Celebrity Select Reservations Needed?

luvsun22

9 minutes ago, luvsun22 said:

We're on the Silhouette January 14th with Celebrity Select Dining. In the past I have always made reservations, but I'm wondering if they'll be needed with lower capacity? Does anyone have recent experience with Select dining? 

Prior to Covid, we always made reservations for Select Dining to ensure we wouldn't be at the end of a long waiting line to eat at 7:00 pm. Having said that, we still made reservations for our January 9th Equinox sailing because the ship is definitely not sailing at a lower capacity based on the number amount of still available cabins!!

21 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Prior to Covid, we always made reservations for Select Dining to ensure we wouldn't be at the end of a long waiting line to eat at 7:00 pm.

I made reservations fo our Staycation cruise in August on Silhouette, but availability was 18.45 or 19,15.

I am Dairy Intolerant, so it ensured we were placed with the same waiter the whole of the cruise.

On the Reflection, we simply walked up when we wanted to eat and were immediately seated.  We arrived generally within ~45 min of the opening time.   Same table every night we were in the MDR.  

During our cruise last week, we had made reservations for 6:30, but found ourselves eating earlier... we had the same table. On one evening we came at 6:30 and our table had been given to another couple. Our waiter saw us coming and quickly set up another table. I will tell you that I did hear the hostess turn a guy away saying that there wasn't a table available. The place looked empty, but many tables had not been set up..so I assume it was a social distancing issue. So I suspect that during slower times there will be no issue, but perhaps during the busier times there could be a delay. 

Curious about why people make reservations for select dining. We rather enjoy showing up when we feel like it, being given a pager if necessary, and heading to cellar masters for a pre-dinner drink while we wait. 

On our Nov Reflection cruise, we knew it wasn't busy so we headed to cellar masters before checking in.  On a couple of nights, there was a line at opening for 20+ minutes. Relaxing with wine worked for us. 

1 hour ago, D C said:

Curious about why people make reservations for select dining. We rather enjoy showing up when we feel like it, being given a pager if necessary, and heading to cellar masters for a pre-dinner drink while we wait. 

I have thought the same thing. On 12+ cruises all in Select or Anytime dining, I do not recall ever having to wait more than 15 minutes for a table, no matter how full the ship was. We prefer to enter MDR between 6:15 and 7:00 which is why we choose anytime dinning, traditional early seating has always been too early and late way too late for us. The lines people complain about in Select are from those who show up the minute the MDR opens up. 

• Like 1

I did make reservations online for MDR restaurants on Apex.  One day I called to change a time and was told that it was not necessary to cancel the reservation and to make a new time - just show up.  I do think this works as long as the cruise is not booked fully.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, D C said:

On our Nov Reflection cruise, we knew it wasn't busy so we headed to cellar masters before checking in.  On a couple of nights, there was a line at opening for 20+ minutes. Relaxing with wine worked for us. 

Celebrity has been sending me e-mails reminding me that I haven't made my Select reservations . . . for a cruise next August. Heck, I don't know when I will be eating tonight, never mind in 8 months.

We just got off the Constellation in December.

Prior to this cruise we had always made a standing reservation for our select dining.

It was a huge headache !

Even though we and others had reservations we always had to wait an additional 10-20 minutes to be seated.

One night we had to wait nearly and hour while folks just walking up got seated immediately.