Quarantine Before Cruise?

NCLGirl2013

Are the majority of you guys doing a self quarantine before your cruise to lower the risk of a positive test at the port? Our cruise leaves 2 weeks from today and we started on Friday. We are still going to the gym because we need to lose a little more weight before then but we are wiping all the equipment down before use and social distancing on any of the machines. 

My question is if you did quarantine, how long did you do it for and were you super strict? 

Edited by NCLGirl2013

I've been quarantined as much as possible for the past two weeks for my Jan 2nd cruise. If being extra careful before the trip increases the likelihood of a negative test at the pier then the small inconvenience now is worth it.

• Like 1

I have tried to limit non-essential trips out of the house in the couple weeks leading up to my cruise.  If I need to run to the store, I do, but I wear a mask.  I have avoided meeting up with friends or going out to eat or really anything that I might do without a mask.  I can do those things after.  For me, spending some extra time at home is well worth it.  Plus, it gives me time to focus on planning and packing.

• Like 3

This past summer before my cruise, the only change I made was I kept away from dining in restaurants and going into grocery stores. I did drive-thrus and pick ups.

I still saw my grandkids. Went to see doctors and nail salons. Just kept away from large groups/gatherings. 

• Like 2

Just stayed away from any potential crowd situation the week before cruising.  We were on the last no mask Bliss cruise last week.  With masks now required, that's probably our last cruise, at least for a long time, or until that requirement is lifted.  We already cancelled our next booked one.  

Edited by roger001
  • Like 1

We have a cruise coming up January 15th and will avoid people as much as possible.  My husband and I are fully vaccinated and had covid a few months ago.  But still, who knows if we can catch the new variant.  We will be as careful as possible.  If I could get a refund, I would cancel.  But I can't, so we will roll with it and hope for the best.

If i were to return to cruising soon I would probably try some of the same measures as before:

I wouldn't go to baseball games for example the last two weeks. However, the night before my last cruise I went to see Paul Simon in Newark- I ended up getting sick as it was september and in the 90's in NYC and my Bar Harbor excursion was in the 50's.

I used to go to a Broadway show the day before the cruise- I wouldn't do that again nor even stay in a hotel or take a train/'bus to the port. I would get a direct ride somehow. Now one time at a Broadway show- Mowtown they were singing "Reach out and touch someone" and the lead told everyone in the audience to hold hands with the people sitting next to them . ughhh.

Fast forward- the earliest I would consider cruising is a March 19th 2023 from NYC 8 nights- my plan if i were to go would be a direct car service there and probably having groceries delivered the prior weekend.

We had Covid in Sept so I’m hoping that will hold for my Jan 14 cruise. I am going to avoid large gatherings but still go to the store and gym. We did not quarantine for our Aug cruise and we were fine. But we were sweatin’ it a bit both at the port and after the cruise since we were flying out of Nassau. 

20 hours ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

Are the majority of you guys doing a self quarantine before your cruise to lower the risk of a positive test at the port? Our cruise leaves 2 weeks from today and we started on Friday. We are still going to the gym because we need to lose a little more weight before then but we are wiping all the equipment down before use and social distancing on any of the machines. 

My question is if you did quarantine, how long did you do it for and were you super strict? 

Yes. Before cruises and long trips, we try to isolate as much as possible. We do all of our shopping and running around 14 days out. And chill and prepare for our cruise or vacation. During that period, we use N95 masks if we are out. And try to follow distancing and hand washing protocols. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. Before cruises and long trips, we try to isolate as much as possible. We do all of our shopping and running around 14 days out. And chill and prepare for our cruise or vacation. During that period, we use N95 masks if we are out. And try to follow distancing and hand washing protocols. 

This is us as well, we are 21 days from sailing and 16 days until we leave, N-95 or KN95 for all including 10 year old, drop off or pickup only. Omicron is running rampant in our community.

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For my last two cruises, I self-isolated for 10 days prior. The only exception was going to work (not much choice there!), where I wore an KN95 mask, everyone on the premises was required to mask, and I have my own office with a door that closes. We are scheduled to cruise again on January 21. With Omicron now in the mix, we aren't taking any chances. Yesterday was the last time we will interact with any friends/family and today was our last trip to the grocery store to stock up.

• Like 2

I don’t do a thing different prior to mandatory testing.  For a false sense of security you could add on an additional week (or two…..or four lol) of quarantine prior to a cruise only to be quarantined to your cabin because you sat next to the wrong person in the comedy club. I chose to stop the fear before the fear stopped me. 

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don’t do a thing different prior to mandatory testing.  For a false sense of security you could add on an additional week (or two…..or four lol) of quarantine prior to a cruise only to be quarantined to your cabin because you sat next to the wrong person in the comedy club. I chose to stop the fear before the fear stopped me. 

I don't think it's a false sense of security. I don't want to test positive and miss my cruise. The way to ensure that is to not have any potential exposure in the week(s) leading up to my cruise. Could I sill catch COVID on the cruise? Of course I could. But at least I am not going to miss my cruise altogether. Typically it takes 5-7 days to test positive after exposure, so I would potentially be done with the cruise before I am testing positive and experiencing symptoms.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't think it's a false sense of security. I don't want to test positive and miss my cruise. The way to ensure that is to not have any potential exposure in the week(s) leading up to my cruise. Could I sill catch COVID on the cruise? Of course I could. But at least I am not going to miss my cruise altogether. Typically it takes 5-7 days to test positive after exposure, so I would potentially be done with the cruise before I am testing positive and experiencing symptoms.

I understand why you have decided to quarantine for a month before your cruise. However;. If I was THAT concerned about testing positive at the pier l I would pass on the cruise. Different strokes. 

edited to add- It seems uncharacteristically selfish of  you to be ok with testing positive on day 5-7 since you would be “potentially done with the cruise”. Given that scenario i believe the Cdc would say you were most contagious to others on day 3 and 4. 

#stopfear 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

We have realized that COVID didn't effect us that much.  We aren't overly social, and prefer to get together with other couples at homes (usually just one other couple) versus going out to bars.  We don't like big crowded events at home (but will do them on vacation).  We don't really eat at restaurants unless traveling because we like to cook, unless I meet a girlfriend for lunch.  

We haven't cruised yet (will be in May) and I assume we will do the same as what we have done with any other vacation during COVID.  That means no seeing friends.  No going into a restaurant.  And, we'll wear masks into stores (which we sometimes do anyways).  Hope for the best.  

Just catching up on today’s news. I must not be Understanding. According to the CdC, those vaccinated only need to quarantine for 5 days after exposure and there is no need to quarantine at all if you are exposed to covid and boosted. So if you trust the CdC statement, there is no need to quarantine at all before heading to the pier if boosted and the most anyone would need to quarantine is 5 days. 

“The CDC also shortened the recommended time for people to quarantine if they are exposed to the virus to a similar five days if they are vaccinated and often to no time if they are boosted.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/27/health/cdc-covid-quarantine-isolation-shortened-recommendation/index.html?utm_term=16406426841171db8f77b1e8a&utm_source=cnn_Breaking+News&utm_medium=email&bt_ee=BPfPHl8gIAcsVPVz%2FpWm%2FeEtNex%2B5qdrFYmAuNlcj45nWub6n7zga7ZGTJ7C2H1y&bt_ts=1640642684119

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I understand why you have decided to quarantine for a month before your cruise. However;. If I was THAT concerned about testing positive at the pier l I would pass on the cruise. Different strokes. 

edited to add- It seems uncharacteristically selfish of  you to be ok with testing positive on day 5-7 since you would be “potentially done with the cruise”. Given that scenario i believe the Cdc would say you were most contagious to others on day 3 and 4. 

#stopfear 

If I test positive after my cruise, that means I contracted COVID on my cruise. I was not the one who brought it onboard, as I will have been self isolating before sailing.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 4:36 PM, TNcruising02 said:

We have a cruise coming up January 15th and will avoid people as much as possible.  My husband and I are fully vaccinated and had covid a few months ago.  But still, who knows if we can catch the new variant.  We will be as careful as possible.  If I could get a refund, I would cancel.  But I can't, so we will roll with it and hope for the best.

also the tests can show pos result for up to 6 months after so you might be unlucky

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just catching up on today’s news. I must not be Understanding. According to the CdC, those vaccinated only need to quarantine for 5 days after exposure and there is no need to quarantine at all if you are exposed to covid and boosted. So if you trust the CdC statement, there is no need to quarantine at all before heading to the pier if boosted and the most anyone would need to quarantine is 5 days. 

“The CDC also shortened the recommended time for people to quarantine if they are exposed to the virus to a similar five days if they are vaccinated and often to no time if they are boosted.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/27/health/cdc-covid-quarantine-isolation-shortened-recommendation/index.html?utm_term=16406426841171db8f77b1e8a&utm_source=cnn_Breaking+News&utm_medium=email&bt_ee=BPfPHl8gIAcsVPVz%2FpWm%2FeEtNex%2B5qdrFYmAuNlcj45nWub6n7zga7ZGTJ7C2H1y&bt_ts=1640642684119

this is true its 7 days in the uk but a LFT test can show pos for up to 6 months after you hvae had the virus so you cannot cruise 

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't think it is a matter of trusting the statement.  That is a guideline intended to keep the country functioning while managing the spread of illness across the overall population.  It is not a guarantee to individuals that their case will not be an exception.