Arrival Group A - But should I wait? Newbie here

tlcm

Hi all!  Yet another question...

I chose Arrival Group A, thinking I wouldn't have to wait in a long line to embark.  However, I see lots of cruisers seem to board as early as possible, regardless of their Arrival Group Assignment.  In your experience, would I be wise to board at a later time?

Thanks!

Board as early as you can to get started on your "cruise".  Plan on having lunch in the Main Dining Room (opens from noon - 1:30).  You might not be able to drop off your hand carry, but that's not a problem.  Sometimes the cabins are not available upon boarding early.  Do the muster thing then explore the ship.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, tlcm said:

In your experience, would I be wise to board at a later time?

---

The Princess "Arrival Group" is such a BIG JOKE; thousands of us have been conned into worrying and wasting time countless hours and hours on this and other crippled features of the garbage MedallionClass app! 

Please don't be concerned about Arrival Groups at this time.

-- From OUR experiences last month on three different ships from San Pedro and San Francisco, Arrival Group doesn't matter AT ALL.  When you get there, you get there!  Have a wonderful cruise!

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, RSS from SF said:

---

The Princess "Arrival Group" is such a BIG JOKE; thousands of us have been conned into worrying and wasting time countless hours and hours on this and other crippled features of the garbage MedallionClass app! 

Please don't be concerned about Arrival Groups at this time.

-- From OUR experiences last month on three different ships from San Pedro and San Francisco, Arrival Group doesn't matter AT ALL.  When you get there, you get there!  Have a wonderful cruise!

---

Isn't that supposed to be a secret?  😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tlcm said:

I chose Arrival Group A, thinking I wouldn't have to wait in a long line to embark.  However, I see lots of cruisers seem to board as early as possible, regardless of their Arrival Group Assignment.  In your experience, would I be wise to board at a later time?

Thanks!

If you were on same cruise as me to Caribbean and you were also Elite or in a Suite, I would definitely recommend following the Group A time to a "T".  The less folks in competition for the Sanctuary, the better.  😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If you were on same cruise as me to Caribbean and you were also Elite or in a Suite, I would definitely recommend following the Group A time to a "T".  The less folks in competition for the Sanctuary, the better.  😁

Ha ha!  I see!  You'll be glad to know I'm neither Elite nor fancy enough for a suite!  I also am not interested in the Sanctuary.  I don't see what all the hubbub is about.  I do like the look of those fluffy cushions, though. 😉

3 hours ago, tlcm said:

Thanks!

Our philosophy is that the first day is part of our paid cruise.  The more time onboard the better.  😁 Its our one 10 day vacation of the year and we want to enjoy every possible minute onboard.  Plus dropping luggage super early usually means it arrives in the cabin before sailaway too.  

All depends what your preferences are.  

If you choose A and you don't have any other priority boarding you'll be seated in the general area at the port, but board in the first general group after the priority. Likely before 1 pm.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Our philosophy is that the first day is part of our paid cruise.  The more time onboard the better.  😁 Its our one 10 day vacation of the year and we want to enjoy every possible minute onboard.  Plus dropping luggage super early usually means it arrives in the cabin before sailaway too.  

All depends what your preferences are.  

If you choose A and you don't have any other priority boarding you'll be seated in the general area at the port, but board in the first general group after the priority. Likely before 1 pm.   

Agreed: our game is "can we be unpacked and settled in by sailaway?"🥂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fpsphil said:

I have A group for the Majestic on the 15th. Planning on getting to the dock by 11 and hopefully walk right on (Elite as well)

We were on the Majestic 12/4.  We had Group A boarding, arrived at 11:15 am, walked up to check in, the person checked our passport, covid card, negative covid test paperwork.  The ship was ready for us to board.  Our room was ready, view the muster drill on t.v., found the muster check in (this is the way Princess check to make sure you viewed the video).  We walked around Lido deck because the main dining room did not open until noon, had a great salmon entree in a quiet setting.  Great way to start a cruise vacation.  We returned to our room about 12:45 pm, our luggage was already in our room.  Our cruise was 40% capacity.  Majestic is a beautiful ship.  The Harmony and Crown Grill were wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing is that the ships aren’t sailing full now so groups don’t really matter. They are able to take who ever gets to port right on the ship once it’s ready.  It may matter more once ships are sailing full again. And I read on here that you can “check” your carry on bags (whatever that means for you) somewhere and get it when rooms are ready. Didn’t see it advertised but weren’t looking for it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

Agreed: our game is "can we be unpacked and settled in by sail-away?"🥂

Always.  Not to mention several other "business" taken care of such as seen the MD (perhaps not possible now), phoned for WMD, Sanctuary if the right itinerary, toured the ship, met Stewart, obtained wine glasses for the cabin, phoned for mini-bar swap, setup internet, identified where MDR table is located.  

ETA:  Lunch in DR or Alfredo's.  I do the running around and wife unpacks (if you saw another recent post, I mentioned what a great packer she is.  We get together for lunch.  LOL.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Retirement2016 said:

We were on the Majestic 12/4.  We had Group A boarding, arrived at 11:15 am, walked up to check in, the person checked our passport, covid card, negative covid test paperwork.  The ship was ready for us to board.  Our room was ready, view the muster drill on t.v., found the muster check in (this is the way Princess check to make sure you viewed the video).  We walked around Lido deck because the main dining room did not open until noon, had a great salmon entree in a quiet setting.  Great way to start a cruise vacation.  We returned to our room about 12:45 pm, our luggage was already in our room.  Our cruise was 40% capacity.  Majestic is a beautiful ship.  The Harmony and Crown Grill were wonderful.

I’m assuming Jan will be about the same capacity with it being away from the Holidays and the more general “slow” season. Have Crown Grill booked for my birthday. Really looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Retirement2016 said:

Thank you for all the details.  Are you Elite, Suite, or steerage like me?  😆 

I’m assuming Jan will be about the same capacity with it being away from the Holidays and the more general “slow” season. Have Crown Grill booked for my birthday. Really looking forward to it.

Happy Birthday!  If you like red meat, go for the filet, if you are fish person, the seabass was wonderful.  

Forgot to add:  I don't care for the Crown Grill desserts, so I always ask if I can pick two appetizers, the answer have always been "yes".  I think the desserts in the International Cafe is better and to my liking.

8 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

But alas, I'd rather lose a couple/few hours of ship time in lieu of not having to schlep my bags around.  BTW, do platinum members get to drop off their bags in their rooms?  Maybe that's what I can do now.

2 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

And I read on here that you can “check” your carry on bags (whatever that means for you) somewhere and get it when rooms are ready. Didn’t see it advertised but weren’t looking for it. 

In our pre-Covid experience if embarkation begins before all the cabins are ready, you can drop your hand luggage off at a designated location (I remember the Crown Grill on one cruise, and I've noted some recent passengers on the newest Royal class ships saying the drop off location was Take 5 IIRC). Staff will give you a claim ticket.  Access to your cabin is not based on status and all cabins are opened at the same time usually around 1 pm.

No one asked about my arrival group at check-in on either of my cruises this year--on the Majestic in August and the Caribbean last week. I was the first new passenger on the Caribbean last week. There were a ton of passengers who stayed from the previous week. They were allowed back on the ship before those of us beginning our cruise that day.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fpsphil said:

I have A group for the Majestic on the 15th. Planning on getting to the dock by 11 and hopefully walk right on (Elite as well)

Just got off the Majestic on Saturday.  Was group A.  Got to the pier about 10:40.  Was through check in and in the Elite area by 10:45.  They started boarding the Elite lounge about 11:15.  

The rooms became accessible about 12:15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, nocl said:

Just got off the Majestic on Saturday.  Was group A.  Got to the pier about 10:40.  Was through check in and in the Elite area by 10:45.  They started boarding the Elite lounge about 11:15.  

The rooms became accessible about 12:15.

Its going to be nice to board a ship without a long wait or dock stress in a long time