Covid on carnival freedom

Stryker50

The cruise industry is handling COVID better than businesses on land. Where are the articles and stats comparing infection rates and hospitalizations compared to land-based resorts or going to your local mall? That doesn't sell advertising for the news outlets.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

But they do want covid passengers cruising? We’re both coming from the same place.

So you want flights to require vaccinations?  Seems fair to me and what some are already proposing. Domestic flights I mean. ..the ones probably where cruisers are picking up covid on the way to ports.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So you want flights to require vaccinations?  Seems fair to me and what some are already proposing. Domestic flights I mean. ..the ones probably where cruisers are picking up covid on the way to ports.

I wish they would. But still require masks. I think cruisers pick up most covid on land in locations where masks aren't required or enforced.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

Prayers for your wife’s recovery!

I have wondered if in the near future ships will have to test everyone before disembarking in the US? I understand what a hassle that would be, and the complications that would arise would be a logistical nightmare. I’m just thinking out loud of what could happen, in light of the spiral of the last 2 weeks.

Best wishes to all!

NCL tested us before getting on and before getting off back in June. They were taking nearly every precaution possibly. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stryker50 said:

I just think it very unwise to load the ship up and send it out again. No way that ship is being cleaned enough to prevent more cases. Hey that's just my opinion. I wonder if those boarding yesterday were told and given any options.

Theyre all going out again, The NCL Breakaway went back out. She was moored next to the Glory in NOLA Nov 28, Dec 12 Dec19 etc Probably in the same ports sometimes. There had to be some mixing of those 2 groups of passengers each time. Now the Glory is Yellow. 

Edited by sailingships

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

So you think if your vaccinated you shouldn’t have to test when flying back from Mexico? I’d be good with that.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

So you think if your vaccinated you shouldn’t have to test when flying back from Mexico? I’d be good with that.

HUH? How did you come up with that? I mentioned having to be vaccinated to fly domestically (because a famous doctor mentioned it). I dont think I said a word about testing? Pro or against. Frankly I dont care as I'm not flying until covid is better contained. I have had SNJ and others make fun of me for driving to Galveston to cruise. 

If I was married and had someone to vacation with I'd consider flying to mexico to a AI but not solo. Wouldnt be fun. No one in my family wants to fly, only drive. Idk .. I have no opinion about it.

38 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

HUH? How did you come up with that? I mentioned having to be vaccinated to fly domestically (because a famous doctor mentioned it). I dont think I said a word about testing? Pro or against. Frankly I dont care as I'm not flying until covid is better contained. I have had SNJ and others make fun of me for driving to Galveston to cruise. 

If I was married and had someone to vacation with I'd consider flying to mexico to a AI but not solo. Wouldnt be fun. No one in my family wants to fly, only drive. Idk .. I have no opinion about it.

I thought you were suggesting that since cruise lines require vaccinations but don’t test before debarkation, airlines could require vaccination and then not require a test returning from other countries.

If it’s about the vaccination status then they shouldn’t require a test for those who are vaccinated.

For some odd reason they’re letting the cruisers go all over the place and slide back in without a test but requiring one for everyone returning by plane.  As someone who has done both three times this year, it doesn’t make sense to me.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I thought you were suggesting that since cruise lines require vaccinations but don’t test before debarkation, airlines could require vaccination and then not require a test returning from other countries.

If it’s about the vaccination status then they shouldn’t require a test for those who are vaccinated.

For some odd reason they’re letting the cruisers go all over the place and slide back in without a test but requiring one for everyone returning by plane.  As someone who has done both three times this year, it doesn’t make sense to me.

If you are returning by plane it is very likely you have spent much more time in the foreign country than someone on a cruise. They also tested negative before boarding and spent only a few hours a day or two in the country. And were masked when back on board.

30 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

If you are returning by plane it is very likely you have spent much more time in the foreign country than someone on a cruise. They also tested negative before boarding and spent only a few hours a day or two in the country. And were masked when back on board.

Sounds like a rule made by someone who isn’t traveling. You can catch covid in a few hours and I had 7 hour excursions on my last two cruises. I went to a resort in Mexico. Never left the resort. Never got in an elevator. Never sat next to people at dinner. Never had more than 2-5 people at a bar. Frequently I was the only one at the bar. No indoor entertainment. And I have to test to come back. I get on a cruise where I’m constantly packed into elevators, comedy clubs, bars, restaurants and I got out in three different countries for multiple hours at a time and I don’t have to test at all. Whoever made the rule doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Sounds like a rule made by someone who isn’t traveling. You can catch covid in a few hours and I had 7 hour excursions on my last two cruises. I went to a resort in Mexico. Never left the resort. Never got in an elevator. Never sat next to people at dinner. Never had more than 2-5 people at a bar. Frequently I was the only one at the bar. No indoor entertainment. And I have to test to come back. I get on a cruise where I’m constantly packed into elevators, comedy clubs, bars, restaurants and I got out in three different countries for multiple hours at a time and I don’t have to test at all. Whoever made the rule doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Rules are made for the norm and not the exceptions. If you don’t agree with it, don’t travel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sailingships said:

Theyre all going out again, The NCL Breakaway went back out. She was moored next to the Glory in NOLA Nov 28, Dec 12 Dec19 etc Probably in the same ports sometimes. There had to be some mixing of those 2 groups of passengers each time. Now the Glory is Yellow. 

Just to set the record straight - The Breakaway returned to New Orleans with its virus outbreak on Dec. 5th. The CDC rated Glory green until December 20th. The two ships have separate terminals in New Orleans, Roatan and Cozumel. I do not think they were in Belize at the same time, but I can't be sure.

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, LakeWobegon said:

The cruise industry is handling COVID better than businesses on land. Where are the articles and stats comparing infection rates and hospitalizations compared to land-based resorts or going to your local mall? That doesn't sell advertising for the news outlets.

I'm not sure if saying cruise industry is handling covid better than land business would be correct. When you board a ship, you're coming from land. When you get off at the ports, you're going on to land.

If infected and not showing symptoms that in itself is a problem, while spreading covid.

46 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Rules are made for the norm and not the exceptions. If you don’t agree with it, don’t travel.

I'm right. They're wrong  You're seeing it with what's happening on ships right now.  I'm going to travel either way. If cruising gets shut down I'm going back to the resorts.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, icft said:

Just to set the record straight - The Breakaway returned to New Orleans with its virus outbreak on Dec. 5th. The CDC rated Glory green until December 20th. The two ships have separate terminals in New Orleans, Roatan and Cozumel. I do not think they were in Belize at the same time, but I can't be sure.

I believe they also have a separate area in Belize as well with that Harvest Caye.

59 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

What's different today? Omicron.

• Like 2

While I know I could be wrong, I think the cruise lines have created their own problems by claiming to enforce mask protocols, but not actually doing it.  I have been on Carnival and RCCL in the last 2 months, and neither were making much of an effort to actually enforce their protocols throughout the ship.   Is the press over hyping the situation, of course they are, as they always seem to do when cruise ships are in the news.  But the cruise lines knew that just like we did.  They flew under the press radar for the most part, until the loaded up their ships.  And now, if you'll excuse the expression, the ships have hit the fan.  I am supposed to be on Mardi Gras January 15th,  I don't know what I will do yet, but if I go, I will expect no ports, no shows and no compensation,  that way I can't be disappointed.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am unsure why people are surprised to hear about breakouts on a cruise ship.  They are everywhere.  It is a CHOICE we make when we decide to take our lives back.  Sending the ship back out has zero to do with anything.  The infected are off, it does transmit on surfaces.  We chose to live our lives, knowing the risks involved.  If other choose not to, because of medical reasons or otherwise, all is good.

The infected crew are not off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

It's a perfect storm, Omicron and holiday gatherings. I asked before on a different thread, what will happen when so many have to cancel because they can't pass the test? It is not likely the rules will change but I feel like we are about to enter a difficult window.

Unfortunately, this may come true. 

On 12/27/2021 at 9:21 AM, loohoo1 said:

The infected are off

What about the crew? Surely they are contributing to the spread. I'm supposed to be on Freedom on 1/9. We won't even consider it. I understand when people say they are double vaxxed and boosted (as are we) but my very healthy brother and my son got COVID (and are vaxxed and boosted) and it was still a miserable experience- in bed for 4-5 days. No one was concerned they'd die, but who wants to be on a cruise with a really bad cold? I'd much rather have my own bed, etc.

Surely we have no idea whether they are or are not.  The cruise line is following what the EXPERTS are telling them to do.  As I said, we all make choices, I gave up 20 months when someone else controlled the destiny.  Now we have options,  if you want to stay home, I understand that.  I will do a “live”report from my next cruise.