Booking on board

ak1004

29 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Depends on if the cruise booking in question has availability in your cat  sometimes they will give you the lower price  if you ask

Yes.  I got the onboard discount on an existing booking for a cruise  that had availability in the same cabin category when I checked onboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

That's unfortunate. What prevents me from canceling and rebooking with the discount?

Nothing. However, the rebooking will be subject to the current fare, O Life perks, air credit, etc at that time. Do the math since the bottom line total deal could be worse even with the book onboard discount.

Of course, if you mostly “book onboard,” you have the “price drop match guarantee.” But, it too has fine print: There must be still cabin availability to get the match.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nothing. However, the rebooking will be subject to the current fare, O Life perks, air credit, etc at that time. Do the math since the bottom line total deal could be worse even with the book onboard discount.

Of course, if you mostly “book onboard,” you have the “price drop match guarantee.” But, it too has fine print: There must be still cabin availability to get the match.

Yes, those caveats applied to my onboard discount, but the pricing and benefits for my booking had not changed, so it worked out for me.

Edited by 1985rz1

Although it is a little surprising to me, Celebrity will allow you to have two bookings at the same time for the exact same cruise.  I do not know if Oceania is the same, but it might be worth a try.

Edited by jagoffee

Just now, pinotlover said:

So , after I board next month, I can now expect to go in an get onboard booking discounts on my currently 3 other booked cruises!!! All right!!!

You already know that’s not necessarily true.

In my experience, it has been applicable to cruises booked within 30 days prior to the cruise on which you’re considering a “book onboard” and only for added cruises that still have cabin availability. And still, current prices/perks/etc apply.  
FWIW: In many cases, not the great deal some might think it is.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In my experience, it has been applicable to cruises booked within 30 days prior to the cruise on which you’re considering a “book onboard” and only for added cruises that still have cabin availability. And still, current prices/perks/etc apply.  

Both our cruises were booked more than 30 days ago. We remained in the same cabin, so i would say it's a great deal. But maybe this is not always the case.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Neither of these reservations were booked on board. I  just got off Riviera on Dec 13th and got the onboard savings on my May cruise which still had availability in my cabin category and not for my Dec cruise because my category was now waitlist but Oceania replied "

At this time, the category you reserved is fully booked and is now on a Waitlist, so they are unable to apply the Onboard Savings to your reservation. The Onboard Savings is only applicable to inventory which is currently available.

However, I am pleased to advise that I have been able to apply the $200 Oceania Club Certificate from this voyage to your future reservation. This will be reflected as a discount off the cost of the cruise. Notice of this has already been forwarded to your travel advisor."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisingxpert said:

Neither of these reservations were booked on board. I  just got off Riviera on Dec 13th and got the onboard savings on my May cruise which still had availability in my cabin category and not for my Dec cruise because my category was now waitlist but Oceania replied "

At this time, the category you reserved is fully booked and is now on a Waitlist, so they are unable to apply the Onboard Savings to your reservation. The Onboard Savings is only applicable to inventory which is currently available.

However, I am pleased to advise that I have been able to apply the $200 Oceania Club Certificate from this voyage to your future reservation. This will be reflected as a discount off the cost of the cruise. Notice of this has already been forwarded to your travel advisor."

Yes. This is my understanding as well. But, folks still need to do the math if the existing bookings had a better original deal than what is available for rebooking onboard (particularly if the original booking was done more than a month prior to embarkation. 
Of course, as always, the right onboard O Ambassador can work wonders. And, with the exception of one guy (who will remain a nameless nimrod), they’re all terrific.

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes. This is my understanding as well. But, folks still need to do the math if the existing bookings had a better original deal than what is available for rebooking onboard (particularly if the original booking was done more than a month prior to embarkation. 
Of course, as always, the right onboard O Ambassador can work wonders. And, with the exception of one guy (who will remain a nameless nimrod), they’re all terrific.

I didn't rebook.  I had a lower price than current booking prices and got the onboard savings applied to my original booking which was booked with ta months before. 

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

So , after I board next month, I can now expect to go in an get onboard booking discounts on my currently 3 other booked cruises!!! All right!!!

I know I've got it before but don't recall the details. 

2 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

I didn't rebook.  I had a lower price than current booking prices and got the onboard savings applied to my original booking which was booked with ta months before. 

Same with us. So even if the current price was higher it doesn't matter, the discount is still applied to the original reservation. 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I believe the key is if your category you are booked in on the future cruise is still available they will give you the advertised discount

YMMV

I think this is exactly the case. Otherwise people could just cancel and rebook.

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Same with us. So even if the current price was higher it doesn't matter, the discount is still applied to the original reservation. 

I think this is exactly the case. Otherwise people could just cancel and rebook.

Yes if it is not cancelled/rebooked (which is what usually is required if that original booking eas done more than a month prior to the current cruise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes if it is not cancelled/rebooked (which is what usually is required if that original booking eas done more than a month prior to the current cruise.

They seem to have relaxed the rules because both of my bookings were done well over a month ago.

One was done last March and the other one was booked in May 2021

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just realized that I didn't update this topic, so here we go:

I got the updated reservations from my TA, and the discounts have been applied to both reservations. As a reminder, those reservations have been done few months before our December sailing, and they applied the onboard discounts to the existing reservations. The prices now are higher than the original reservations, but I'm not sure if they were higher in December already.

Good job Oceania! Booking two more cruises now.