Special Single Travel Rates thru Feb 2022

Shelly97060

I am not sure if this has already been posted ( if so sorry for the repeat).

Anyone who has ever travelled solo on Princess knows that the single supplement can be painful ( 200% of fare).  Princess currently has special single travel rates ( 100% -110%) on select cruises. If you are a solo traveler you may want to check out Princess website (do a mock booking and you should be able to see to see if the cruse you are interested in qualifies)  or speak to your TA. 

2576818C-2D32-4E6E-9AE4-FA592A5C2D48.thumb.jpeg.e8f06bd86bd190b33a49c16f297cab5c.jpeg

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

NOW they do this!!  Thanks.  I was on the Regal solo last month and paid the full single tax (which actually wasn't all that much).  I have a cruise on the Majestic in April that unfortunately falls outside of the targeted dates.  The Love Boat Cruise, however, looks like it's eligible, so if you're interested in that one, I suggest grabbing a cabin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChangeOrder said:

That's interesting news. Do you have a link to a post for that, or is it an internal TA kind of thing?

Sorry I can’t post a link because the info is found inside password required TA booking software but if you do a mock booking using a single passenger on the Princess website you should be able to find cruises that have the lower supplement.  ( Mexico, Caribbean, Panama Canal, some California Coastal - including Love Boat cruise) applies to sailings between now and the end of Feb)

18 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Sorry I can’t post a link because the info is found inside password required TA booking software but if you do a mock booking using a single passenger on the Princess website you should be able to find cruises that have the lower supplement.  ( Mexico, Caribbean, Panama Canal, some California Coastal - including Love Boat cruise) applies to sailings between now and the end of Feb)

No worries, and boy did I pour through those bookings yesterday 😄 Just can't quite make myself commit, but the Grand Princess over New Years is super tempting. If only it was like $100 cheaper or had a free upgrade to make me justify it.

I swear most of the other bookings that interested me fall directly on top of work commitments I can't get around. It's like they knew when they scheduled them.

What I love about Princess is that it's super easy to search for solo rates--only NCL, Princess, and Carnival allow you to search by number of passengers. There are some amazing rates on 10-night cruises to Mexico and the CA coast, but I chose a Majestic 7-night to Mexico in February for $400, plus $50 TA credit and $200 in credit from shareholder/military benefits. My only shock was looking at hotel rates, until I realized that the Super Bowl is being played in LA on February 13--fortunately I found a cheap motel in San Pedro, and am flying into Long Beach instead of LAX, which will be a zoo for the poor people trying to do Princess transfers that Saturday. 

Of course I think one reason for the super-cheap fares then is fears of an Omicron surge around then, lots of breakthrough infections, and how the cruise lines and CDC  will handle everything. So a lot of people that hoped for a return for normalcy, tossing the masks, and end of the CSO are probably postponing their cruises. 

Edited by rj59
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took advantage of the low- or no-supplement on the Grand in December.  I'm taking advantage of it (pretty much the same itinerary) on the Ruby in January.  It's a great deal and I don't really care about the ports.  The only downside is you can't get the Princess Plus deal with these, or at least I couldn't on either of my cruises.  While it was $400 per person for double occupancy, I'd have to pay about $1100 more, because I'd pay $400, but would have to pay the full double occupancy rate to get it, which is where the extra money came in.  I sure would like to experience the Princess Plus experience but I'm definitely enjoying the single occupancy rates and I'll have to be satisfied with that.

2 minutes ago, croozer said:

I took advantage of the low- or no-supplement on the Grand in December.  I'm taking advantage of it (pretty much the same itinerary) on the Ruby in January.  It's a great deal and I don't really care about the ports.  The only downside is you can't get the Princess Plus deal with these, or at least I couldn't on either of my cruises.  While it was $400 per person for double occupancy, I'd have to pay about $1100 more, because I'd pay $400, but would have to pay the full double occupancy rate to get it, which is where the extra money came in.  I sure would like to experience the Princess Plus experience but I'm definitely enjoying the single occupancy rates and I'll have to be satisfied with that.

For much less than 1100 dollars you can easily have the experience.  Just buy the beverage and internet package a la carte.  You'd be paying gratuities anyway.  That's the only difference in cost.  

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

For much less than 1100 dollars you can easily have the experience.  Just buy the beverage and internet package a la carte.  You'd be paying gratuities anyway.  That's the only difference in cost.  

I'm not sure how you figure this.  The Princess Plus includes the Beverage Package, Wifi and Crew Gratuities (and recently a Specialty Restaurant dinner and a.  On my 10-day cruise, the wifi is $100, the gratuities are $145 and drink package is $70.79 a day in my booking, or $707.90 for the sailing.  That comes out to $952.90, much more than the $400/per that double occupancy people are paying. I'm still happy with my deal and I'm happy to pay for my drinks, I'd just like to try the experience of freedom.

6 minutes ago, croozer said:

I'm not sure how you figure this.  The Princess Plus includes the Beverage Package, Wifi and Crew Gratuities (and recently a Specialty Restaurant dinner and a.  On my 10-day cruise, the wifi is $100, the gratuities are $145 and drink package is $70.79 a day in my booking, or $707.90 for the sailing.  That comes out to $952.90, much more than the $400/per that double occupancy people are paying. I'm still happy with my deal and I'm happy to pay for my drinks, I'd just like to try the experience of freedom.

I misunderstood and calculated it as a 7 day cruise.  You're correct that you're at the almost break even point on a 10 day cruise.  Perhaps something that you might consider is the Premier Coffee and Soda package at 23.60 per day.  It includes premium and specialty coffees and teas along with fountain sodas, fruit juices, hot chocolate and “zero-proof” mocktails throughout your entire cruise with this beverage package.

The Premier Coffee & Soda Package is $19.99 USD* per person, per day

That would allow you to only pay for alcoholic beverages as you go.

Edited by iamaqt2

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I misunderstood and calculated it as a 7 day cruise.  You're correct that you're at the almost break even point on a 10 day cruise.  Perhaps something that you might consider is the Premier Coffee and Soda package at 23.60 per day.  It includes premium and specialty coffees and teas along with fountain sodas, fruit juices, hot chocolate and “zero-proof” mocktails throughout your entire cruise with this beverage package.

The Premier Coffee & Soda Package is $19.99 USD* per person, per day

That would allow you to only pay for alcoholic beverages as you go.

Thanks, but I'm not at all interested in coffee or soda.  The price for my balcony cabin was $824.  With Princess Plus, it's $1938.  The price for per person for a double occupancy is $749  plus $400  with Princess Plus,  so it's $1169 per person.  I'm getting a break on the cabin, but not getting the same consideration to adding Princess Plus.  I'll stick with paying for my wifi, paying my gratuities and paying for my drinks and still come out hundreds ahead, but I would like to have the experience of Princess Plus like other passengers, especially since I don't need two wifi deals, two gratuities and two beverage packages.

Is it possible that appropriate management does not realize that single travelers cannot upgrade to Princess+ for the standard $40/day?

Let management (starting high up) know there is a flaw in the booking system that does not allow this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, caribill said:

Is it possible that appropriate management does not realize that single travelers cannot upgrade to Princess+ for the standard $40/day?

Let management (starting high up) know there is a flaw in the booking system that does not allow this.

I wondered the same thing.  Last month on the Grand, I wanted to have a friendly discussion with the Future Cruise rep or the Loyalty Club ambassador but they were always very busy and I didn't want to wait in line.  I will try again this month when I go.  I thought perhaps the algorithm hadn't been properly adjusted but a snide Personal Cruise Consultant tried to convince me I was wrong about it (she got nasty after I said that this might be considered discriminatory.)  But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that perhaps this should or could be corrected and I thank you for your comment and support, caribill.

4 hours ago, croozer said:

I wondered the same thing.  Last month on the Grand, I wanted to have a friendly discussion with the Future Cruise rep or the Loyalty Club ambassador but they were always very busy and I didn't want to wait in line.  I will try again this month when I go.  I thought perhaps the algorithm hadn't been properly adjusted but a snide Personal Cruise Consultant tried to convince me I was wrong about it (she got nasty after I said that this might be considered discriminatory.)  But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that perhaps this should or could be corrected and I thank you for your comment and support, caribill.

Yeah it is a rather interesting algorithm to charge double for drinks and wifi for one person.  Sure seems hard to believe, though, that they dont realize its happening!

Before Jan Swartz took over - most cruises had inside and outside cabins at 130% single supplement. I would be ok if they went back to that number.

There were a lot of singles on my Grand sailing. It is about time that Princess realizes that singles are helping Princess fill ships right now and they are important to the cruise line.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Before Jan Swartz took over - most cruises had inside and outside cabins at 130% single supplement. I would be ok if they went back to that number.

There were a lot of singles on my Grand sailing. It is about time that Princess realizes that singles are helping Princess fill ships right now and they are important to the cruise line.

When I heard that the ships were coming back and sailing at limited capacity, I thought this would be a perfect time for the cruise lines to give solo travelers a break and I'm so glad Princess thought of it too.  Not all solo travelers will always cruise alone--if they like a line they will come back with their friends, their family, special grandma and grandchild trips, etc.  I also think a lot of solo travelers book excursions more so than, say, a couple or two couples traveling together who plan their own tours with a cab driver on the pier.  And if they get a deal on the cabin, they splurge at the spa or salons or the gift shops.

1 minute ago, croozer said:

When I heard that the ships were coming back and sailing at limited capacity, I thought this would be a perfect time for the cruise lines to give solo travelers a break and I'm so glad Princess thought of it too.  Not all solo travelers will always cruise alone--if they like a line they will come back with their friends, their family, special grandma and grandchild trips, etc.  I also think a lot of solo travelers book excursions more so than, say, a couple or two couples traveling together who plan their own tours with a cab driver on the pier.  And if they get a deal on the cabin, they splurge at the spa or salons or the gift shops.

I agree. All of my tours were with Princess. I also booked the Plus package. There were a ton of solos on this sailing - they are helping fill the ships that would be even more empty if it wasn't for this. Maybe with a new President - this is a possibility. I plan on writing to John Padgett indicating such.

• Like 1

Interesting read, indeed.  As a solo traveler, I've paid more than my fair share of extra dollars.  I did get a single fare cruise with Princess once when they were positioning from Tahiti to Hawaii.  

I cancelled my April coastal cruises because I'm not comfortable with cruising.  In my 70's, my sister in her 80's, many health issues. just don't feel like cruising.  I miss it, been cruising since 1982, probably at least 35.  I don't go to Caribbean or take a cruise under 14 days, that limits me.  I'm hoping some day I feel better about it. 

• Like 1