked medium well, so I won't talk about that anymore.)

If you want a truly flavorful and tender cut, the ribeye is the way to go. Strips tend to dry out quickly, especially at higher temperatures. They also have a thick strip of fat that is not edible.  The ribeye has better marbling throughout the steak and has a tender, smooth buttery texture. It is more flavorful than the strip also.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

On the Glory MDR dinner menu last night it said there would be a flat iron, I ordered that and receive the sirloin (see below) I also receive a whole potato but it was somewhat small.....

Thanks for the picture!  That works for me and we'll be on the Glory in just over 7 days.  The last few flat iron steaks I got were not very good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KSParrotHead79 said:

If you want a truly flavorful and tender cut, the ribeye is the way to go. Strips tend to dry out quickly, especially at higher temperatures. They also have a thick strip of fat that is not edible.  The ribeye has better marbling throughout the steak and has a tender, smooth buttery texture. It is more flavorful than the strip also.  

Thanks! The strip that I had was very good, my mouth is watering for the ribeye (although thanks to this thread I may revisit the filet actually prepared in the steakhouse).

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 2:48 PM, Cruisesfun65 said:

It's actually the same food, since they make it at the Steakhouse. When you order, they do tell you that it will take a little longer since it has to be cooked and sent down by the Steakhouse. 

Sadly this is not true.

None of the steakhouse selections are cooked in the steakhouse but rather are cooked in the regular MDR galley.

Unfortunately your experience is going to vary based on who actually cooks it. I have found that overall they are less accurate at cooking your steak as ordered. Normally this leans to the rarer side so if you ordered medium well you may receive medium. If you order medium it may be more medium rare. It just depends on the particular crew on the ship.

• Like 1

I had the Lamb Chops in the MDR on the Mardi Gras in August. They were the same as the ones I have had in the Steakhouse 2 years ago and earlier cruises. I have had the Steakhouse steak in the MDR on another ship but not since the virus. Meanwhile the steak at the Diamond lunch on the MG was not the usual Petite Filet We got the cheaper Choice instead. 

I asked both the waiter and hostess tonight.  Both stated, on the Glory at least, steakhouse selections are made in the MDR kitchen.  I then ask if the steakhouse selection steaks are better cuts than the complimentary MDR steaks, was told yes.  The waiter told me the NY strip is his fav thing in the MDR.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 10:56 PM, samiam0403 said:

Just to clarify some things, authentic Japanese wagyu is sold at lots of US restaurants. Authentic Kobe beef is only sold at about 10 US restaurants. Kobe is just one type of wagyu, so all Kobe is wagyu, but not all wagyu is Kobe. For example, the A-5 wagyu steak I had in Nashville a few weeks ago was from the Miyazaki prefecture in Japan and was sublime. The A-5 is a grade that wagyu steaks are given based on their marbling - A-1 is the lowest, A-5 is the highest. If you can swing it, I can not recommend strongly enough that you try it at least once in your life if you love steak. 

In past couple of years Kobe became available for purchase online so its sold as a permanent menu item in around 40 US restaurants.  This isn’t including the restaurants who place an occasional order.

• Like 1

I don't know where they're cooked, but having ordered the surf-n-turf in the steakhouse ~10 times and another ~5 times in the MDR off the steakhouse selections, my experience is the actual steakhouse is better.  It seems as if maybe the "lesser" and/or "smaller" filets and lobster tails are what you get for $20 in the MDR.  I'll continue to do both, but in my opinion, the full $38 experience is a much better value considering the lobster bisque and superior appetizers, desserts and service.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I asked both the waiter and hostess tonight.  Both stated, on the Glory at least, steakhouse selections are made in the MDR kitchen.  I then ask if the steakhouse selection steaks are better cuts than the complimentary MDR steaks, was told yes.  The waiter told me the NY strip is his fav thing in the MDR.

A tablemate (on Fascination, I think) ordered the NY strip and it looked good. He said it was a very good steak and may have even said it was excellent.

I tried the $20 14oz NY strip, I wouldn't order it again.  It was cooked to my likening (medium rare), I'd rate the texture 8 out of 10, but both the beef flavor and seasoning were very bland, I'd rank 4 out of 10.  By no means was it bad, just wasn't worth the $20 IMO.

IMG_4721.jpg

17 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I tried the $20 14oz NY strip, I wouldn't order it again.  It was cooked to my likening (medium rare), I'd rate the texture 8 out of 10, but both the beef flavor and seasoning were very bland, I'd rank 4 out of 10.  By no means was it bad, just wasn't worth the $20 IMO.

IMG_4721.jpg

The NY strip that I had in the steak house was nicely done, tender and tasty. I've only had the filet from the MDR $20 menu and I will order it on my next visit to the steakhouse. The filet in the MDR was worth $20 because I know how much filet costs but it wasn't my favorite.

I realize this goes against everything here, but a year of eating in during the plague has spoiled me forever for steaks.  Between sous vide and a high heat grill, we have perfected our favorite cuts cooked *just* to our liking with a consistency that even rather good steakhouses can't seem to match.  I read these threads and wince, hearing about over or undercooked steaks, inedible fat, or bland beef.  Guess I should be grateful it saves me some money, but I do miss when the local steakhouse (or cruise restaurant) served a steak that I ate without disappointment.  

On the Vista in October, pretty sure the flat iron steak was offered every night in the MDR.  I did order it one evening.  I may not be a steak connoisseur, but I am an expert on what I like, and I liked the steak.  Not the most tender of cuts, but I found it very flavorful and easy enough to chew.  Not much gristle at all.  Would definitely order again, depending on the other MDR entre options.

As for the OP's original question, our waiter in the MDR assured our table mates that the up-priced steak served in the MDR was cooked and delivered from the steak house.  Sounds like a good option, might try it on the next cruise.