Jewel of the Seas - December 30

Enjoy your cruise! We’re booked on the jewel for later this year! 

Will be great reading this blog…
If you get the opportunity, would love to know which specialities restaurants are open for lunch as well as dinner as we have booked the ultimate dining package, and a pics of wine list by the glass prices.👍

bon voyage!

• Like 1

Just off the Jewel. The UDP was great, although a bit repetitive. When at sea, all 3 restaurants were open for lunch 1200-130. Not on embarkation.
Suggestion… at Giovanni’s, order the Shrimp main but ask to have it over fresh linguine instead of mashed potatoes. Mmmmm. It was good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DevonfromAcme said:

Unless they miraculously manage to keep Covid number under 1% for this sailing (as opposed to 2.4% for the last sailing 😲) there is no way in hell they are going to be able to set foot in Aruba.

It can be done.  Other ships are doing it🤩

5 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Not sure how many are onboard but I’ll find out later.

The CDC just released their, don’t get on cruise ships under any circumstances recommendation. A little late for that one - I’m no and not getting off unless someone makes me. At the very least I will hangout on the balcony and read the entire trip.

Our rooms were ready around 2:30ish. We waited for our room to be ready at the cafe on 5. Haven’t really done any exploring yet. I might leave my mom to hangout and do a quick look around. Nice thing about a smaller ship - it doesn’t take forever to get places.

Years ago, I used to enjoy the small Majesty of the Seas. I would book last minute sailings on her for cheap. She didnt have all the bells and whistles that the mega ships have now, but cruising on her was so peaceful. I was just on the Symphony. Enjoyed her also. But, the smaller ships have benefits as well. Enjoy your cruise! 

Sail away went off without a hitch - we ended up watching from our balcony because we had dinner at 5:30; what I selected when booking. Well we got downstairs and they had us as my time dinning. It was rectified but we had to agree to a shared table. I didn't care - I'm all for making some new friends.

Service was a bit slow but not terrible. I have Celiac and thus eat gluten free. They've handled it wonderfully so far. I'm even getting French toast for breakfast 🙂

It is clear they are short staffed but everyone seems to be in a good mood. I'm an easy going person and unless there is an egregious error I just roll with whatever happens. That includes ports - who knows where we'll end up but that's the risk one takes cruising right now.

The percent positive on the last cruise is high. Are they doing everything possible to stop spread? Probably not everything (not everyone has to be vaccinated). Are decisions being made to put profit before people? I think they'll say no but they are a corporation in business to return a profit for shareholders. They do have to think of the health and safety of people though to have a profit. The unanswered and debatable question is where is the line? I'm just glad I'm not making those decisions. 

I weighed the risk on taking this trip and made the decision to go. Intelligent - maybe not but it's made and I'm going to make the most of it and have a good time.

I'm at Schooner now listening to Jamie play the piano. He's fanatic and I having an excellent time.

I'll gather some information on questions you've asked tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, FlyOverGirl said:

I weighed the risk on taking this trip and made the decision to go.

I'm glad you're having a good time!  My wife and I are boarding Jewel on 1/29 with our two sons (10 and 5) and we're definitely looking forward to it!   We're vaxxed, boosted, and the boys just got their 2nd vax shot a few days ago.

Now if they'd already tell us what they're going to do instead of Labadee....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Sail away went off without a hitch - we ended up watching from our balcony because we had dinner at 5:30; what I selected when booking. Well we got downstairs and they had us as my time dinning. It was rectified but we had to agree to a shared table. I didn't care - I'm all for making some new friends.

Service was a bit slow but not terrible. I have Celiac and thus eat gluten free. They've handled it wonderfully so far. I'm even getting French toast for breakfast 🙂

It is clear they are short staffed but everyone seems to be in a good mood. I'm an easy going person and unless there is an egregious error I just roll with whatever happens. That includes ports - who knows where we'll end up but that's the risk one takes cruising right now.

The percent positive on the last cruise is high. Are they doing everything possible to stop spread? Probably not everything (not everyone has to be vaccinated). Are decisions being made to put profit before people? I think they'll say no but they are a corporation in business to return a profit for shareholders. They do have to think of the health and safety of people though to have a profit. The unanswered and debatable question is where is the line? I'm just glad I'm not making those decisions. 

I weighed the risk on taking this trip and made the decision to go. Intelligent - maybe not but it's made and I'm going to make the most of it and have a good time.

I'm at Schooner now listening to Jamie play the piano. He's fanatic and I having an excellent time.

Off that they would have you share a table when social distancing should be in place. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, shelpt said:

We are on the Jewel January 9th. Excited to follow your posts. I heard if you go to guest services you can find out how many passengers are on the next cruise. If you happen to be there for something else, can you ask about the Jan 9th cruise? Hope you guys have a great time and Bon Voyage!

I imagine the count for your January 9 cruise will decline a lot over the next week.

• Like 1

Yes I completely agree with this…I am also Celiac and since I was diagnosed (2014) have always been put at our own table on Royal (and other lines) due to the risk of cross contamination.  Personally, I am a bit shocked Royal would ask you sit at a shared table due to social distancing requirements (and being Celiac) for parties right now.  I wouldn’t risk the cross contamination or the risk of potentially being quarantined due to sitting with people from other parities.  (From what I’ve heard recently, if someone at the shared table tests positive, all members of that shared table are close contacts and isolated for 24 hours until test negative). 

• Like 2

Just now, Meem47 said:

Yes I completely agree with this…I am also Celiac and since I was diagnosed (2014) have always been put at our own table on Royal (and other lines) due to the risk of cross contamination.  Personally, I am a bit shocked Royal would ask you sit at a shared table due to social distancing requirements (and being Celiac) for parties right now.  I wouldn’t risk the cross contamination or the risk of potentially being quarantined due to sitting with people from other parities.  (From what I’ve heard recently, if someone at the shared table tests positive, all members of that shared table are close contacts and isolated for 24 hours until test negative). 

11 hours ago, emdia43 said:

That should say odd. 

3 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Correct, but everyone is saying a 1% cruise ship rate is equal to that- it is not. The 1% is a total of the population. The test positive rate on cruise ships is higher (much higher if you test everyone or test them shortly after the cruise which is when the test will show positive from those that caught it on the ship). You take the total tested on the ship (like Ontario) and take a percent of those that tested positive like you do on land. The 1% is counting those that never tested. Ontario is not counting those never tested when they state 29.8 percent.

Royal Caribbean has stated their positivity rate is less than 1% (as of last week) and in addition to that the rate per total passenger is also around 1% (as of last week). 

Ontario's positivity rate is estimated to be significantly higher because they have run out of PCR tests.   People can't get tested.   Starting today they'll only test symptomatic individuals.

So that 29.8% is believed to be understated.    

• Like 1

I recently heard on local news they are saying dont get tested for on land if you were a close contact.  Only test if you have symptoms.  

The mfg of test kits must be working 24/7.    

I wonder how many test kits each cruise ship has onboard.  Some are testing crew 1 to 3 times a week.

23 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Isn't 2.4% rather high and can't sail.....better start unloading positive people onboard to shoreside

The Symphony did this past week. Approximately 200 crew walked to the Radiance (being used as their covid ship) during the night. 

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Spell
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

The Symphony did this part week. Approximately 200 crew walked to the Radiance (being used as their covid ship) during the night. 

I don't see anything in the media but can imagine the crew being on one deck at night would easily spread it.

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Photos from another cruiser on same sailing.

Screenshot_20211229-150814_Chrome.jpg

At what point do they start to run out of crew needed for dining rooms, bars, housekeeping, etc?

Their handling from the beginning has not been good with constant protocol changes last spring/summer and letting unvaxxed people sail. Then they punish vaxxed by keeping them clustered in theaters and dining rooms, while allowing unvaxxed space in same rooms (different sections).

I think the issue are the inconsistencies; it's a let's throw whatever we think will work/people will tolerate out there and hope it works. 

The point about shared table and close contact is a good one. I am going to see if we can change. Gluten cross contamination at the table doesn't worry me - if it's going to happen it will be in prep or the order being entered wrong. They don't know what is and isn't okay to eat - case in point asking me if potatoes are okay to eat.

Got up this morning and had breakfast. Grabbed a coffee and wandered the shops. Agenda until dinner is to hold down this deck lounger.  Which - no problem finding one. 

3 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

I think the issue are the inconsistencies; it's a let's throw whatever we think will work/people will tolerate out there and hope it works. 

The point about shared table and close contact is a good one. I am going to see if we can change. Gluten cross contamination at the table doesn't worry me - if it's going to happen it will be in prep or the order being entered wrong. They don't know what is and isn't okay to eat - case in point asking me if potatoes are okay to eat.

Got up this morning and had breakfast. Grabbed a coffee and wandered the shops. Agenda until dinner is to hold down this deck lounger.  Which - no problem finding one. 

Are you marked as Celiac in your cruise planner? And have the speciality dining approval prior to sailing? I’ve been sailing for years as Celiac and always have the head waiter assist me and our entire table with orders…I would never place an order with a regular server if they asked about potatoes being gluten free.  And yes, cross contamination can easily come from a shared table.  They have an entirely separate workstation in the galley where they prepare these meals, I was lucky enough to have a head waiter show me (it was a slow night haha) once aboard Freedom.  While each person is different in symptoms, if I had a reaction on the ship it would most definitely destroy the entire trip and land me down in medical.   They take allergens and Celiac very seriously…if it’s not noted in accommodations prior to sailing, they will treat it as “gluten free diet” versus “celiac disease/allergy” 

Edited by Meem47

16 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Ask him to play Alphie he promised would learn this standard 

Hope you have a great cruise! I was on the previous sailing and had a great time despite the COVID effects onboard. I agree, Jamie in the Schooner Bar is amazing! I hope you get to check out some theater shows. The singers, dancers, and orchestra players are some of the best I've ever seen! 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

How are they handling a shared table "under the circumstances"?  Past experience has had us anywhere from 4 - 10 per table and not at all distanced.

Hope you're having an awesome time.  Be well and safe.

• Like 1