Why is radiance yellow with cdc?

geckoaz

1 minute ago, llarsen said:

We are sailing on Miracle to Cabo next week. 

So if a ship is in the Yellow, what does that mean for passengers?

Does that mean no one gets off in port?

It means nothing other than the CDC is investigating the number of positive cases on the ship. The color coding system is a CDC system, and the CDC has absolutely no authority or say so as to what the Mexican government decides to do in regards to admitting cruise ships and their passengers.  

• Like 1

Not to hijack this thread, but I found this interesting:

"Eighty six ships were reported in "yellow status" on Tuesday, meaning reported cases of COVID-19 aboard have met the threshold for CDC investigation."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26469-senator-blumenthal-takes-aim-at-cruise-industry.html

Considering cases are all over the world and the vaccine cannot 100% prevent transmission and we all have information available to this effect, and the higher rate of omicron contagiousness, and finally the peak demand of this holiday week, it was inevitable that numbers of cases would also peak on the ships. 

It’s fine that we all want to know what’s going on but the surprise seems disingenuous to me. Are people truly that naïve to have thought cruises are somehow immune to the situation? Or that they can 100% ever control pathogens jumping off their passengers?

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:51 PM, geckoaz said:

I am on the radiance for a new years eve cruise. Today the cdc reported the radiance was yellow. I presume there was an outbreak on the cruises after dec 13 but have heard nothing. Does anyone know any facts?

The fact is the omnicron variant is the most contagious thing I have ever heard of and any ship that is not red is just under reporting.  I was supposed to be on the December Carnival Magic cruise and we had a group of about 400 members in our group on the other site and I would say about 50 of them came back posotive or had to quarantine while on the boat.  My family didn't go because my daughters basketball team of over 30 girls 18 had Covid , including my daughter which we learned at the test 48 hours before the cruise.  This variant is absolutely crazy.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:51 PM, geckoaz said:

I am on the radiance for a new years eve cruise. Today the cdc reported the radiance was yellow. I presume there was an outbreak on the cruises after dec 13 but have heard nothing. Does anyone know any facts?

It changes to yellow if one crew member tests positive. Outbreak is probably the wrong term (not yours, the media)

5 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Not everyone gets tested. Symptoms are mild to non existent with omicron for fully vaccinated/boosted individuals. I read an article yesterday that omicron is the 2nd most contagious virus in the world behind the measles. Noro is easily avoided through proper hygiene. 

So, you are telling me that you "suspect" that things are worse than reported, despite the fact that everybody has to be tested before embarkation?

Should we just shut down cruises again because there is a virus that you think is going around that is soo bad that people don't even know that they have it??? 🤣

Thanks for confirming that that there is no data to support those claims. 

3 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

So, you are telling me that you "suspect" that things are worse than reported, despite the fact that everybody has to be tested before embarkation?

Should we just shut down cruises again because there is a virus that you think is going around that is soo bad that people don't even know that they have it??? 🤣

I never said anything about shutting things down, it's common sense that there are more cases than reported given how contagious this is. This strain is like if you were to report how many people have the flu. I think I've only had one flu test in my life but I've definitely had it more than once but never sought treatment. The point was that there are likely more cases than reported, but there are not serious issues like last year where people were dying on ships from covid. If there were, the CDC would have already shut things down again.

I have a cruise in 2 weeks that has been rescheduled many times, so no, I don't want cruising to shut down again. 

4 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

The jury is still out on omicron which isn't as widespread as was thought. I'll wait for sufficient facts and data before assuming it is as harmless as some pretend.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:54 PM, BasicSailor said:

Many may cruise for sure, just not this ole Boy 😉 to me it matters. I do find it strange that Yellow has been popping left and right within the CDC, but nothing is tipping the iceberg into Red.

If one crew member Teats positive it puts the ship In the yellow… There are no numbers for red.. It’s only if it overwhelms the health staff on the ship…

Nothing to panic about..

3 hours ago, geckoaz said:

20211230_083019.thumb.jpg.398bf97014b8e3d8091d1316a452d6a1.jpgReady to go over and check in radiance. Very wet with lots of rain. Looking straight on at Queen Mary. Radiance is behind it at moment. 

We board next Friday. Hope your cruise is fun, and if you end up with pics of the menu, paper fun times, etc. I'd love to see them.

Guest BasicSailor
17 hours ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

If one crew member Teats positive it puts the ship In the yellow… There are no numbers for red.. It’s only if it overwhelms the health staff on the ship…

Nothing to panic about..

Not to worry, I'm not one to panic. But I am one that believes in living 👍.  Just curious as to why Red has not been displayed with the CDC . Instincts say there should be.

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

Not to worry, I'm not one to panic. But I am one that believes in living 👍.  Just curious as to why Red has not been displayed with the CDC . Instincts say there should be.

I'm thinking it is because positives with mild symptoms don't threaten to overwhelm the ship's health facilities. Mild cases just quarantine.

The latest yellow stats I am aware off are as follows:

Carnival (fleetwide):     33 ships 

NCL (fleetwide)             15 ships

RCL (fleetwide)              27 ships

I have not read the statistics regarding cruisers coming down with the virus versus the general population which is a better definition of risk evaluation.

Yet with the above the CDC is only recommending not cruising and not stopping the industry as they did before. 

Cruise with your eyes open, understand the risk, take appropriate precautions and hopefully you can enjoy the cruise.  

I have not read the statistics regarding cruisers coming down with the virus versus the general population which is a better definition of risk evaluation.

Yet with the above the CDC is only recommending not cruising and not stopping the industry as they did before. 

Cruise with your eyes open, understand the risk, take appropriate precautions and hopefully you can enjoy the cruise.  

Below information is from USA article today (I would suspect there are definitely potential cruisers (that never never made it to the ship) in these numbers and the last cruise only stats I saw reported was 5,000 active/pos cases were reported from active cruise ships between 12/19 - 12/29)...

The U.S. recorded 647,067 million cases Thursday; more than 2 million were notched in the last four days. 

With both the omicron and delta variants infecting people, the U.S. is now averaging about 356,000 cases per day – and more than four cases every second. 

On Thursday, 16 states reported record case counts: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and Washington and also Puerto Rico.