Really starting to have my doubts

UUNetBill

So after a two year hiatus, we're finally getting ready to sail on January 6th.  But I have to say that this is the first time in 12 years of Regent cruises that I'm not overly excited about boarding a ship, if even for a week.

The mask mandates, constant testing, port cancellations, and the overall uncertainty of the entire cruise have really taken the luster off of this cruise.  We're up to our elbows in masks and home test kits, we haven't left our house in almost two weeks for fear of getting infected before we sail...I gotta say, I'd be happy if Regent pulled the plug on this one so we could reschedule for later on.

Sad but true.  😞

• Like 9

UUNetBill...I believe I read on another thread that Regent has reinstituted Regent Reassurance for sailings in Jan-Feb (I believe).

This could mean you would be able to reschedule if you would like.  I too am getting very tired of all of this, but I am getting more fearful of even going out. I have elderly parents I take care of and don't want to risk carrying COVID to them somehow.

I would call Regent...can't believe they would not be accommodating given the evolving COVID situation.  You cannot be the only one thinking this way.  Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I totally understand how you feel.  Preparing for our December 9th Explorer adventure was nerve wracking to say the least.  My family can attest to my insanity during the preparation.  However, while on the cruise, it was a true escape from reality!  Yes, we wore our masks when walking around the ship and, yes, there were tests and many reminders of the true situation in the real world (including a total of 11 positive infections onboard), however, the cruise itself was a heavenly break!   We enjoyed each moment, each drink, each meal, each show and each (socially distant or masked) conversation.  I hope that you can relax enough onboard to make all the necessary prep work worthwhile.  I certainly don't regret going.

• Like 4

I know what you're going through. It appears Regent is now letting passengers reschedule January and February cruises. I moved mine from January 3rd to March 13th. I feel the situation will be better by March.

Tom.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, darn88 said:

UUNetBill...I believe I read on another thread that Regent has reinstituted Regent Reassurance for sailings in Jan-Feb (I believe).

This could mean you would be able to reschedule if you would like.  I too am getting very tired of all of this, but I am getting more fearful of even going out. I have elderly parents I take care of and don't want to risk carrying COVID to them somehow.

I would call Regent...can't believe they would not be accommodating given the evolving COVID situation.  You cannot be the only one thinking this way.  Just my two cents.

Unfortunately I think we're out of luck as Regent Reassurance doesn't apply within 15 days.  We're 9 days out, which blows because a week ago things didn't look that bleak.  I could probably suck it up and do the mask/testing/distancing crap, but we're traveling with my in-laws who probably won't be as agreeable to the restrictions...it's almost like I'm feeling pressured to go since we've made final payment, but deep down inside I'm not happy about going - and that's a first for a Regent cruise.

================================================================================

Regent Reassurance was developed to provide flexibility and choice while planning a Regent Seven Seas Cruises vacation. Guests who booked an applicable voyage with Regent Reassurance and have paid in full may cancel their voyage up to 15 days* prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

17 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Unfortunately I think we're out of luck as Regent Reassurance doesn't apply within 15 days.  We're 9 days out, which blows because a week ago things didn't look that bleak.  I could probably suck it up and do the mask/testing/distancing crap, but we're traveling with my in-laws who probably won't be as agreeable to the restrictions...it's almost like I'm feeling pressured to go since we've made final payment, but deep down inside I'm not happy about going - and that's a first for a Regent cruise.

================================================================================

Regent Reassurance was developed to provide flexibility and choice while planning a Regent Seven Seas Cruises vacation. Guests who booked an applicable voyage with Regent Reassurance and have paid in full may cancel their voyage up to 15 days* prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Know how you feel...I have had to cancel plans this week because of the COVID escalation and we have had these plans for months in anticipation of COVID being less prevalent. Boy, were we sorely mistaken.

BTW...I am a Regent newbie.  We have now moved our first Regent cruise out another year due to COVID and other scheduling issues.  The anticipation is killing me seeing all of the incredible posts on this board.

As you are a long time Regent customer, you might want to call and ask what can be done if anything.  At least you would be fully informed...all they can say is no I guess.

Also,  thank you for all of the effort you put into this board.  I have been following it for a long time. And as a new Regent cruiser, I have found the information very useful.  It is because of your (and others) contributions to this board that I decided to book a cruise with Regent!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Unfortunately I think we're out of luck as Regent Reassurance doesn't apply within 15 days.  We're 9 days out, which blows because a week ago things didn't look that bleak.

Please have your travel agent call Regent. I would be very surprised if they didn't accommodate you. 

On Jan 6 cruise as well and we are still going--just hoping Regent doesn't cancel, but I have an emergency plan B if that does happen.  My perspective is different as I am a doctor and around covid patients all the time.  My fear is testing positive and not being able to board. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I second @Grandmaanne7's post above.  The week before we joined Splendor in November, we were both questioning if we'd done the right thing in boarding a plane with a view to joining a ship, never mind all the tests and the anxiety associated with it.  But the minute we stepped on board and opened the bottle of champagne, all of that was behind us and the Regent that we know and love did the job.

Yes, we wore masks - a small price to pay to feel more confident about our own safety and that of others (I don't feel it's right for crew to wear them and guests not....we all breathe the same air after all).  We missed getting together with liked minded people on board for dinner and drinks, but we still had a terrific time and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Oh, and we missed two ports too, and had a substitution - nothing to do with CV.  Isn't that what happens on a cruise sometimes?

I agree the fear of testing positive, as @RachelG describes above is a worry.  I think that waiting for that result was the most nerve-wracking of them all and my anxiety defied all logic and reason.  Fortunately it was unfounded as I hope yours will be also.

• Like 6

Our cruise is 1/19/22.  We are going.  I don’t mind if we miss all ports, isolate in our cabin (with movies, champagne, and room service), or wear masks when not eating or drinking.  We have been doing this for two years and have remained remarkably healthy.  We like each other, we like Regent, it’s a go for us unless Regent changes it’s mind.  

• Like 15

Passing on a Celebrity cruise in 4 weeks…but so hope it’s a different Covid picture by late March when final payment is due on our Regent June Baltic cruise. That cruise is all about the ports for us! Significant changes would be so disappointing. The Regent experience alone we know is an amazing vacation. But for us we want a true travel adventure on this cruise as well.

8 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

UUNetBill, you've zeroed in on the dilemma many if not all of us experience about returning to cruising.  For me the risks currently outweigh the rewards because of anxiety over what could happen.  I realize that the risks of getting Covid, being quarantined, etc., are probably realistically small, but I also realize that traveling with the concern in the background would put a damper on enjoying the cruise for me.  Traveling with others who don't like the restrictions also further complicates things as you mentioned.  

Wearing masks constantly is not something I particularly would enjoy during a vacation, and also, perhaps even more concerning, is having to deal with people who don't wear masks or follow guidelines. (Recently someone mentioned about guests not all following mask guidelines on tours. I would find that both annoying and troubling.)

Ultimately, this is a personal decision that each of us has to make regarding our tolerance for uncertainty.  There is no single answer that applies to everyone, IMO.

• Like 3

Bill ~ I think that if your in-laws (they sound more like ‘out-laws’ 😅) don’t follow the mask mandate, etc. they may find themselves confined to their cabin, or at the very least socially shunned.  We are currently on the Oceania Riviera and yesterday sat outside (unmasked as allowed at a distance) a good 10 feet from a woman eating breakfast, who immediately gathered up her food and stomped off to another table.   🙈

After our first port of call (Aruba) there were “a number” of passengers with positive Covid tests.  There are close to 2000 people onboard including passengers and crew and the Captain said we are nearing 1% positive.  In Willemstad, Curaçao yesterday the authorities would not let us go ashore.  Oceania has cancelled our stop in Grenada today, so it’s an extra sea day which suits me just fine.  We decided at the beginning to stay on the ship rather than tour the ports out of an abundance of caution, and I think it was a good decision.

However, I have to say that we absolutely love being on the water again.  The food, the service, the fancy drinks are such a welcome relief after 23 months of not cruising.  We have a mask mandate at home so having it here is no different.  And I am grateful for the testing onboard for my own peace of mind.  We are scheduled to be on the Splendor on April 5, 2022 and won’t consider cancelling as long as we are healthy.  Fingers crossed the worldwide situation improves by then.

Edited by FengShui@Sea
  • Like 1

I’ll say what I said last night in the roll call…

Well, we're not joyously looking forward to it either but we’re going. We’ll mask up, take care, etc. and hope Regent gets shows and lectures back on track. The ports are ok but we’re mostly going to get some warm weather and, in fact, enjoy the sun, food and beverages. We have some anxiety but who knows if next month, quarter, year, etc. will be any better? I didn’t see this coming till it was really too late to back out. If we thought it was truly dangerous, we’d cancel. But Regent would probably cancel if it got that bad. 

Ships with 1% Covid rates aren’t much different from many US locations. Everyone on board will be vaccinated and tested, and I suspect most will be boostered  too. That’s more than I can say for my local grocery store or restaurant. 

We were on a Silversea cruise earlier this month and certainly enjoyed it. Yes, Covid has gotten worse since even then but I’m going to be optimistic and pack some patience too. 

It’s easy to focus on what is ‘wrong’ but I’m going to to focus on what’s ‘right’. 

That’s not much for a pep talk but I hope it helps! 

• Like 4

I’ll also add two other thoughts that have come up since then…

I heard last night that Carnival changed their cancellation period to 48 hours; you could cancel up tom48 hours before a cruise and get a FCC. I haven’t verified that but the source was one who is usually reliable. If Regent did that, we would seriously look at that option. 

Second, I see this morning you’re traveling with your in-laws who aren’t, let’s say, as adaptable to change. That definitely throws another consideration into the mix and I’m sorry you’ve got that worry as well. 

@UUNetBill I hope if you cancel and get a FCC you let us know how. (And hopefully it’s available to everyone, not just a select few!) And if you go, I hope we meet onboard! 

4 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Bill ~ I think that if your in-laws (they sound more like ‘out-laws’ 😅) don’t follow the mask mandate, etc. they may find themselves confined to their cabin, or at the very least socially shunned.  We are currently on the Oceania Riviera and yesterday sat outside (unmasked as allowed at a distance) a good 10 feet from a woman eating breakfast, who immediately gathered up her food and stomped off to another table.   🙈

After our first port of call (Aruba) there were “a number” of passengers with positive Covid tests.  There are close to 2000 people onboard including passengers and crew and the Captain said we are nearing 1% positive.  In Willemstad, Curaçao yesterday the authorities would not let us go ashore.  Oceania has cancelled our stop in Grenada today, so it’s an extra sea day which suits me just fine.  We decided at the beginning to stay on the ship rather than tour the ports out of an abundance of caution, and I think it was a good decision.

However, I have to say that we absolutely love being on the water again.  The food, the service, the fancy drinks are such a welcome relief after 23 months of not cruising.  We have a mask mandate at home so having it here is no different.  And I am grateful for the testing onboard for my own peace of mind.  We are scheduled to be on the Splendor on April 5, 2022 and won’t consider cancelling as long as we are healthy.  Fingers crossed the worldwide situation improves by then.

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

I’ll also add two other thoughts that have come up since then…

I heard last night that Carnival changed their cancellation period to 48 hours; you could cancel up tom48 hours before a cruise and get a FCC. I haven’t verified that but the source was one who is usually reliable. If Regent did that, we would seriously look at that option. 

Second, I see this morning you’re traveling with your in-laws who aren’t, let’s say, as adaptable to change. That definitely throws another consideration into the mix and I’m sorry you’ve got that worry as well. 

@UUNetBill I hope if you cancel and get a FCC you let us know how. (And hopefully it’s available to everyone, not just a select few!) And if you go, I hope we meet onboard! 

Just to clarify a bit, I didn't mean to imply that my in-laws wouldn't comply with the mandates, more that there'd be some inherent grumbling of which my wife and I would be the (un)lucky recipients.  🙂

After speaking with Regent yesterday, our cruise apparently wasn't booked under the Regent Reassurance plan (not that reassuring, huh?) so it seems that our options are to go and deal with any potential hassles or to stay home and eat the cost of the cruise.  So obviously we're going.

Having had some more time to think about it I'm sure we'll have a great time, Covid restrictions or no.  I think I was just in 'grumpy old man' mode yesterday and I'm sure that once we get on board we'll be fine.  I figure we need to get back out there and start living again sometime, so why not now?  I mean, who would have thought that we'd still be dealing with this crap two years later?  Weren't we supposed to mask and distance for a few weeks to flatten the curve?  Sheesh...

Anyhow, thanks to all who posted and for those on this sailing, we'll see you on board - at least from the nose up and at a distance, but ya gotta start somewhere, right?  Ha!

Here's to at least be out sailing again...

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Just to clarify a bit, I didn't mean to imply that my in-laws wouldn't comply with the mandates, more that there'd be some inherent grumbling of which my wife and I would be the (un)lucky recipients. 

I thought that’s what you really meant, I didn’t mean to say they wouldn’t comply, just that they’d be unhappy companions. I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear.  

9 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I think I was just in 'grumpy old man' mode yesterday and I'm sure that once we get on board we'll be fine. 

I see-saw back and forth myself. 

10 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I figure we need to get back out there and start living again sometime, so why not now? 

Right! 

10 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Anyhow, thanks to all who posted and for those on this sailing, we'll see you on board

See you on board! 

24 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

We will be joining Mariner 1/5 after being orphaned from Navigator's first return-to-sailing voyage scheduled to depart 1/6.  We're going, and while we abhor the useless mask requirement we are not the least bit concerned about this variant-of-the-month that's largely asymptomatic or like the common cold.  So what! A sniffle or two never hurt me before so I am not worried in the least.

Our ONLY concern is getting a positive pre-board test result with no temperature or symptoms.  Then we're essentially screwed. We are triple-vaxxed but that apparently doesn't matter at this point. 

In any case...we are ready to board and ENJOY the wonderful accommodations, exceptional crew  & dining...and "a few" libations!  LET'S GO!  👍

I agree - at this point I don't worry about getting Covid - I worry about the ramifications of popping hot.  A positive test can really derail your plans...test positive before you sail, you don't sail.  Test positive on board, you get locked down.  Test positive at the end of the cruise, you don't get home for a while.

But dammit, I haven't been on a Regent ship since January 2020 and I'm MORE than overdue.  I'll just make sure I download a few extra books and bring my work computer in case I get incarcerated somewhere down the line...

Interesting comments.  We are booked Jan 12 and then Feb. 3 - yesterday Regent told us NO rebooking possible for our upcoming cruises under the Reassurance plan.  Use it or lose it.

So, we have to eat the costs. Airports, flying to Miami, hotel, Ubers, getting on board, visiting islands where a large % are unvaccinated = too risky.  After NY's Eve partying, with so many shoulder to shoulder in airports...the Covid spread will skyrocket further next month.

News today of ports refusing entry (except Mexico) and positive test rates with crew and passengers on 70 ships.  Friends just left Explorer where there were a small number of passengers testing positive and quarantined onboard...but widespread unmasked passengers roaming around and crowded bars. 

We'd rather be on Splendor but not with the red warning lights flashing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

After speaking with Regent yesterday, our cruise apparently wasn't booked under the Regent Reassurance plan (not that reassuring, huh?) so it seems that our options are to go and deal with any potential hassles or to stay home and eat the cost of the cruise.  So obviously we're going.

I'm shocked by this attitude on Regent's part. I don't understand how any cruise line in this environment would force any passenger to sail against his will. The factors that are leading people to reschedule were not even in play a month ago. Doesn't Regent see what's happening now on its own ships?

Regent cannot possibly guarantee the cruise experience it is selling, in spite of what it may say in any fine print. It can't guarantee there will be staff to cook the food and serve it. It can't guarantee entertainment and other activities. And it can't guarantee you will be able to disembark in any ports.

Passengers are not asking for refunds, just the opportunity to reschedule. I can only hope NCLH and Regent executives will soon realize they have only one viable choice to make, and allow passengers concerned about their physical and mental health to pick another date.

None of this is the passengers fault. They shouldn't have fine print waived in their faces and be forced to choose between their money and their wellbeing. Why would they ever take another Regent cruise, especially on a line known for its repeat sailors?

And lastly, as long as I'm at it, why hasn't Regent done the one simple thing that would raise the safety of all passengers and crew, require booster shots for passengers?

Edited to add even one more point: Carnival already has announced it will allow passengers on upcoming cruises to switch or get refunds. If you're NCLH, why would you sit back and let Carnival lead the way on cruise compassion?

Edited by giustot
  • Like 6