NCL Reinstates Peace of Mind

ohmark

5 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

I dont understand why you are so interested in the  NCL policy you are going on Oceania and they are two different cruise lines..

Jancruz1

They are owned by the same corporation.  It is a reasonable assumption that they would have similar policies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

I dont understand why you are so interested in the  NCL policy you are going on Oceania and they are two different cruise lines..

Jancruz1

I'm interested in lots of things.   I would be very interested to know the reason why NCLH decided to reinstitute Peace of Mind for the mass market line, but not it's more luxurious sisters.    It may be that parents do not want to subject their children to a cruise vacation at this time, which is really a non consideration for O and RSSC.   Perhaps it's because NCL has more ships and is more flexible in rescheduling Caribbean voyages.  All speculation, of course.  I'm also interested because it would be nice to have the option.

30 minutes ago, RCD1952 said:

They are owned by the same corporation.  It is a reasonable assumption that they would have similar policies.

Not true..

Never has been ...they try to keep them very separate

Jan

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Not true..

Jan

I think you need to be clear, Jan, about what is "not true."  I think you mean it's not true that it can be assumed the lines would maintain similar policies.  I don't think you mean it's not true that the lines are corporate sisters.  Do I have that right?

44 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Not true..

Jan

On a lot of things that makes good business sense, but not on an issue impacting all 3 lines the same way. Gives the cruising public the wrong impression of NCLH.

Can you imagine GM using the same tires on all cars in all divisions. Yet voluntarily doing a recall on Buicks, but making Cadillac owners grovel for replacements. That's what O is doing now.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, marieps said:

I think you need to be clear, Jan, about what is "not true."  I think you mean it's not true that it can be assumed the lines would maintain similar policies.  I don't think you mean it's not true that the lines are corporate sisters.  Do I have that right?

They were something like 'first cousins once removed.'  Oceania and Regent were part of Prestige Cruise Holdings, which NCLH bought in 2014.  But according to wikipedia they are now each a 'wholly owned subsidiary' of NCLH along with Norwegian Cruise Line – and the NCLH website no longer shows any management team from Prestige:  it goes straight from the NCLH corporate level to the three cruise line President/CEOs.  So now I think it is fair to say they are corporate sisters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

The management teams are separate but in the end all report to FDR who is CEO of NCLH . While that doesn't mean every little thing each line does has to be identical, with regard to much of what has transpired during the pandemic each cruise line has had substantially identical policies in response. They each follow the same health and safety protocols developed by the Healthy Sail Panel and in the past the pandemic-related policies for refunds and future cruise credits were substantially identical. The current differences in refund/FCC policies is the first time during the pandemic that policies have diverged so dramatically and it's a bit of a shock .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Not true..

Jan

Obviously they keep them very separate BUT very unfair. Numerous holding companies have multiple corporations under its umbrella but work to maintain fairness throughout. 
This Covid situation does not have a cruise line preference and Oceania should not have a passenger preference….but they do!
Njhorseman is spot on with his response! The dramatic policy divergence is a shock!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marieps said:

sorry you are correct..thanks for making that clear they try not to maintain similar policies..

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1

This NCL policy may be well utilised over the coming few weeks.

NCL have just canceled a cruise due to depart Miami tomorrow.

They also have another ship returning to Miami a week early due to cases amongst the crew.

This follows Cunard about a week ago flying passengers home from Barbados whilst they awaited safety critical replacement crew to enable the ship to return to UK.

The crew situation may become a critical factor to watch over the next few weeks as things develop.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

This NCL policy may be well utilised over the coming few weeks.

NCL have just canceled a cruise due to depart Miami tomorrow.

They also have another ship returning to Miami a week early due to cases amongst the crew.

This follows Cunard about a week ago flying passengers home from Barbados whilst they awaited safety critical replacement crew to enable the ship to return to UK.

The crew situation may become a critical factor to watch over the next few weeks as things develop.

NCL's POM policy and the current cruise cancellations are two different beasts. The NCL cruises which have been cancelled automatically provide a refund to the original form of payment for the cruise, as they must. That is not the same as the POM policy, which offers only FCC when the cruiser elects to cancel a cruise after the final payment due date.

I have news from my TA that O has granted me FCC for Riviera's Feb 7 sailing.  We are moving to Feb 10, 2023.  As the new voyage is 10 days rather than 12 we're moving up to a PH to burning the entire FCC.  Glad we could finally get this done.  Good luck to others still trying.

• Like 3