Oceania Would Not Allow Move Over - Resolved

jean163

42 minutes ago, jean163 said:

We were on the Insignia Dec. 21 but have now cancelled (and lost our full fare).  They would NOT do a move over to a cruise next year. 

Pretty close to sailing to ask for a move over

Doubt if you could re coup anything from insurance either  since you changed your mind 

56 minutes ago, jean163 said:

We were on the Insignia Dec. 21 but have now cancelled (and lost our full fare).  They would NOT do a move over to a cruise next year. 

This is definitely in their regularly defined Terms & Conditions. Is there some type of circumstances they should make an exception for you? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jean163 said:

We were disappointed a month ago when the Caymans were removed from the itinerary.  A few days later El Salvador and Nicaragua were deleted.  Next they dropped Cabo and at 6pm, an hour after their offices closed for the weekend, they announced that San Diego was eliminated and that we'd be arriving in LA a day earlier but pretty much confined to the ship.

We asked to reschedule after the first itinerary change.  No go.  Each subsequent change we begged, pleaded and even got angry in asking for either a refund or to reschedule (even willing to pay extra to upgrade) but they wouldn't budge.  This despite their website showing people willing to waitlist ofr this cruise.

We ended up totally cancelling and forfeiting over $10,000.  Two years ago we were so excited to have the opportunity to add 5 new countries to our travel experiences.  I wasn't thrilled about 4 days at sea back then, but doing the Panama Canal was a bucket list item.  Now this cruise spends 10 of 15 days at sea.  A total waste of my time. 

Thankfully I can now get a refund for my prepaid airport parking and hotel accommodations for the night before.  Monday I will be returning the sports jacket and dress pants I apparently needed to dine on this "luxury" cruise line that treats their customers like peasants.  I'll be sure to spread the good word about Oceania and their customer relations to all who will listen.

1 hour ago, Schnitzelboy said:

We were disappointed a month ago when the Caymans were removed from the itinerary.  A few days later El Salvador and Nicaragua were deleted.  Next they dropped Cabo and at 6pm, an hour after their offices closed for the weekend, they announced that San Diego was eliminated and that we'd be arriving in LA a day earlier but pretty much confined to the ship.

We asked to reschedule after the first itinerary change.  No go.  Each subsequent change we begged, pleaded and even got angry in asking for either a refund or to reschedule (even willing to pay extra to upgrade) but they wouldn't budge.  This despite their website showing people willing to waitlist ofr this cruise.

We ended up totally cancelling and forfeiting over $10,000.  Two years ago we were so excited to have the opportunity to add 5 new countries to our travel experiences.  I wasn't thrilled about 4 days at sea back then, but doing the Panama Canal was a bucket list item.  Now this cruise spends 10 of 15 days at sea.  A total waste of my time. 

Thankfully I can now get a refund for my prepaid airport parking and hotel accommodations for the night before.  Monday I will be returning the sports jacket and dress pants I apparently needed to dine on this "luxury" cruise line that treats their customers like peasants.  I'll be sure to spread the good word about Oceania and their customer relations to all who will listen.

Just for the record, not that you need this information now, no jacket is required at any time, anywhere on Oceania. It's all a personal choice. Sorry things didn't work out for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schnitzelboy said:

Check with your travel insurance since you probably will be able to make a claim for missed ports, etc. and receive some of your "lost" money back.

Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting to hear that jackets AREN'T required because elsewhere I read that not dressing for dinner is frowned upon.  "Country Club Casual" is not familiar to me.  I planned to wear dress slacks and a jacket, collared shirt and no tie.  Still not my normal mode of attire.

Unfortunately we did not buy insurance.  Sounds like a stupid error now but at the time we were already spending way above our comfort zone just for the cruise itself.  In 50 years of international travel, mostly throughout Europe, we have never needed insurance even when pass riding as airline employees.  Just seemed like throwing away money that might have been used on the next trip.  We were totally unaware that cruise lines can alter an itinerary this much and not offer some sort of compensation.  Yeah, I know, "read the small print in the contract".  Funny how I've purchased a couple of homes, dozens of cars and taken out loans and never had a contract come back to bite me in the buttocks like this.  I guess we were spoiled by so many positive experiences on Viking, Gate 1, Carnival and even NCL.  Live and learn.

19 minutes ago, Schnitzelboy said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting to hear that jackets AREN'T required because elsewhere I read that not dressing for dinner is frowned upon.  "Country Club Casual" is not familiar to me.  I planned to wear dress slacks and a jacket, collared shirt and no tie.  Still not my normal mode of attire.

Unfortunately we did not buy insurance.  Sounds like a stupid error now but at the time we were already spending way above our comfort zone just for the cruise itself.  In 50 years of international travel, mostly throughout Europe, we have never needed insurance even when pass riding as airline employees.  Just seemed like throwing away money that might have been used on the next trip.  We were totally unaware that cruise lines can alter an itinerary this much and not offer some sort of compensation.  Yeah, I know, "read the small print in the contract".  Funny how I've purchased a couple of homes, dozens of cars and taken out loans and never had a contract come back to bite me in the buttocks like this.  I guess we were spoiled by so many positive experiences on Viking, Gate 1, Carnival and even NCL.  Live and learn.

If you cancelled because the itinerary changed, it's unlikely insurance would have covered it, even the missed ports, unless you had chose the  more expensive "Cancel for Any Reason" policy.  Even then you would only get back a percentage of the fare.

Edited by 1985rz1

35 minutes ago, Schnitzelboy said:

Jackets are never REQUIRED

some people here like to add their own dress code rules to the conversations

DH has  never taken a jacket  in the past 10 yrs on O

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Schnitzelboy said:

Interesting to hear that jackets AREN'T required because elsewhere I read that not dressing for dinner is frowned upon.

Not sure where you read that but it sounds like someone gave their opinion, which Lyn referred to above. We all know what the say about opinions. All that matters is what Oceania's policy is, not other cruiser's preference. Having said that I wear a jacket to La Reserve and sometimes a Specialty restaurant or if we're invited to a special dinner.

Sorry that your cruise went south. Just another reason some of us are waiting a while before cruising. Not that we're hunkering down or afraid, or can't jump through the hoops, just that we don't want to, or have what happened to you happen. Unfortunately it's looking like even this spring and summer wasn't long enough to wait. Good Grief. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schnitzelboy said:

Yes, we are in the same boat (or rather not in it!).  Most insurance polcies likely wouldn't have helped as there are so many exclusions now.  We thought we might be able to get a bit back from our travel credit card policy as they do cover cancellations due to a travel advisory (which was put in place here on the 15th) but then they also have an exclusion that it can't be attributed to an epidemic or pandemic!  So you can't win.  We've been sailing with O for 14 years and are very disappointed in their intransigence.  I think you would have loved it and, no you don't need a jacket!  We maybe would have met you at Team Trivia...

• Like 1

Have you gotten any response from Oceania?  We're not expecting a refund but we'll be at least asking for a partial travel credit.  After all, THEY eliminated one day of the trip and two stops because THEY want to install a "shore-power hook up for the vessel" in LA.  Why didn't they do it while the ship was sitting in Miami for the last week?  I didn't see anything in the contract whereby they can end the cruise at their discretion.  

17 minutes ago, Schnitzelboy said:

Have you gotten any response from Oceania?  We're not expecting a refund but we'll be at least asking for a partial travel credit.  After all, THEY eliminated one day of the trip and two stops because THEY want to install a "shore-power hook up for the vessel" in LA.  Why didn't they do it while the ship was sitting in Miami for the last week?  I didn't see anything in the contract whereby they can end the cruise at their discretion.  

Did you read the T & C's  under GUEST TICKET CONTRACT

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/ticket-contract/

See #4

On 12/19/2021 at 7:42 AM, Schnitzelboy said:

While I understand your disappointment at the cancelled ports and other changes, I do not understand why you would forfeit $10,000 instead of having a nice vacation onboard the ship.  Yes, it is not the cruise you planned, but it still would have been a wonderful vacation.  The food is great, being pampered is great, and just being on Oceania is great.  I love sea days and once had eight in a row crossing the Atlantic due to hurricane Florence.  We lost two port days, but the seas days were terrific. I would rather have a cruise with 10 sea days than lose $10,000.

Edited by Twiga
  • Like 9

23 hours ago, Twiga said:

While I understand your disappointment at the cancelled ports and other changes, I do not understand why you would forfeit $10,000 instead of having a nice vacation onboard the ship.  Yes, it is not the cruise you planned, but it still would have been a wonderful vacation.  The food is great, being pampered is great, and just being on Oceania is great.  I love sea days and once had eight in a row crossing the Atlantic due to hurricane Florence.  We lost two port days, but the seas days were terrific. I would rather have a cruise with 10 sea days than lose $10,000.

Easily answered - I'm not spending my Holidays and both of our birthdays as prisoners at sea.  I don't give a rat's behind about stuffing myself with gourmet food or getting blindly drunk.  I'm a traveler.  I want to experience the World.  10 days out of 15 sitting in the middle of the ocean on a ship sounds hellish to us.  Cruising has never been our thing but after having a couple of positive experiences with Viking and NCL, we went out of our comfort zone in booking this.  Plus this was supposed to be a deal that was "too good to be true".  At least we got a full refund for 16 days of parking and for hotels at the beginning and ending of the trip.

Further proof that this was just not meant to be - last night American Airlines notified us that our flight was going to be delayed 9 hours.  We would've missed the boat arriving in Miami a half hour after the Insignia's departure.  

3 hours ago, Schnitzelboy said:

Easily answered - I'm not spending my Holidays and both of our birthdays as prisoners at sea.  I don't give a rat's behind about stuffing myself with gourmet food or getting blindly drunk.  I'm a traveler.  I want to experience the World.  10 days out of 15 sitting in the middle of the ocean on a ship sounds hellish to us.  Cruising has never been our thing but after having a couple of positive experiences with Viking and NCL, we went out of our comfort zone in booking this.  Plus this was supposed to be a deal that was "too good to be true".  At least we got a full refund for 16 days of parking and for hotels at the beginning and ending of the trip.

Further proof that this was just not meant to be - last night American Airlines notified us that our flight was going to be delayed 9 hours.  We would've missed the boat arriving in Miami a half hour after the Insignia's departure.  

@Schitzleboy is undoubtedly independently wealthy. Thus losing 10k is no biggie.  Or an expert sewer and adept at making a silk purse our of a sow's ear.  Or a masterful practitioner of the the art of the spin.

Me thinks there is a lot of spin and a bit of revisionist justification and history going on here.

And not to be overlooked the classic rookie mistake of flying in the day of the cruise, leaving zero error room for any flight disruption or delay.

But we all have our ways and means.

Edited by Homerody
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 11:31 AM, ORV said:

This is definitely in their regularly defined Terms & Conditions. Is there some type of circumstances they should make an exception for you? 

Glad to report that Oceania is now giving us a FCC for our full fare.  The existing (out-of-date) T&C are overridden by their SailSafe provisions and any new developments.  We cancelled due to our country's Dec. 15th travel advisory which was sufficient reason for them.  We would not have cancelled due to a change in itinerary as we have been on O enough times to know we would be happy on-board even without all the original ports.  Thank you to O for reacting so well to changing circumstances. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Oceania Would Not Allow Move Over - Resolved
On 12/22/2021 at 10:37 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Glad to learn you got a good resolution.  Split this OT thread off.

Good for O    Nice to see them do the right thing.  Kinda thought they would. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 9:53 PM, jean163 said:

Glad to report that Oceania is now giving us a FCC for our full fare.  The existing (out-of-date) T&C are overridden by their SailSafe provisions and any new developments.  We cancelled due to our country's Dec. 15th travel advisory which was sufficient reason for them.  We would not have cancelled due to a change in itinerary as we have been on O enough times to know we would be happy on-board even without all the original ports.  Thank you to O for reacting so well to changing circumstances. 

Hi Jean and congrats.

We are potentially in a similar situation. Could you please give some detail as to how you successfully resolved your situation? Directly through Oceania or through your cruise agent? Did Oceania specifically mention SailSafe provisions? Did they say what were the new developments? Any other pointers that would be helpful in resolving?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Mark

On 12/26/2021 at 12:18 PM, ohmark said:

Hi Jean and congrats.

We are potentially in a similar situation. Could you please give some detail as to how you successfully resolved your situation? Directly through Oceania or through your cruise agent? Did Oceania specifically mention SailSafe provisions? Did they say what were the new developments? Any other pointers that would be helpful in resolving?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Mark

3 hours ago, golfnut64 said:

I would be interested also to find out how yiu resolved the situation.

On 12/22/2021 at 8:53 PM, jean163 said:

doesn’t this answer your question?

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Actually, it does not.

Indeed, you quoted the exact same text that I quoted, when I asked the above questions. I'm still hoping the OP replies to my questions, which I'm sure would be of interest to many here.

Thanks for your interest.

Mark

Edited by ohmark