Sunset view cabins v Infinite balcony

florence11

Hi,

I am looking at booking a cruise to New Zealand in March 24 on Celebrity edge. We are undecided on what is the better cabin to book I do like traditional balconies but the new type do intrigue me, so I am hoping someone can help me come to a decision on which would be better.

Thanks

I would do the Sunset Veranda.  Large veranda with a true balcony.  However for a cool or rainy itinerary the IV give you a floor to ceiling view.  For us it is a suite or Sunset veranda on the Eclass .  We found the Infinite veranda to be ok but we spend a lot ( LOT) of time on the balcony.  The E class ships are beautiful.

• Like 1

If you have not been in an IV cabin, this would be the perfect opportunity for you to try it.  Many traditionalists don't like them, but those who are more progressive in their thinking do in fact like them.

Our last cruise was in an IV on the Edge in January of 2020 and liked it so much we chose the same cabin on the Apex for our sailing next month.  It was great having the glass down overnight and hearing the waves.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you have not been in an IV cabin, this would be the perfect opportunity for you to try it.  Many traditionalists don't like them, but those who are more progressive in their thinking do in fact like them.

Our last cruise was in an IV on the Edge in January of 2020 and liked it so much we chose the same cabin on the Apex for our sailing next month.  It was great having the glass down overnight and hearing the waves.

Is it true the A/C turns off in the cabin if the IV window is open?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Is it true the A/C turns off in the cabin if the IV window is open?

True.  Also the Captain can lock off the ability to "open" the infinite window (it happened often/lots on our Edge cruise)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, florence11 said:

Hi,

I am looking at booking a cruise to New Zealand in March 24 on Celebrity edge. We are undecided on what is the better cabin to book I do like traditional balconies but the new type do intrigue me, so I am hoping someone can help me come to a decision on which would be better.

Thanks

My personal choice would always be sunset verandah.  Going through the Fjords of South America was unforgetable on that verandah!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Many traditionalists don't like them, but those who are more progressive in their thinking do in fact like them.

Rather insulting to suggest that people who prefer the open feeling of a true balcony are not “progressive in their thinking.” 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Rather insulting to suggest that people who prefer the open feeling of a true balcony are not “progressive in their thinking.” 

Infer what you may but I enjoyed having the glass open and listening to the waves during the night as i dozed off and when i awoke for my bathroom break.  With a traditional balcony, you would need to bungee cord the balcony door open in order to achieve the same effect.

Your upcoming cruise in April on Viking may have the same type of cabins since that is where X got the inspiration.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

...  With a traditional balcony, you would need to bungee cord the balcony door open in order to achieve the same effect. ...

Why?  Every balcony door I've ever had would stay wherever I left it.  I don't see the need for a bungee cord unless the seas were very, very rough and then I probably wouldn't want the door open.

• Like 1

Infer what you may but I enjoyed having the glass open and listening to the waves during the night as i dozed off and when i awoke for my bathroom break.  With a traditional balcony, you would need to bungee cord the balcony door open in order to achieve the same effect.

Your upcoming cruise in April on Viking may have the same type of cabins since that is where X got the inspiration.

No one was criticizing your enjoyment of the Infinite Verandas.  But your comment insulted people who have not enjoyed them.  No reason to be critical of anyone.  It's like someone saying they like chocolate ice cream, and someone saying they like vanilla. 

I would never use a bungee cord to leave a balcony door open at night, as that affects the a/c for the entire row of staterooms.  Utterly selfish.   As for my "upcoming cruise in April on Viking," it's a river cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

As for my "upcoming cruise in April on Viking," it's a river cruise.

I am fully aware that your upcoming Viking cruise is a river cruise.  As I mentioned in my other post, the IV cabins on the E Class got their inspiration from one of the river cruise lines, don't know which one.

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Why?  Every balcony door I've ever had would stay wherever I left it.  I don't see the need for a bungee cord unless the seas were very, very rough and then I probably wouldn't want the door open.

Only had a regular balcony on 5 out of 35 cruises, with the 5 being three on X and two on Carnival.  My recollection is that the doors would not stay open.

5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I am fully aware that your upcoming Viking cruise is a river cruise.  As I mentioned in my other post, the IV cabins on the E Class got their inspiration from one of the river cruise lines, don't know which one.

I rember when Crystal started offering river cruises a few years ago, some of the cabins in their brochures had the Infinite Veranda window design.

12 hours ago, Payd said:

True.  Also the Captain can lock off the ability to "open" the infinite window (it happened often/lots on our Edge cruise)

We never had the window locked on our 7N sailing.  If it was locked it must have been when we were off the ship or out of the cabin.  

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

We never had the window locked on our 7N sailing.  If it was locked it must have been when we were off the ship or out of the cabin.  

Ours was locked for a full port day, two full sailing days and other times in between. Perhaps we were unusually unlucky.

Also perhaps you've been very lucky. Due to our experience it certainl would be a last choice.

22 hours ago, florence11 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Well, an SV will most likely have a longer walk, but if you are intrigued about the IV's, go for it!  I have an SV booked on the same cruise!  Also for the following cruise, hoping for the TP and a suite!  Good luck with your decision.  I love the aft and the wake, enjoying the long walk because I also love to eat and do the gym.

Edited by Lastdance

22 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Progressive?

So we have what ... cabin wokeness now?

Enjoying sitting out on a real balcony is 'un-progressive'.

Casting my vote for tradition, thanks.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Progressive?

If wanting the ability to quietly slip out onto the balcony while DW is sleeping (without turning off the AC), or step out on the balcony without the slow process of waiting for a window to roll down is wrong, then I don't want to be right. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Progressive?

Traditionalists like what they like because they are accustomed to things and they like the familiarity that goes along with it.  Never implied there was anything wrong with it.  

Those who are more progressive in their thinking will sometimes choose something out of the box and this is what the IV cabins are. It all comes down to preference.

Traditionalists like what they like because they are accustomed to things and they like the familiarity that goes along with it.  Never implied there was anything wrong with it.

In this case, you have the motivation wrong.  As DC points out above, there are some definite functional differences for some of us that have nothing at all to do with that to which we are accustomed or familiar, and drive our preferences one way or the other.  We don't all use our cabins in quite the same way.

'Progressive thinking' does by definition typically carry some specific assumptions about its virtues vs the alternatives.  Especially given its context in today's jargon, it's a phrase that should be used carefully.  

We had the IV on Apex in November and really did enjoy it.  It was not so hot that opening the door created an issue and we liked the space added and the ability to have it open to hear the ocean.  We really are not "sit on the balcony for the sun" people so the IV works.

Every person is different.  You will enjoy your cruise I am sure.  Hopefully we get to cruise soon(scheduled for February in IV on Edge).