Life and Live from Koningsdam on her New Year's cruise 26 Dec 21 - 02 Jan 22

Copper10-8

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Update on the above! The good news is the patient is doing mucho better so, as we were waiting alongside, the med. disembark was cancelled, as was the ambulance (allowing the Bomberos de Mazatlan to stay in their comfy recliners watching their fav soap opera 😉 Sorry, couldn't resist / cops vs firemen rivalry popped up) 

So, all in all, that would be a positive ending and we're on our way to PV  🙂 

The best news for all HAL guests.....the Captain and HAL will do whatever is necessary to ensure the health and safety of their guests .... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Update on the above! The good news is the patient is doing mucho better so, as we were waiting alongside, the med. disembark was cancelled, as was the ambulance (allowing the Bomberos de Mazatlan to stay in their comfy recliners watching their fav soap opera 😉 Sorry, couldn't resist / cops vs firemen rivalry popped up) 

Edited by Radbooks
Duplicate
  • Like 1

Oh, that's wonderful to hear. Thanks for the update. We were on our balcony and couldn't hear what the loudspeakers were saying. 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edited by Radbooks
Duplicate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, teaberrry said:

This post has been extremely helpful. I'm booked on the January 16th cruise on Koningsdam and have been debating whether to keep the booking or not. This play-by-play is helping me feel more confident about going and I can't wait to experience all the familiarity of a HAL cruise. It will be my first time on the Koningsdam and your pictures are great.

Have you checked out this post ? Related to this cruise on Koningsdam.

• Like 3

Oh, that's wonderful to hear. Thanks for the update. We were on our balcony and couldn't hear what the loudspeakers were saying. 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you really need to check out post #205.  Two of your fellow passengers are in quarantine. Their writing of their experience is very informative and also entertaining.  Great sense of humor, although of course the subject is not at all funny. 

• Like 5

Hello Copper, it is a pleasure to read your posts; am enjoying being along for the ride. Like others, I was glued to my computer in early 2020, reading of how you helped out those two elderly world cruisers who were connecting through LAX. You should a very special kindness to them. Quite inspiring! 

Regarding your current status, are you still employed (part time or full time) as a security officer with HAL? Despite being 4 star, I don't think my wife and I ever had the pleasure to meet you...or are you now retired from this job, too, and just "enjoying life"? 

One specific question re your Pinnacle dinner: was the Caesar salad made table-side, or is it done in the kitchen and brought out? Used to be table-side, which is a lost art in most restos these days. Were anchovies still available?  

Hope you have a great ongoing cruise!  Thanks,

On Cruiser

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ON cruiser said:

Hello Copper, it is a pleasure to read your posts; am enjoying being along for the ride. Like others, I was glued to my computer in early 2020, reading of how you helped out those two elderly world cruisers who were connecting through LAX. You should a very special kindness to them. Quite inspiring! 

Regarding your current status, are you still employed (part time or full time) as a security officer with HAL? Despite being 4 star, I don't think my wife and I ever had the pleasure to meet you...or are you now retired from this job, too, and just "enjoying life"? 

One specific question re your Pinnacle dinner: was the Caesar salad made table-side, or is it done in the kitchen and brought out? Used to be table-side, which is a lost art in most restos these days. Were anchovies still available?  

Hope you have a great ongoing cruise!  Thanks,

On Cruiser

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

Both my wife and I are now 100% retired and, like you, passengers on HAL which is where we started back in April 1995 on Ryndam

Having worked for HAL for nearly eight years (2010-2018), one cannot avoid running into crew I have worked for, alongside with, and/or have worked for me during those years. Always a great experience to see them and catch up to tell war stories about our time together on the dam ships 😉

Oh, the Caesar in the PG; it is not table-made like it used to be a long time ago! Having said that, last night's Caesar was a definite improvement over the one I had in Nieuw A's PG back in August. That one was dry, this one was moist. Good stuff!  

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

As a retired Firefighter/Paramedic I worked on the Rescue transport unit which responded to medical emergencies at the Port of Miami for over 28 years . For us it was never Cops vs Firefighters but Nurses/Baby Sitters  (Paramedics) vs the Mattress Testers ( Firefighters) . I did both .

We will also be embarking on a New Years Eve cruise today on the Nieuw Amsterdam . I never do Live but rather a photo laden travelogue after we return . Happy New Year to you , your wife and all of the readers .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

The "cops vs firefighters" thing is just a friendly rivalry! For me, it started in the academy where the firefighter academy was located on the hill above ours in East L.A. Their class would come running by while singing jodies / yelling cadence about the cops, while we did the same thing to them as we would run by their place in a class formation.

Some of my best friends are firefighters, and you were always welcome in their stations for a cup of Java, while working Patrol. I do admire them for their ability to work out on duty, as well as watch good movies in their "lazy boy" recliners while waiting for "the bell" to go off and slide down that pole to their always shiny trucks! 😉 Great stuff!  We're all on the same team!🙂 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The "cops vs firefighters" thing is just a friendly rivalry! For me, it started in the academy where the firefighter academy was located on the hill above ours in East L.A. Their class would come running by while singing jodies / yelling cadence about the cops, while we did the same thing to them as we would run by their place in a class formation.

Some of my best friends are firefighters, and you were always welcome in their stations for a cup of Java, while working Patrol. I do admire them for their ability to work out on duty, as well as watch good movies in their "lazy boy" recliners while waiting for "the bell" to go off and slide down that pole to their always shiny trucks! 😉 Great stuff!  We're all on the same team!🙂 

Amen brother . Leaving now to Ft. Lauderdale 75 minutes away = we hope !

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up; at 0745 hrs., K-dam's pax were cleared to go ashore by the Puerto Vallarta local authorities so no issues today 🙂 

Say Hi to Vallarta!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Your 2nd home says Hi back to you, Ine 😉 Is Astrid working today? 

16408817764785252446469275467267.jpg

Yes she always is. However not that much with cruise passengers but with tourists doing transfers and tours. You unfortunately arrived about 3 weeks before we do. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ine said:

Yes she always is. However not that much with cruise passengers but with tourists doing transfers and tours. You unfortunately arrived about 3 weeks before we do. 

We'll be back in April on Zuiderdam 😉 We are planning to have lunch at Restaurante Pipi's, C. Guadalupe Sanchez 804, in Viejo Vallarta around 1:30 PM local today, if Astrid is available and wants to join us. My treat

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

We'll be back in April on Zuiderdam 😉 We are planning to have lunch at Restaurante Pipi's, C. Guadalupe Sanchez 804, in Viejo Vallarta around 1:30 PM local today, if Astrid is available and wants to join us. My treat

Thanks for inviting her, but she will be too busy.  Our plan is to be in Vallarta till April 13, so maybe we can meet then. Keep in touch. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ine said:

Thanks for inviting her, but she will be too busy.  Our plan is to be in Vallarta till April 13, so maybe we can meet then. Keep in touch. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

No probs, will do! Thanx and tot ziens!

• Like 2

Day 4 - Wednesday 29 DEC 21 – Mazatlan, Sinaloa

Woke up to clear blue skies and sunshine around 7:45 am as Koningsdam was already berthed at the Cruise Ship Dock facing west. We would be the only cruise ship in town today and behind us was part of the Armada de México Fuerza Naval del Pacífico / Mexican’s Navy’s Pacific fleet at their Zona Naval No. 4 base. Below us, K-dam's pax were streaming down the two gangways observed by a handler and K-9 from la Unidad Canina who was periodically sniffing out ladies purses and other bags for forbidden fruit as they were walking by him/her.

No matter how many times you’ve been here, Mazatlan’s harbor is by no means pretty and/or picturesque since it is principally a fishing, shrimping and commercial port. As a matter of fact, it is Mexico’s primary port for those activities on its Pacific coast. So, once docked, all you see is large warehouses, a whole bunch of shipping containers and a whole lot of concrete. The name “Mazatlan” comes from the Nahuati word meaning “place or home of deer” and refers to large herds of deer that migrated along the coast. Once the home of the ancient Totorame civilization, Mazatlan was later frequented by pirates who, according to legend, buried their treasures in the caves and coves near the city. Spanish settlers established Mazatlan in 1531 to export gold and silver from the Sierra Madre mines. The port did not really grow until the 18th century when a fishing industry was established. The city is divided into three distinct sections: Viejo Mazatlan (Old Mazatlan) which centers on a small square, Plaza Revolucion and its Basilica, an eclectic district of old Spanish-style buildings and colorful new condos. The second is the center of the Malecon (boardwalk) which curves along Bahia del Puerto Viejo and is a lazy stretch of city beach and Pacific recreation area. The third is the northern Zona Dorada (Golden Zone) where Mazatlan’s elegant hotels and condos are found. Dorado is also the tourist neighborhood.

We planned on taking it easy as we have been here several times, besides it’s a good time having the ship practically to yourself because the majority of the other passengers have gone off already. So we had a leisurely breakfast in the Lido since we once again woke up / got our caca together too late for the 9;00 am cutoff for Club Orange. At 0930 hrs, K-dam's crew had a General Emergency drill which included all of them, not on essential duties, to assemble at their assigned muster stations wearing their life vests. Essential drills, as we will see later today / practice make perfect, but I don't miss them, too much 😉

So around 1:30 pm, we went down to the gangway on A-Deck and picked up a complimentary shuttle (two open air carts with benches on top, pulled by a little airport-like baggage tug/tractor) that takes pax from the cruise ship(s) to the terminal building where a bunch of shops are set up both in and outside. Once off the shuttle, it’s kinda like walking a gauntlet with vendors, private tour guides and cab drivers trying to get you to go with them so that requires a lot of “No, gracias amigo!” and just keep on walking.

We wound up grabbing a couple of nice seats at the drinking hole of that central plaza of the terminal where we each had a frozen strawberry margarita and a plate of nachos con queso, while listening to a whole bunch of chart toppers from the sixties. While doing so, K-dam’s shore excursion director extraordinaire Nyron P. walked by and saw us. I worked with him on several contracts and it was great seeing him again. Just a really nice individual and one of the best shorex managers on the seven seas, great under pressure!

After that alcoholic beverage / northern Mexican regional snack of totopos covered with melted cheese that just “hit the right spot,” we moseyed around the plaza’s shops where the child bride spotted a couple of ceramic fish and “just had to have them” for her backyard display at home. They had to be facing each other for a kiss, of course! 😉 We then took one of the trams back to K-dam and spent the remainder of the afternoon watching a good 2016 World War II flick directed by Robert Zemeckis by the name of “Allied” with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard on the big screen in our cabin.

K-dam dropped her lines around 4:40 pm and started moving off the dock with, simultaneously the medical alert alarm (the old “Bright Star” alarm) sounding over the ship’s P/A system with the officer of the watch directing the first responders to a cabin on Deck 8 / Navigation Deck above us, never a good thing! Not knowing the outcome of that medical alert response, Capt. Henk continued slowly moving out the harbor and followed the 29-year old Ro-Ro ferry Baja Star (Mazatlan - La Paz - Mazatlan) to open sea until reaching a point of the last piece of quay prior to the Mazatlan outer breakwater where he slowed his big ship down, and then started reversing course with the stern leading the way (Mazatlan’s harbor is not big enough to execute a 180 at that point). Shortly after, CD Jeffrey came on the P/A advising his pax that we were going to have a medical disembarkation once safely alongside again.

K-dam did go alongside, not all the way back where we had been for most of the day, but in a position ahead of the two big gantry cranes. A couple of cars with line handlers showed up, as did the Mazatlan HAL port agent who, in these types of situations, is the link to get a shoreside response from the Bomberos (firefighters) de Mazatlan / medics and an ambulance to respond. K-dam’s “boatmen” (officially lifesaving attendants) once again hydraulically opened one of the big A-Deck shell doors and landed a ship’s gangway. There was frequent contact between a hotel officer (I’m thinking K-dam’s port paper officer – PPO) and the port agent and the wait was for that ambulance, the medics and the Bomberos who never showed up. We stayed alongside for a good 45 minutes, and then suddenly the lines and the gangway were taken in and we were off away from the harbor and out into the Pacific, this time for good and on our way to Puerto Vallarta. So, long story shorter, the medical disembark had been cancelled apparently because condition of the patient from Deck 8, in the capable hands of K-dam’s doctors and nurses inside the ship’s infirmary, had improved to such extent that a medical disembark was no longer deemed essential. Great news and an even greater job by K-dam’s first responder and medical staff who practice these types of responses on a regular bass! Bravo Zulu to all!!

More to follow of the remainder of Day 4

May be an image of text that says 'Wednesday'

May be an image of sky

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of nature

May be an image of 3 people, people standing and outdoors

May be an image of 4 people, people standing, dog and outdoors

May be an image of 8 people and outdoors

No photo description available.

May be an image of 1 person and standing

May be an image of nature

May be an image of 2 people and food