Cunard QM2 10th-14th Jan 2022 - advice/thoughts

johnnylikely

Rather then inventing loads of possibilities, why not just wait for the definitive announcement from Cunard.

I'm quite sure they know best about what they want to do with THEIR ships.

Wild speculation doesn't help anyone.

Keep calm and carry on!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Rather then inventing loads of possibilities, why not just wait for the definitive announcement from Cunard.

I'm quite sure they know best about what they want to do with THEIR ships.

Wild speculation doesn't help anyone.

Keep calm and carry on!

Whilst wild speculation doesn't help, it would be nice if Cunard could come out with some sort of statement, even if it is only to say that we need to wait another week for them to decide what is happening with our upcoming cruise.  They could also do with stopping the automated emails - i got another 'Important information for your upcoming voyage' email both yesterday and today, telling me the same things about preparing for my voyage.  Both times i assumed it was going to be an email with some new information in it.

• Thanks 1

Speculation does not always help, but sometimes you can get more information. 

I have previously found out from this forum that a cruise of mine had been cancelled, as Cunard had not got round to emailing me yet. The cruise was less than 3 months away from sailing, still enough time to plan for another and to sort everything out. 

I personally have to purchase parking and the PCR tests, but have not got round to it as I do not believe the cruise is going ahead but I am waiting to get more information. 

This cruise is only going to Hamburg and is only 4 days, now we have not been able to travel into Germany since middle of December, I would assume there has been discussions regarding this and we should have at least received some sort of communication to say they are reviewing the options. This cruise is now less than 2 weeks away and we are no closer to knowing if this cruise is going ahead or not. It’s unsurprisingly that people are getting frustrating. 

I have travelled only on Cunard for the last 13 years, this is the longest I have not been able to be on one of the ships, I trust Cunard, I just would appreciate slightly more communication from them regarding this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Se1lad said:

Whilst wild speculation doesn't help, it would be nice if Cunard could come out with some sort of statement, even if it is only to say that we need to wait another week for them to decide what is happening with our upcoming cruise.....

But then the complaint would be, why do we have to wait another week.....😉

18 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Exactly. Agents will be told to tell you it’s “going ahead as planned” until they’re told to tell you it isn’t. There’s no middle ground.

EDIT: on the other thread it’s being reported that the 2-nighter TO Hamburg is now off sale but the 2-nighter FROM Hamburg and the 4-night round trip are still available.

Suggesting, perhaps, that the plan is to operate a 4-day voyage to nowhere, picking up passengers in Hamburg but not dropping off.

Time will tell if that comes to pass.

They will be told to only tell us what they have got from Cunard, if there is no news then they will have mostly nothing to add. However sometimes it is worth ringing and checking. 

Edited by aday10

On 12/28/2021 at 10:06 PM, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

we're due to board QM2 in the new year for Hamburg. With the current ban on visitors to Germany i would have thought Cunard would have made an announcement on their plan.

Actually there is no general ban on visitors to Germany in place. 

Only visitors coming from certain "areas of variants of concern" are forbidden to enter.

Unvaccinated guests from "high risk areas" have to go into quarantine.

16 hours ago, aday10 said:

This cruise is only going to Hamburg and is only 4 days, now we have not been able to travel into Germany since middle of December, I would assume there has been discussions regarding this and we should have at least received some sort of communication to say they are reviewing the options. This cruise is now less than 2 weeks away and we are no closer to knowing if this cruise is going ahead or not. 

Rules and regulations constantly change. You, me and everybody has to live with this. Cunard has to live with this and react often on very short notice.

Currently this means good news: As of today the responsible authority in Germany says that the UK will be downgraded on 4th January to an high risk area. This implies, that vaccinated guests from the UK, eg arriving by the QM2, will be allowed in.

Caveat: Of course the situation might change again. Tonight, tomorrow or in 12 days. Cunard and we all will have to live with.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johnnylikely said:

Are people buying their PCR Day 2 tests for this cruise or waiting to see if it's going ahead lol

I don't know what to do! x

I am waiting, I think by Monday I am going to have to purchase it though, I really wish Cunard could let us know their thoughts on this cruise 

12 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Hopefully good news for those on this cruise, one less obstacle .....

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-12-30/germany-to-lift-uk-travel-ban

Thank you Host Hattie, some positive news for this cruise! 

on another note, it seems that some people have cancelled and club to queens grills staterooms are now available, whereas up until yesterday I believe they were sold out. 

2 hours ago, aday10 said:

on another note, it seems that some people have cancelled and club to queens grills staterooms are now available, whereas up until yesterday I believe they were sold out. 

Free upgrades for us! Lol.

Oooh so it's hopeful that this cruise might go ahead?!

3 hours ago, aday10 said:

As you say there now appears to be availability in PG and QG for the 4 night cruise.  I will happily take an upgrade from QG Q6 if they offer one! 🙂

3 hours ago, Se1lad said:

As you say there now appears to be availability in PG and QG for the 4 night cruise.  I will happily take an upgrade from QG Q6 if they offer one! 🙂

We are sailing in Q5 and will happily take an upgrade from that 😂 not sure if that will happen though! 

ive never sailed in Queen grade so have to say I am very excited if this does in fact go ahead! 

25 minutes ago, P2l said:

I somehow doubt we'll be upgraded to a Grill on our first ever cruise. I'll settle for the ship being half empty and my glass half full.

Actually, it is probably more likely on your first cruise. Then they've got you and your bank balance is forever doomed. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Actually, it is probably more likely on your first cruise. Then they've got you and your bank balance is forever doomed. 😀

In this uncertain world, the risk of future angst over stateroom grade is one risk I am willing to take 😉

I’m not sure about anyone else but for the last month I have not been able to view shore excursions on my voyage when I log in. They are now available to book again, which is possible good news! 

let’s hope the QM2 is able to arrive back in southampton on time and we can all get aboard! 

15 hours ago, aday10 said:

I’m not sure about anyone else but for the last month I have not been able to view shore excursions on my voyage when I log in. They are now available to book again, which is possible good news! 

l

i had a look just now and can still see no excursions for Hamburg - just says they are working on excursions

Odd - I can see the excursions (via My Cunard site) and have the option of adding them to the basket. Don't think I will book any though - assuming we do go ashore, I am thinking about a trip to the Maritime Museum and possibly a wander through the botanic gardens (subject to the twin vagaries of weather and them actually being open).

On 1/1/2022 at 9:34 AM, aday10 said:

let’s hope the QM2 is able to arrive back in southampton on time and we can all get aboard! 

I would say you will embark later in the day on 10 Jan, surely they will do a super deep clean on arrival in Southampton.

5 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

Is the ship due back to the UK on 10th? Gosh.. cutting it fine... eek

QM2 was due back on the 10th on the original itinerary too.  Cunard had already factored increased cleaning into their new protocols, so I wouldn’t see this as causing too much (if any) delay.  They use room fogging which allows them to rapidly clean each room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

The ship doesn't have to be stationary to be cleaned,

An awful lot of cleaning happens overnight, everynight. Not to mention high traffic surfaces getting regular cleaning throughout the day.

Biggest area to get deeper clean on turnaround day is cabins that have been used right up to Southampton and are in use straight away again.