Quarantine Before Cruise?

NCLGirl2013

On 12/25/2021 at 5:57 PM, NCLGirl2013 said:

Are the majority of you guys doing a self quarantine before your cruise to lower the risk of a positive test at the port? Our cruise leaves 2 weeks from today and we started on Friday. We are still going to the gym because we need to lose a little more weight before then but we are wiping all the equipment down before use and social distancing on any of the machines. 

My question is if you did quarantine, how long did you do it for and were you super strict? 

You are not quarantining, you are just being super careful. Quarantine means in your house, no gym, no grocery shopping etc

We are not quarantining, but we will be more careful in the two weeks before our cruise, which, for us, means no unmasked indoor contact with people outside of our immediate  family.  We will still go to the store, teens will go to school, and we may see friends masked or outside, but no indoor restaurants. This seems like a reasonable balance of living our lives but trying not to get infected before our cruise. 

• Like 2

Are the majority of you guys doing a self quarantine before your cruise to lower the risk of a positive test at the port? Our cruise leaves 2 weeks from today and we started on Friday. We are still going to the gym because we need to lose a little more weight before then but we are wiping all the equipment down before use and social distancing on any of the machines. 

My question is if you did quarantine, how long did you do it for and were you super strict? 

We were on the Bliss on 12/12 - for about the week prior we were more strict on wearing masks, not going to crowded places.... basically being smart about what we were doing - the last thing we wanted after 2 years of no cruising was a positive test at the pier.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brad0576 said:

We were on the Bliss on 12/12 - for about the week prior we were more strict on wearing masks, not going to crowded places.... basically being smart about what we were doing - the last thing we wanted after 2 years of no cruising was a positive test at the pier.

We have a cruise coming up mid-January on MSC and between now and then we are going to be MUCH less active for the same reason. My workplace was going to make us all start going back into the office in January (and *not* require masking even though we have an open-seating plan) but fortunately they just announced a delay to February. I'll feel safer on the cruise than I would have in our office.

We have a May 2022 cruise on NCL Joy and :::knock on wood::: things are less chaotic by then.

US-CDC just released updated, new and different guidance - cutting recommendation for isolation from 10 days to 5 days, those exposed and must quarantine ... for the fully vaxxed and boosted, with the Omicorn mutants.  The medical-scientific circles are raising questions about this ... some folks are going to be pleased and happy with this change.  Some agree and some will not ... testing issues & challenges remain.  

However, this isn't necessary going to be followed and wondering if other countries are going to do it, make the change - and, WHO has yet to respond and say anything at all.   Will NCL and other cruise lines take these into consideration and ... 

Stay tuned, this is going to a wild ride.  

Until we are convinced, will probably self-isolate and avoid large gatherings at least 7 to 10 days before our next cruise in early Spring, wear our KN95 and KF94 masks instead of 3-ply surgical masks when indoors with others outside the household, and, wash hands more frequently or use hand sanitizer when otherwise impractical.  

Edited by mking8288

Wish you luck in  self quarantine! What will happen when you fly, if you do? What do you expect when you get to the port to board the ship? 

I am not trying to create or be snarky. Everything you do now will help you before you leave on the cruise. Then it is a different environment. Really, no masks, no social distancing. 

Stay Safe and Happy New Year!

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Wish you luck in  self quarantine! What will happen when you fly, if you do? What do you expect when you get to the port to board the ship? 

I am not trying to create or be snarky. Everything you do now will help you before you leave on the cruise. Then it is a different environment. Really, no masks, no social distancing. 

I'm not afraid of catching the virus. Im vaxed and boosted and can handle what is likely to be no worse than a cold. I just want to be on the ship. I've been looking forward to this cruise for over a year. I need to know that if I end up testing positive I at least did everything within reason (I know that is subjective) to prevent infection. 

I work from home and usually have groceries delivered so it isn't a huge burden to not go to restaurants or social gathering for a few weeks. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Oxo said:

We are driving straight to the port and not flying so thats a non issue

I dont really care about on or after the cruise if we get it,just as long as we have made it on the ship and get to cruise, I'm good 😅

• Like 1

Are the majority of you guys doing a self quarantine before your cruise to lower the risk of a positive test at the port?

I did a half hearted quarantine for about a week before my cruise.  I worked from home (usually I'd go into the office at least a couple days) tried to avoid crowded places etc.  But I wasn't literally barricaded in my house.  I ran minor errands etc.  I tested (actually twice) on Wednesday and flew Saturday for a Sunday sailing.  

The thing is, no matter how much you lock down, and even with the negative pre-test results, you're going to have a sense of dread going in for your test at the pier.  Just human nature, like how you instinctively slow down when there's a cop behind you, even though you're doing everything perfectly legally 🙂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Oxo said:

I will obviously wear my KN95 and socially distance as much as possible for the airport and the pier. Everyone keeps insisting that planes themselves are incredibly safe because of the air filtration, but you can bet I will keep my mask on tight that whole time too! Though, I suspect that if I contract COVID at that point, it won't really impact my cruise... maybe just my return home. Since my husband and I are both vaxxed and boosted, we aren't too worried about getting very sick if we do get COVID, though we would obviously prefer not to get sick! Our priority is just to make it onto the cruise ship COVID-free.