Life and Live from Koningsdam on her New Year's cruise 26 Dec 21 - 02 Jan 22

Copper10-8

Day 2 - Monday 27 DEC 21

Had a great night of sleep and woke up about 0700 on our way southbound in the Mar Pacifico which gave us a really smooth ride overnight. Upon awakening, the seas were still pretty smooth under overcast skies. Temps were in the high sixties. We are basically paralleling the west coast of Mexico’s Baja California in a southbound direction towards the very tip of adjoining Baja California Sur.

Baja California, “lower California” in English: Lower California, officially the Free and Sovereign State of Baja California / Estado Libre y Soberano de Baja California, is a Mexican state. It is the northernmost and westernmost of the 32 Federal Entities of Mexico. Before becoming a state in 1952, the area was known as the North Territory of Baja California / El Territorio Norte de Baja California. It has an area of 27,071 square miles and comprises the northern half of the Baja California Peninsula, north of the 28th parallel, plus oceanic Guadalupe Island. The mainland portion of the state is bordered on the west by the Pacific Ocean, on the east by Sonora, the U.S. State of Arizona and the Gulf of California (also known as the "Sea of Cortez"), and on the south by Baja California Sur. Its northern limit is the U.S. state of California.

One of the perks of a Neptune Suite is the ability to have breakfast, usually in the Pinnacle Grill Restaurant, but here on Willem Alexander and Maxima’s ship (he’s the Dutch King but she’s K-dam’s Godmother) so that’s exactly what we did at 0916 hrs. They were a bit busy inside but after a short wait, Kasama got us a “window” seat. Maria had one of the skillets and I had the eggs benedict minus sauce.

After petit-dejeuner, we visited Patrick in the Neptune Lounge who was able to get us dinner reservations in the Tamarind for Thursday evening and in Canaletto for Sat evening. Upon embarking yesterday, we received a surprise phone call from Salem, who is the hotel executive assistant, who offered us a complimentary dinner inside the Pinnacle Grill courtesy of Hotel General Manager Santosh. We selected Tue night for that one with our thanks to the hotel GM and his asst.

Next up at 1100 hrs. was a little get together with K-dam’s staff captain Sabine and her first officer Mark, both former shipmates of mine from Maasdam (Mark) and Noordam (Sabine) when they were both in lower ranks. We met on Lido Deck aft by the Seaview pool and spent about 30 minutes or so catching up. Sabine hails from Germany and Mark from neighboring Holland/the Netherlands. Really good to see both and talk some shop about their lives, the goings on with the company and, of course, the effect Covid has had on day-to-day operations. Great people, both of them! During our conversation, Holland America’s Westerdam passed us on our starboard side, headed north to Los Angeles/San Pedro, without pax – she is not yet back in service.

We had lunch outside the Dive-In (we both had the “back flip” chicken sandwich) and spent the rest of the PM jelling in our room watching a movie. Oh yeah, we used one of those automatic handwashers in the Lido after lunch. Btw, as can be expected on a holiday cruise, lots of kiddies in the mid-ships pool and hot tubs. Someone asked, masks are not required in the pool area unless the crowds get too big making close in contact unavoidable.

More to follow!

May be an image of text that says 'Monday'

May be an image of text that says 'CLUBORANGE CLUBO HOLLAND AMERICA LINE'

May be an image of 6 people and indoor

May be an image of 2 people, table and indoor

May be an image of dessert and indoor

May be an image of food and indoor

May be an image of food

May be an image of 3 people and indoor

May be an image of text that says 'MASK REQUIRED'

No photo description available.

May be an image of ocean and nature

May be an image of 6 people and indoor

May be an image of 3 people, pool and indoor

May be an image of french fries and indoor

May be an image of 2 people, indoor and text that says 'G GEL GELATO'

May be an image of 7 people

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Thanks again for your reports. I'm sending copies of them to our shipmates who will join us on the next cruise Jan 2. Originally, there were eight in our cruise group, but four dropped out yesterday because of the Covid outbreak on the last cruise. Your posts are most encouraging so far, proving that the ship is taking this most seriously, and yet providing you with great service. 

BTW, your posts are well written, informative and entertaining. That's coming from a travel magazine publisher, editor and feature writer. You can find our magazines and stories at https://winedineandtravel.com/ .

Best,

Ron and Mary James

Edited by sandiegoscribe
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Oh yeah, we used one of those automatic handwashers in the Lido after lunch

Copper, were there also regular hand sanitizer dispensers at the Lido entrance?  They did not have them when I was on KDAM and my sense was that a lot of people just bypassed the machines and just moseyed into the Lido with dirty hands.  I really think the machines are much better but only if they are actually used.

Roy

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Copper, were there also regular hand sanitizer dispensers at the Lido entrance?  They did not have them when I was on KDAM and my sense was that a lot of people just bypassed the machines and just moseyed into the Lido with dirty hands.  I really think the machines are much better but only if they are actually used.

Roy

Hi Roy!

I was on Koningsdam December 5 thru 12 and the sanitizer stations were there. They were just passed the hand washing stations. On day one there was someone standing there reminding everyone to wash. By day two everyone was on their own and most bypassed both the hand wash station and the sanitizers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Copper - following you reports and have a question.  You mentioned the "48 hour" pre-embark Covid test requirement - isn't it actually "2 day" pre-embark?  From what I am reading on the HAL site it is "2 days".  We are flying out the morning on a Monday and boarding on Wednesday to FLL and were planning on doing the HAL recommended monitored self test before heading to the airport which would be the 2 days prior but more like 54 hours before boarding.

Looking forward to following your reporting.

When we were on the Koningsdam in late October it was 2 days (not necessarily 48 hours).  The health personnel at the pier checked the date not the time.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Howdy XBGuy; we didn't stay in a hotel, we drove down from L.A, so can't answer your questions, sorry

Yeah, my apologies, C10-8,  Dumb rookie mistake.  I should have directed that to @Brentt_M.  Proving that he is smartier than I am, he did, in fact, respond.  Happily, I belong to the Marriott Frequent Sleepers Club.  So, if I ever take the opportunity to check into the Downtown San Diego Springfield Suites, I may be able to do it on points.  😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Buenos Dias de Cabo San Lucas, Roy! Yes, there are Purell dispensers inside all four entrances to the Lido Market (port and starboard sides, forward and aft) plus they are also located in the Deck 9 elevator lobbies leading to the Lido took some pics for you, see attached) Yesterday, we saw / heard one of the Lido supervisors reminding pax to use them while she was standing in one of those elevator lobbies.

But look, we are dealing, or are supposed to deal, with adults here for the most part, or so it seems. If those adults ignore the multitude of warnings / reminders they have received / will continue to receive, to wash their hands frequently, what is a mother to do? If it was up to me, the first time they would ignore that "reminder," give them one warning, if they ignore / refuse again, kick their butts off the ship in the next port, but that's just me and I don't count! It reminds me of "gentlemen" that use the facilities in the public heads only to exit without washing their paws...........

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, farjar said:

When we were on the Koningsdam in late October it was 2 days (not necessarily 48 hours).  The health personnel at the pier checked the date not the time.

Sorry, in my book, 2 days and 48 hrs. are one and the same but then again, I'm not the brightest pencil in the box, and no, the shoreside staffer in SD did not appear to look at the time on the test results, just at the date

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

But look, we are dealing, or are supposed to deal, with adults here for the most part, or so it seems. If those adults ignore the multitude of warnings / reminders they have received / will continue to receive, to wash their hands frequently, what is a mother to do? If it was up to me, the first time they would ignore that "reminder," give them one warning, if they ignore / refuse again, kick their butts off the ship in the next port, but that's just me and I don't count! It reminds me of "gentlemen" that use the facilities in the public heads only to exit without washing their paws...........

2 hours ago, Andi Land said:

Hi Roy!

I was on Koningsdam December 5 thru 12 and the sanitizer stations were there. They were just passed the hand washing stations. On day one there was someone standing there reminding everyone to wash. By day two everyone was on their own and most bypassed both the hand wash station and the sanitizers. 

I don't think I'd put them off but understand.  Perhaps we should have a group of "Typhoid Mary" cabins where people could be confined for a couple of days with just room service and a guarded entrance.

One thing I liked about Royal Caribbean was that even on the morning of disembarkation they had staff at the Lido entrances pestering people with the hand sanitizer.

Roy

Roy

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Buenos Dias de Cabo San Lucas, Roy! Yes, there are Purell dispensers inside all four entrances to the Lido Market (port and starboard sides, forward and aft) plus they are also located in the Deck 9 elevator lobbies leading to the Lido took some pics for you, see attached) Yesterday, we saw / heard one of the Lido supervisors reminding pax to use them while she was standing in one of those elevator lobbies.

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

I think we were separated at birth.  That’s my suggestion too 😛.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Five minutes later and Mandy, the Dutch (by her accent), entertainment director (same young lady who told pax dancing on Day 1 in the BB Kings Lounge to put their masks on 👍), just called "open tendering" so we are gonna go ashore and find ourselves a place for a bite of lunch in Cabo. Hasta Luego! 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Day 2 Monday 27 Dec 21 (con't)

So, today / tonight was the first of two Gala nights on the big K-dam. In recent years, we have downsized from going “all out” and renting a tux (moi, not the child bride although she would no doubt look good in one, unlike me) to a suit, to a jacket and tie, to a long sleeve shirt and slacks. Tonight I decided to wear a dark suit once again and Maria had a nice top with slacks. To my surprise, the vast majority of folks we ran into on our way to Club Orange for dinner, had taken the effort to look nice. We actually saw several gents in tuxes. Later on, we did see some guys in shorts and T-shirts out and about but, hey, to each their own.

Dinner in Club Orange with Tizar and Kasama and their guys was once again good although service was a bit slower perhaps because, at least initially, there were only three stewards serving so that had to place some extra pressure on them. While were wear grazing, a “two-striper” arrived who we overheard tell Tizar that he would send him an extra steward from Canaletto. As far as the menu, Maria had the sole and I had the filet mignon with a heap of crab meat covering same. Both were good. We each had a glass of Moscato and, yes, desert afterwards.

The main entertainment tonite at 9:30 PM, besides the three music venues which were hopping as usual, was the first performance by the Step One Dance Company (six very talented dancers, three female/three male) in “Humanity” (there had been an earlier 7:30 show preceded by Capt. Henk giving a toast). We have seen this show several times now and it remains one of our favorites. Great music/Great Dancing and Great special effects projected on the walls of the World Stage by her tech staff using the large room to its advantage. We enjoyed it once again and so, it appears from the standing ovation the cast received from the majority of the audience, did they. It's a show with lost of energy!

At around 10:30 we found two seats up front inside the BB Kings Blues Club and listened to the All Stars. The two vocalists are very good, and so are the four musicians. They sang/played some all-time favorites and had the dance floor filled and yes, everyone on that floor, was wearing a mask! No mask police required tonight!

We called it a night around 11:30 PM since we had a time change / one hour fwd happening. Manana is our first port, that being the tender port of Cabo San Luca, Baja California Sure, Mexico. See ya then!

May be an image of twilight, cloud, nature and ocean

May be an image of ocean

May be an image of ocean

May be an image of text that says 'DR GALA Dinner'

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

May be an image of 1 person

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and indoor

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and indoor

May be an image of 4 people and indoor

May be an image of 5 people, people standing and indoor

May be an image of 1 person, standing and indoor

May be an image of 12 people, people standing and indoor

May be an image of 1 person, standing and indoor

May be an image of 1 person, playing a musical instrument and saxophone

May be an image of indoor

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, dmcfad2 said:

I am waiting to see if they let you off in Cabo. Keeping my fingers crossed. Carnival Panorama was denied disembarkation in PV yesterday and Mazatlan today. ☹️

He said they were already letting people off the ship, per post 139.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Five minutes later and Mandy, the Dutch (by her accent), entertainment director (same young lady who told pax dancing on Day 1 in the BB Kings Lounge to put their masks on 👍), just called "open tendering" so we are gonna go ashore and find ourselves a place for a bite of lunch in Cabo. Hasta Luego! 

Thanks for the photos and info.  We spent 45 days on KDAM a few years back (FLL to Amsterdam).  We are booked for April crossing from FLL to Barcelona on Nieue Statendam.  Looking forward to dinner in Tamarind, and music.

Here in Denver, the TV stations are running KDAM problem at Porta Vallarta on a loop with a womän who feels she's in a "petrie dish."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kruising Kathy said:

Thanks for the photos and info.  We spent 45 days on KDAM a few years back (FLL to Amsterdam).  We are booked for April crossing from FLL to Barcelona on Nieue Statendam.  Looking forward to dinner in Tamarind, and music.

Here in Denver, the TV stations are running KDAM problem at Porta Vallarta on a loop with a womän who feels she's in a "petrie dish."

I wonder how long it took the press to find that brain surgeon.  I would say I’m overly careful and I never felt that way on the koningsdam in November.  I realize it’s different now before someone feels the need to point that out to me.

• Like 1