The 2 Days pre Test

mcrcruiser

30 minutes ago, Roz said:

We have to be tested on the ship???  This is out of control.

====

If I remember -  every 5 or 6 days.   You walk in at your designated time to test in Upper Dining room,   get sent to a table and swabbed about an inch in nostrils,   stick it in the envelope then you walk out.    Less than 5 minutes.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

====

If I remember -  every 5 or 6 days.   You walk in at your designated time to test in Upper Dining room,   get sent to a table and swabbed about an inch in nostrils,   stick it in the envelope then you walk out.    Less than 5 minutes.

Peter

1 hour ago, Roz said:

@SFO PETER, thank you.  My sister is going to go ballistic.

We were on the Rotterdam for 21 days (Nov. 10-Dec. 1) and we were only tested once. That test was done because the cruise was a B2B and they tested us 2 days prior to the turnaround.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Thats only for people doing a back-to-back or flying out of the country upon completion of the cruise.

After 7 days in the Caribbean we were not tested and just went from the ship to the airport to fly home (within the continental US).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Only those remaining on the ship for a subsequent cruise will be tested.  Those disembarking will not be tested unless they request to be for flights going to Canada.

3 hours ago, seaoma said:

We were on the Rotterdam for 21 days (Nov. 10-Dec. 1) and we were only tested once. That test was done because the cruise was a B2B and they tested us 2 days prior to the turnaround.

The crew protocol is every 7 days.  Would be interesting to find out what the protocol is for max time for passengers between tests on the longer cruises compared to B2B with shorter cruises.

On 12/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, Roz said:

I'm stressing over this for my March cruise.  I already cancelled my December river cruise that was supposed to depart Amsterdam on Dec. 6.  I wasn't confident I could meet their testing requirements and other Covid restrictions and hoops to jump thru.

Covid tests are very difficult to get in Middle TN even for those who are sick.  I can get a PCR test at Walgreen's and CVS but it may be a 72-hr. turnaround time which is not going to work.  They don't offer the quick antigen test.  For the home tests, how do you get your results in a form that will be accepted by the cruise line?

The more I read and research, the more confused I get.  

I live in Florida and a friend recommended an Urgent Care facility.  They are open 7 days a week and I didn't need an appointment.  They did the rapid test and we had our results in 15 minutes.  If you're coming to Florida a couple of days early google "urgent care facilities" in Port Everglades and see if they offer the rapid test.

Helen

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nocl said:

The crew protocol is every 7 days.  Would be interesting to find out what the protocol is for max time for passengers between tests on the longer cruises compared to B2B with shorter cruises.

Glad to hear about the crew protocol!

I may find out about the passenger timeline, but it won't be for a few more months. My husband and I will be on the 35 day Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas, if it actually sails.

I won't be bothered by taking a test anytime they want to give me one. I would be very  unhappy to test positive, but I would want to know.  

9 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

==

I believe when looked yesterday OptumRX had two pack for about $78.   Please make sure the test kit does not expire before your travel date before buying.

Peter

I know initially at least Abbott got an extension from 6 to 12 months from I am guessing the FDA for their proctored tests. Ours was in that batch. 

Edited by fatcat04

On 12/14/2021 at 7:22 PM, Roz said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  You've given me some options to explore.

Our hospitals and their associated satellite clinics won't give Covid tests without a doctor's order, and the urgent care centers won't guarantee a turnaround time.  I'm flying into FLL a day early so I need to do the test in Nashville on March 18 for a March 20 sailing or have something set up in Ft. Lauderdale that will guarantee me quick results.  

It's ridiculous the amt. of time and money and stress being spent on this, when the odds of a shipful of older vaccinated adults spreading Covid is very low.  I stand a greater risk of getting Covid from the morons I work with that won't get vaccinated.  

Do the Navica app eMed test. It is super easy. You get 6 tests for $150. We are headed to St Martin in Feb and we are using them again to get back into the US. It was super easy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

I know initially at least Abbott got an extension from 6 to 12 months from I am guessing the FDA for their proctored tests. Ours was in that batch. 

====

Look at the expiration (hourglass) date on the box.   May need to slide the sleeve to one side but do not open the box until instructed by the proctor.   From the stated expiration date on the box add three months to this date.     >>Currently<< that is how you determine extended expiration when you receive the kits.   This may change.   I have not read of anyone who has kits expiring past Feb 2022 right now.  On the web it says that kits are good until early Feb 2022.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER

For Floridians, passing along our experience using this Nomi site for FREE quick testing....(this is contracted thru the State of Florida).

We had 9:30am appointments this morning and got emailed and text results back in 30 minutes.  

Daughter (in Orlando) had no appointment (this morning) but went thru the line and was done in 30 minutes.  Email results came shortly thereafter.  

Here is the link...and thanks FLORIDA!

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/26/onsite

1 hour ago, SFO PETER said:

pulled this off from HAL FAQs Dec 16.   May be useful for some.

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 8.28.57 AM

This is very helpful information...I searched for this earlier today in the FAQ's and don't see it.  I'd like to click on the here and see where they are suggesting ordering from...

54 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

Travel well section under Covid 19 testing.  Where get tested.   see if this link works.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

As always, Cruise Critic boards are such a help....thanks so much. 

On 12/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Several people mentioned printing their test results (which we did last month).

Has anyone just showed the results by handing over their phone or iPad at embarkation?

I ask because we’ll be traveling two days before and will have to try and get the result printed at the hotel. Several hotels where I stayed during the pandemic had shut down their business centers. 

Digitial results ARE accepted as long as it was a medically supervised test.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:10 AM, fatcat04 said:

Correct FDA has extended the expiration dates on the Binax tests. Also for those that don't know, it is a two-pack, so you get one test each for a couple. you DON'T need to order two test packs from Optum. Also, the 2-pack is $69.99

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

Edited by cruiseguy56

Hopefully this is the last question from me on this thread.....we have appointments for testing at 10:30 and 10:45 two days prior to our cruise.  Our boarding time is at noon.  For those of you who have been there and done this....those times are okay correct?  It does not need to be 48 hours, it can be two days as anytime two days prior.  Know I'm just getting paranoid....but it would be good to hear from someone who was just over 48 hours, yet two days prior.  

12 minutes ago, Sunflower &amp; The Scientist said:

Hopefully this is the last question from me on this thread.....we have appointments for testing at 10:30 and 10:45 two days prior to our cruise.  Our boarding time is at noon.  For those of you who have been there and done this....those times are okay correct?  It does not need to be 48 hours, it can be two days as anytime two days prior.  Know I'm just getting paranoid....but it would be good to hear from someone who was just over 48 hours, yet two days prior.  

====

use days not hours.

e.g.

Fri to Sat = 1 day

Sat to Sun = 1 day

For a Sunday departure you need to not test before Friday anytime.  This satisfies the two day requirement.

Peter

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 4:53 AM, Suzcruz57 said:

Our CVS in Florida doesn’t offer testing Dec 24 or 25. We need ours the 24. Walgreens requires to register with all your info before you can even schedule. MD Now I guess is our best option. Open 365 days a year🙏🏻 No appointments necessary, just walk in.

Are you on a holiday cruise ? HAL is offering testing in Ft Lauderdale and San Diego at the cruise terminal through January 9, 2022. Cost is $100 and billed to your onboard account; appointments can be booked 10 days in advance.   

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

We just returned from 2.5wks in Spain on Sunday. We did the BinaxNow test the day before our flight. We did it at 7am in our hotel room since we heard of people having to wait a long time. We got someone immediately. We had already registered on the Navica app, so it was easy to sign in and get it done. We also registered on the VeriFly app that AA recommended. When we arrived at the airport the line was very long, but we showed our results on the VeriFly app and were sent to an empty line for VeriFly passengers. 

We want to cruise in February 2022. We have two boxes left over since we purchased 4 boxes. We bought them in October and all 4 boxes came with an expiration date of September 2021. We received a card asking us to go to www.emed.com/FDA where it says that the use of these tests was extended for 12 months. So we're trying to find out if our boxes are still good until March 2022 since that's the date of this letter from the FDA. 

• Like 1

SFO Peter, you're correct.

We bought them from the Optum store. We just checked their website and this is what it says. Had we known this, we would not have accepted a test with an expiration date before the day we purchased it. But it served the purpose for which we needed it, which was to return to the US this past Sunday. 

Currently available test kits may expire as early as February 3, 2022. Please allow up to three business days for delivery. Ships via expedited service within the U.S. only. May not be purchased with other items.

This is accepted by airlines for passengers returning to the U.S. from a trip abroad or with cruise lines with ships originating from the U.S.

• Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is FDA Emergency Use Authorized. This test combined with eMed telehealth services, and eMed lab's result, meets conditions of proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC.
  • Note: All BinaxNOW Covid-19 tests originally expired after nine months. However, the FDA subsequently issued guidance allowing tests to remain effective for an additional three months. Upon receipt of your tests, please check the listed expiration date - the actual expiration will be three months after that date. For example, a test with a listed expiration date of November 1, 2021 will actually expire on February 1, 2022.