Dec 13 Constellation B2B - East/West Caribbean (Holiday) Cruise

Ken the cruiser

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Anybody know what type of vessel or fixture this is? I keep looking at it and can’t figure what it is or what it’s used for.

Hard to tell on my phone, but can you establish whether the 'floor' is capable of being raised and lowered?

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

Hard to tell on my phone, but can you establish whether the 'floor' is capable of being raised and lowered?

It doesn’t look like the floor moves based on all of the boxes leaning up against the sidewalls. In addition there is a horizontal pipe about 15’ off the floor on the wall running the length of the fixture. Here’s another picture. If you look close, there is a guy welding at the waters edge.

image.thumb.jpg.7c7faeaef50ab14ef8954f225e7125be.jpg

Edited by Ken the cruiser

16 minutes ago, CruiserRob said:

It looks like a floating dry dock.

That’s what it is. Thanks! I’ll have to read up on how they get a ship in there.

Update: Here’s a brief summary if anyone is interested.

What are the principles of a floating dry dock?
A floating dry dock is a type of pontoon for dry docking ships, possessing floodable buoyancy chambers and a "U"-shaped cross-section. The walls are used to give the dry dock stability when the floor or deck is below the surface of the water. When valves are opened, the chambers fill with water, causing the dry dock to float lower in the water.

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

BTW we just had a nice selection of hors d’oeuvre delivered to our AQ stateroom. We always thought you had to be in a Concierge cabin to get them delivered daily. Has AQ cabins always received them as well? 

Yes, at least since 2015 when we started cruising.  I think it’s a nice touch but some people don’t like them. My DH always seems to devour them. I’ve enjoyed your review; continue having fun and thank you.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kandtcruisers said:

Yes, at least since 2015 when we started cruising.  I think it’s a nice touch but some people don’t like them. My DH always seems to devour them. I’ve enjoyed your review; continue having fun and thank you.  

Cool! We’ve only booked an AQ once and that was on the Equinox on its last sailing in March 2020 just before cruising shut down. I guess our steward either forgot to ask us if we wanted some or we weren’t paying attention as we do enjoy them.

BTW Kelly, our CD, just came on the loud speaker and stated that if you are not able to socially distance, and there are approximately 1400 passengers on this cruise with definitely a much younger crowd than the last leg with only 400 more senior passengers, to please put on a mask. We’ll see how that “suggestion” takes hold as the cruise progresses. 😎

Had our first delicious dinner in Blu this evening! Afterwards we headed over to the 7 pm show in the main theater to listen to a comedian, Abby Ballin, before heading up to the Reflections Lounge to watch the Holiday version of the very fun True or False game show called Red or Green!

Abby Ballin, Comedian

FE74BF8B-473A-4B64-9FBC-A3BC8FFF2716.thumb.jpeg.3a855397b44a678faf8b4a1c17317b36.jpeg

Red or Green Holiday Game Show

24EE8B2B-A7A7-476B-9A88-AD5BA5EC963D.thumb.jpeg.1b2632584281948a1f363e88d943c0f2.jpeg

19 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, we just discovered a somewhat negative issue regarding our aft-facing AQ cabin. It takes running the hot water for 10 minutes, according to our steward, before the water gets hot. We let it run for 5 minutes just to see and it was starting to get warm. But we will definitely have to remember to run it for a good ten minutes before taking a shower! Thinking positive, it seems a small price to pay for getting an aft-facing cabin at a reasonable price on an M class ship with a walk-in shower. 😂😂

Great news update: Yesterday evening we had PLENTY of hot water! I guess because it was a little chilly all day yesterday combined with the fact there probably weren’t very many guests in the deck 11 aft AQ cabins, none of which were using hot water as it was transition day, the pipes coming from the hot water source a long ways from us probably got pretty cold. In any event, we have hot water. Yay!!! 😎

• Like 1

OK, after enjoying our first dinner last night and breakfast this morning in Blu, we can definitely say we are their new best fans! I realize food opinions are very subjected, so I won’t elaborate other than to say we were totally elated at both sittings!

I asked our waiter this morning, Mar, how many passengers were usually eating breakfast on the last cruise in Blu around the same time, 8 am. He thought for a moment and said 4. Today, there were 22 just while we were there and as you might imagine the crew is quite happy about the increase in numbers. 

Just checked with CS and the official passenger count for this cruise is 1,350 with 45 children. Won’t know the estimate for the next cruise until we get closer to NYE. 

This afternoon after lunch in the MDR, which was very tasty but quite busy, we popped up to the Oceanview Cafe and it was beyond packed!! We initially thought of eating up there for lunch, but we’re glad we chose the MDR. It will be interesting to see what it will be like up in the buffet tomorrow on a port day. 

After that we headed over to the Reflection Lounge to watch Deal or No Deal which pretty much has replaced bingo on most Celebrity ships. 

54779A84-5AFA-411B-8915-A6E9D95FD5A1.thumb.jpeg.c73a00f1312dfdcdb35dd740f2f8f190.jpeg02BFC5D0-3EE1-45B2-AC69-A67D5E5F756B.thumb.jpeg.dbf5ac01bfa25c924a8acc20c34c001a.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Great news update: Yesterday evening we had PLENTY of hot water! I guess because it was a little chilly all day yesterday combined with the fact there probably weren’t very many guests in the deck 11 aft AQ cabins, none of which were using hot water as it was transition day, the pipes coming from the hot water source a long ways from us probably got pretty cold. In any event, we have hot water. Yay!!! 😎

Yes we were in AQ deck 11 on the previous cruise about 2/3 of the way back.

Hot water all depended on usage by others. We normally got up around 6 AM and had to run the sink and shower for at least 10 minutes to get luke warm water !!!

On our cruise probably 1/2 the cabins populated.

On your cruise every cabin is probably occupied !!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, after enjoying our first dinner last night and breakfast this morning in Blu, we can definitely say we are their new best fans! I realize food opinions are very subjected, so I won’t elaborate other than to say we were totally elated at both sittings!

I asked our waiter this morning, Mar, how many passengers were usually eating breakfast on the last cruise in Blu around the same time, 8 am. He thought for a moment and said 4. Today, there were 22 just while we were there and as you might imagine the crew is quite happy about the increase in numbers. 

AQ and BLU are definitely the sweet spot for the price in my opinion.

No way is Luminae worth the 2X price increase for a Sky Suite !!!

My family of 4 ate breakfast every day from about 7:45 till 8:15.

There were always several other couples there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Yes we were in AQ deck 11 on the previous cruise about 2/3 of the way back.

Hot water all depended on usage by others. We normally got up around 6 AM and had to run the sink and shower for at least 10 minutes to get luke warm water !!!

On our cruise probably 1/2 the cabins populated.

On your cruise every cabin is probably occupied !!!

Well, I guess that’s one advantage for having more people on a cruise, especially if you’re in Aqua class on deck 11. 😂😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

AQ and BLU are definitely the sweet spot for the price in my opinion.

No way is Luminae worth the 2X price increase for a Sky Suite !!!

My family of 4 ate breakfast every day from about 7:45 till 8:15.

There were always several other couples there.

We agree, sky suites are getting way too expensive. That’s why we jumped on the very rare last minute 2 for 1 deal in a S1 sky suite on the last leg, which included $1100 in OBC, but are in an AQ cabin on this leg.

I think when I did the cost breakdown it worked out to $86 pp/day after subtracting the OBC and $50 pp/day for the free gratuities, streaming Wi-Fi and premium drink packages. We just couldn’t turn that deal down even if we had to switch cabins on transition day! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just checked with CS and the official passenger count for this cruise is 1,350 with 45 children. Won’t know the estimate for the next cruise until we get closer to NYE. 

This afternoon after lunch in the MDR, which was very tasty but quite busy, we popped up to the Oceanview Cafe and it was beyond packed!! We initially thought of eating up there for lunch, but we’re glad we chose the MDR. It will be interesting to see what it will be like up in the buffet tomorrow on a port day. 

Weird. I had lunch in OV around 1:30 and there were very few people.

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Weird. I had lunch in OV around 1:30 and there were very few people.

Thanks! You’ve just confirmed what our Blu waiter told us this evening when we mentioned how packed the buffet was around 12:30 today. He said if we wait and go to lunch after 1 pm, it is a much more relaxed environment. 😁

• Like 1

Following along as we are hopefully sailing on the January 3 rd itinerary and b2b Jan 14. Thank you, Ken, for your photos and for sharing your experiences, we look forward to more! Wishing you and yours a healthy, fun filled trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For those interested in the rules when going ashore at one of the ports we’re visiting, here is the list we just received in our cabin. Only Colon, Panama appears to have some additional requirements when booking a private tour.

A30FD792-70EF-4766-9318-56578263D6A9.thumb.jpeg.c186f7201c8f90e13002c806babecc2e.jpeg

Just got to reading it more carefully and it looks like someone in communications needs to work a bit on their geography.  Panama, an island?!?

Just curious.  Were you made aware of the government approved tour option in Panama early enough to cancel an X excursion?  The cut-off is 24 hours.  Or were you aware of this before you left Florida?