Bathtubes removed from Penthouse Suites on the Pearl-Just got a letter.

JCMass.

Well, we are already priority due to penthouse and 2 days away from 4 stars. And we didn't pay for this. So cannot wait for our TA to return from holiday and learn what is what. Strange that both letters (tubs and this) were sent on the same day.

Stay tuned!

margretha

• 2 weeks later...

We're considering a Canada/New England cruise on the Pearl and would book a 2 bedroom suite.  We've had such suites before and haven't used the tub.  I wonder if its removal might result in enlargement of the tiny balcony.  That would be an improvement imho.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

We're considering a Canada/New England cruise on the Pearl and would book a 2 bedroom suite.  We've had such suites before and haven't used the tub.  I wonder if its removal might result in enlargement of the tiny balcony.  That would be an improvement imho.

Alas, nope!

But you'd get one of the largest shower enclosures you've seen, including with that big window.

😠

Still one of the smallest balconies, and one that is for a suite that is *intended* for up to 6 passegers.

And the NCL website still shows the old configuration, along with this note:

"Note: Norwegian Pearl accommodations will undergo a significant renovation. After December 5, 2021, this stateroom will no longer have a bathtub, and the photos and floorplan will change."

Someone posted a photo of the new bathroom, but I can't find it just now.

So, although it is well after December 5th, AND there are paying passengers who are ALREADY sailing on this ship, in this Haven, IN THESE SUITES, NCL is apparently still trying to find actual diagrams - which *must* have been approved many months prior to the completion of construction...

They keep stating that they'll have those "soon".

?

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, pbenjamin said:

Oh well. Let me know if you find the picture. 

And here's what the 2 Bedroom Suite bathroom USED to look like. I much prefer this version, it's brighter and it didn't have that added half wall, and of course the bathtub still exists in this photo, which is gone now. The balcony is still the same size, although you can't see it in this pic:

1620825995_NCLPearl2BedroomSuiteBathroomprerenovation.jpg.3dd75b2effe8a146e9d84d3a51a1ea14.jpg

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

so they ripped out a great shower and tub and made one huge shower where the whole world can see you - yuck.

And obstructed the window sea view from bed with a crappy wall half way through the window. Ummmmmm great job. Not. 

Starting to wonder if they took those bathtubs away just to make some more people buy a spa pass/spa appointments. Those who like to soak on a bath during a cruise can now just buy an (expensive as hell I am sure 😏) spa bath appointment. All done for the convenience of the guests. Of course 😁

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

And obstructed the window sea view from bed with a crappy wall half way through the window. Ummmmmm great job. Not. 

Yup.  😡

And that almost-half wall?  It doesn't even match in height the door/frame to the side.  How difficult would that have been?

I can't tell what the material is from this photo, but it gives a charming appearance in a photo of being particle board!  Okay, maybe it will crumble in the moisture soon.  That's hopeful!

What was/is the need for that "wall"? Is there really another new shower head back there?  A shower for two would be nice; the two could wave to each other!

I still don't understand, and will probably NEVER understand why they took that wonderful tub-with-a-view out.  For those who find getting into/out of tubs difficult, or who just don't like tubs... no problem.  There was a terrific shower already there, separately.

We're scheduled in one of these 2BR suites in 2023 (IF we are traveling again then!), taking the family with us.  After that, it's probably the end of these for us, and we loved them.  DH used to joke that he was cruising with a private office (that little bedroom).  😄

Sigh.

And for the pricing on the Haven 2BR suite (not quite as bad for Non-haven 2BR suites), there are a lot of options on other lines, including a favorite, Oceania.  And we'll be looking elsewhere, too, now...

GC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arizona Packer Backer said:

Hi pbenjamin, here's the photos of what the 2 Bedroom Suite on the Pearl looks like now, assuming I uploaded the photo correctly:

52 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

so they ripped out a great shower and tub and made one huge shower where the whole world can see you - yuck.

Is there really no sort of window covering now that it's a shower?    (I don't see on in the photo.)

Too bad.  It looks good but what waste of space.  

We are cruising on the Dawn(hopefully) and  from what I can tell the tub is still there.  Can any one from recent cruises verify that?  

@MoCruiseFanDidn’t you say you were in one of those suites on the Dawn recently?  I’m sure folks would like like to know which ships may still have the tubs.  

@GeezerCruiseris correct, the walk-in shower is available. We use the tub as a private hot tub. 

this is also really disappointing for families (who book these two room suites more than anyone)- having a tub for young kids is really really helpful. There's no tub in the second bathroom either, so that really stinks for bathing kids in these rooms. What a bad idea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Is there really no sort of window covering now that it's a shower?    (I don't see on in the photo.)

I think there is still a window covering, it's just all the way up in the photo. It's one of those window shades that you just pull down, you can see it if you zoom in.

Pictures great - need picture of the shower detailing 

Looks like the double sink vanity was also redone and the mirror lighting ?

Did NCL install one of those sun flower shower heads and kept the in wall horizontal sprays ?

On the JEWEL Class ships there are 10 2BR suites on deck 11 were those converted as well as

the 8 or so deck 14 Haven 2BRs ?

Or put another way are all bath tubs being removed regardless of cabin and location ?

Re: the window glass - the only one of concern would be the port hole one looking out onto

the small balcony. The view window looking out to sea has a tint to it and the pull down shade

for further modesty concern. Only if parked next to a 7 story building or another ship would

there really be any serious concern.

3 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Pictures great - need picture of the shower detailing 

Looks like the double sink vanity was also redone and the mirror lighting ?

Did NCL install one of those sun flower shower heads and kept the in wall horizontal sprays ?

On the JEWEL Class ships there are 10 2BR suites on deck 11 were those converted as well as

the 8 or so deck 14 Haven 2BRs ?

Or put another way are all bath tubs being removed regardless of cabin and location ?

Re: the window glass - the only one of concern would be the port hole one looking out onto

the small balcony. The view window looking out to sea has a tint to it and the pull down shade

for further modesty concern. Only if parked next to a 7 story building or another ship would

there really be any serious concern.

New design bathroom is stunning .  What is the concern with the cool shower window?  You’re sailing out on the ocean, sharks and dolphins playing peekaboo?

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

New design bathroom is stunning .  What is the concern with the cool shower window?  You’re sailing out on the ocean, sharks and dolphins playing peekaboo?

It's possible to wake up some mornings and notice those other friendly cruise passengers on their balcony a stone throw away, on that ship next to your ship!

"Hello there!!!" 😱

But no, when sailing, that window was just glorious, sitting in the tub, possibly covered in bubbles 🙂

What use is a shower stall that wide, if the shower head is all the way in one corner?

Did they actually add another shower head on the other side?  (I'd doubt that, but I could be wrong.)

GC

• Like 1

Interesting. Thank you for posting the photos.  If you love tubs these new suites will disappoint.  I wonder if the reason they were removed was for liability reasons. You know how they say the bathtub is the most dangerous part of the house 😆.  I just dont understand why you would go to such expense and bother to remove tubs. I dont buy the spa pass theory because the spa already sells out and they dont need more customers.

Edited by david_sobe

4 minutes ago, KTraveler1 said:

A little off topic, but can anyone tell me about the bed in the second bedroom of the 2-bedroom suite?  My husband and I might sleep there while my elderly parents take the “adult” bedroom.

It’s very basic, very tough, sofa to double bed type of bed. You’d be disappointed in it, your elderly parents would be misersble having it. In my opinion it is suitable only for kids or a teen who is just over the moon of having his/her own room. You can see the bed in sofa mode on this video at 0:15 (15sec): 

If you want to see it opened up you can get an idea from this (look for the pic with a bunk bed opened up too): 

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Norwegian-Gem&cabin=11512