Excursion Recommendations on Oceania Capetown

Rainbow3fe

On 1/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

OP: would you please post who is serving as the General Manager and as Cruise Director on Nautica right now?

Also, if you don't mind, please add who is the Executive Concierge and who is the Oceania Club Ambassador.

Captain's name would be great as well. But, I am most interested in the folks with whom we'll probably be dealing when we board in Cape Town on February 3.

THANKS in advance! 

Hi,

We love Oceania and are looking forward to our January 2023 Nautica Capetown-Capetown.  

We are excited that the shore excursions list will be available soon.

Does anyone have insightful info about tours from these ports? We don't know whether private tours are a good idea since the interesting experiences are at least 90 minutes away from the port. What's your opinion?

I really would appreciate hearing some ideas. 

Thanks, 

Felice 

Hi,

.     We are excited that the shore excursions list for our Nautica January 2023 cruise will be available soon.

Does anyone have insightful info about tours from these ports? We don't know whether private tours are a good idea since the interesting experiences are at least 90 minutes away from the port. What's your opinion?

Thanks, 

Felice 

18 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Hi,

We love Oceania and are looking forward to our January 2023 Nautica Capetown-Capetown.  

We are excited that the shore excursions list will be available soon.

Thanks, 

Felice 

Really too far in advance to suggest private vs ship tours for Africa. 
My suggestion: take the O Life tours perk and use the strategy I’ve often posted here on CC to choose which allowable ones have the best $$$ value, particularly as related to the 25% YWYW discount for added purchases. Add private tours that make the most sense. Then follow the Covid restrictions decisions throughout this year. Pay attention to the O tours cancel requirements and you could always change to the SBC O Life perk instead (as long as you adhere to any change/penalty deadlines.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Really too far in advance to suggest private vs ship tours for Africa. 
My suggestion: take the O Life tours perk and use the strategy I’ve often posted here on CC to choose which allowable ones have the best $$$ value, particularly as related to the 25% YWYW discount for added purchases. Add private tours that make the most sense. Then follow the Covid restrictions decisions throughout this year. Pay attention to the O tours cancel requirements and you could always change to the SBC O Life perk instead (as long as you adhere to any change/penalty deadlines.

Hi 

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I ever heard about a 25% discount.  Please explain how to get it.

Yes. I know we csn switch to SBC if we can't use the excursions that are offered.

Do you know if we choose the excursion option and the tours we want are designated OS, can we pay the $$ difference?

I wasn't necessarily asking if private tours are better than ship excursions but whether it's advisable to take them. I am concerned that the roads may not be great and there's a chance a vehicle could breakdown on the way back to the ship. In Europe I never worry about not getting back onboard in time but I'm a bit concerned in Africa. Maybe I am being overly cautious and need reassuring. 

I really appreciate your help.  BTW if you're from Flatbush, we are Native Brooklynites who moved out to Rockaway Beach 3 years ago. 😎💥

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Felice 

20 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Hi 

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I ever heard about a 25% discount.  Please explain how to get it.

Yes. I know we csn switch to SBC if we can't use the excursions that are offered.

Do you know if we choose the excursion option and the tours we want are designated OS, can we pay the $$ difference?

I wasn't necessarily asking if private tours are better than ship excursions but whether it's advisable to take them. I am concerned that the roads may not be great and there's a chance a vehicle could breakdown on the way back to the ship. In Europe I never worry about not getting back onboard in time but I'm a bit concerned in Africa. Maybe I am being overly cautious and need reassuring. 

I really appreciate your help.  BTW if you're from Flatbush, we are Native Brooklynites who moved out to Rockaway Beach 3 years ago. 😎💥

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Felice 

Use the search feature on CC and look for Oceania “YWYW”. I’ve posted all the specifics many many (did I say “many”) times. Basically, your cruise’s tours PDF from O will tell you how many per person tours you must book to get 25%. Your O life freebies count toward that minimum which then gets you 25% off the cost of paid choices.

NO - you cannot pay the difference for OS, OE.

O Life is only “basic tours” usually no more than $199.

Take the time to do the search and my posts will have very specific instructions that will save you $$$.

Yes, raised in two Brooklyn neighborhoods: Flatbush and Red Hook (now the way-too-chic Carroll Gardens). Midwood HS and Brooklyn College. Summer?: Manhattan Beach in HS and Neponsit (Rockaway) in College. 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Use the search feature on CC and look for Oceania “YWYW”. I’ve posted all the specifics many many (did I say “many”) times. Basically, your cruise’s tours PDF from O will tell you how many per person tours you must book to get 25%. Your O life freebies count toward that minimum which then gets you 25% off the cost of paid choices.

NO - you cannot pay the difference for OS, OE.

O Life is only “basic tours” usually no more than $199.

Take the time to do the search and my posts will have very specific instructions that will save you $$$.

Yes, raised in two Brooklyn neighborhoods: Flatbush and Red Hook (now the way-too-chic Carroll Gardens). Midwood HS and Brooklyn College. Summer?: Manhattan Beach in HS and Neponsit (Rockaway) in College. 

Thanks again.  I definitely will look at those posts. I appreciate your explaining the differences between the tour excursion designations. For Africa, I may have to pay for the excursions we really want to do. 

Wow! Certainly our neighborhoods. I went to Lincoln and Brooklyn College but both of our children went to Midwood. (walking distance from our house)

Our daughter and her husband just sold their condo in Cobble Hill. 

Looking forward to hearing from you again

Felice 

We were on the Nautica on a Capetown  to Singapore  cruise and stopped at several ports in South Africa. We used a private guide for the extra days we spent before the cruise.   It's too early to book anything  but you can spend time researching.

Robbin Island  is a popular day trip....rather than paying the Oceania price, many people book the tour directly with Robbin Island...they took Uber to the tour meeting place (nearby). The same boat takes everyone to the island and then the island people run the tour. 

There are also wonderful wineries around Capetown.

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We were on the Nautica on a Capetown  to Singapore  cruise and stopped at several ports in South Africa. We used a private guide for the extra days we spent before the cruise.   It's too early to book anything  but you can spend time researching.

Robbin Island  is a popular day trip....rather than paying the Oceania price, many people book the tour directly with Robbin Island...they took Uber to the tour meeting place (nearby). The same boat takes everyone to the island and then the island people run the tour. 

There are also wonderful wineries around Capetown.

Hi 

Thanks for the info. We spent a week in Capetown a few years ago and did enjoy wineries as well as wonderful sightseeing.  

We are interested in visiting a game preserve for 3 or 4 nights after the cruise and also making the most of the game drives and private preserves that the ship offers.

Sadly almost all of the great ship excursions are designated OS. If we book more than 4 each, can we get the 25% discount? Guess we will have to take SBC on this cruise.

Anyone go to any of these parks??

Thanks  

Felice 

2 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Hi 

Thanks for the info. We spent a week in Capetown a few years ago and did enjoy wineries as well as wonderful sightseeing.  

We are interested in visiting a game preserve for 3 or 4 nights after the cruise and also making the most of the game drives and private preserves that the ship offers.

Sadly almost all of the great ship excursions are designated OS. If we book more than 4 each, can we get the 25% discount? Guess we will have to take SBC on this cruise.

Anyone go to any of these parks??

Thanks  

Felice 

Your O Life tours perks are per cabin.

THE YWYW minimum (on your tours PDF first page) is per person. So 8 O Life tours perk allows 4 per person. If the YWYW minimum is stated as 8, you’ll each already have four of the  8 per person tour requirement done. Add four each OS/OE/etc $200+ tours to qualify for YWYW and the paid ones are discounted 25%.

If it's offered, do not waste your time with Aquila "Private Game Reserve". We did it as an included tour with our post cruise stay and yes, you'll see the Big 5 but in a totally unnatural environment. Looks like they offer a post cruise trips to Chobe/ Vic Falls or Kruger which you could do on your own for a lot less $$$ and customize it for your interests. JMHO

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

So 8 O Life tours perk allows 4 per person. If the YWYW minimum is stated as 8, you’ll each already have four of the  8 per person tour requirement done. Add four each OS/OE/etc $200+ tours to qualify for YWYW and the paid ones are discounted 25%.

1. Do the  O Life tours need to be split evenly between the 2 persons in the cabin ?

2. Do the additional YWYW (YWC) tours also need to be split evenly ?

Using your example figures above, could 1 person do 10 and the other person do 6 tours and both people still qualify for the 25 % ?

Thanks.

Edited by Tranquility Base

6 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

1. Do the  O Life tours need to be split evenly between the 2 persons in the cabin ?

2. Do the additional YWYW (YWC) tours also need to be split evenly ?

Using your example figures above, could 1 person do 10 and the other person do 6 tours and both people still qualify for the 25 % ?

Thanks.

You can split the O Life tours unevenly. Not sure about the YWYW. You can call O and ask. 
Also, the O tours cart is very intuitive and will tell you at the top of the page how many more tours you need for the cabin to meet the YWYW minimum. It also assigns your “free tours” to the most expensive of the allowable O Life ones you pick. Note however that in the final cart: it shows list prices but, if you check the YWYW box, it’ll total using the 25% off.

• Thanks 1

We were booked on the 2020 version of this cruise, which obviously did not happen.  Instead, we pushed the booking to a 2022 Caribbean cruise.  However, we could not get Africa out of our mind, so we booked a land tour to Kenya last November to satisfy our dreams of Africa.

I subsequently looked at the ship tours offered on this voyage and cannot imagine how they could compare favourably with our land tour experience.  As an example, a 90 minute drive from airstrip to lodge took 3 hours so we could capitalize on animal viewing opportunities.  Our guide kept in touch with the lodge and our freshly prepared lunch was waiting for us when we eventually arrived.  Game viewing is highly unpredictable and the rigidity of a ship’s tour is not conducive to seeing much less observing behaviour.

A large group tour is also not conducive to seeing what you want to see.  We were watching a pride of lions along with a couple of other groups.  I saw 2 bull elephants fighting, which interested us but obviously not the other groups.  Our guide was happy to let us observe to our hearts content while the other groups chased their own interests. 

As far as my experience relates to yours, I suggest that you spend top dollar on the available tours and supplement with a pre- or post-cruise tour without the confines inherent in time limited day trips if time and finances permit. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

If it's offered, do not waste your time with Aquila "Private Game Reserve". We did it as an included tour with our post cruise stay and yes, you'll see the Big 5 but in a totally unnatural environment. Looks like they offer a post cruise trips to Chobe/ Vic Falls or Kruger which you could do on your own for a lot less $$$ and customize it for your interests. JMHO

Thanks for letting me know about Aquila. After doing research, many agree with you that it's a Zoo environment.  We've been to both Chobe and Victoria Falls. Sadly, friends who live there said it will be rainy season in Kruger. 

Stay safe, 

Felice 

2 hours ago, RPen63 said:

We were booked on the 2020 version of this cruise, which obviously did not happen.  Instead, we pushed the booking to a 2022 Caribbean cruise.  However, we could not get Africa out of our mind, so we booked a land tour to Kenya last November to satisfy our dreams of Africa.

I subsequently looked at the ship tours offered on this voyage and cannot imagine how they could compare favourably with our land tour experience.  As an example, a 90 minute drive from airstrip to lodge took 3 hours so we could capitalize on animal viewing opportunities.  Our guide kept in touch with the lodge and our freshly prepared lunch was waiting for us when we eventually arrived.  Game viewing is highly unpredictable and the rigidity of a ship’s tour is not conducive to seeing much less observing behaviour.

A large group tour is also not conducive to seeing what you want to see.  We were watching a pride of lions along with a couple of other groups.  I saw 2 bull elephants fighting, which interested us but obviously not the other groups.  Our guide was happy to let us observe to our hearts content while the other groups chased their own interests. 

As far as my experience relates to yours, I suggest that you spend top dollar on the available tours and supplement with a pre- or post-cruise tour without the confines inherent in time limited day trips if time and finances permit. 

Hi,

I totally appreciate your candor.  In 2015 we did an awesome 3 week safari through Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.  It was more exciting than we could imagine.  We subsequently canceled BTB safaris for Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda  for 2020 and then 2021. Not knowing how Africa will recover from Covid,  we didn't rebook. 

We booked the Oceania Capetown to Capetown just to " get back to Africa at least one more time". We will extend our trip and are researching a private tour from Capetown. Kruger is in the rainy season so that's out. Kenya and Tanzania will have to wait until.2024.

I really appreciate your help. 

Felice 

We spent a few days in Cape Town at the end of a longer land-based trip to the country.

We didnt do Robben Island but folk we chatted to said it was interesting. We did go up Table Mountain and would recommend it, jut for the views. We also went on the "hop on, hop off" bus which was an  excellent  way of getting an overview of the city and , of course, a good way of seeing more of some of the sights ( we are keen gardeneres so very much enjoyed a couple of hours wandering round the Botanical Gardens).

But the most memorable thing was we booked a private tour of one of the townships. Can't recall the name of the company as the hotel booked it for us. Yes, many people live in converted shipping containers. We got to visit a school, a small and very basic hotel (some tourists do choose to stay in the township). There was also a shebeen, where you were invited to have a beer with the locals (no, I wouldnt have gone in there on my own) and a traditional healer. We were also given a general drive round the area and an accompanied  walk. The final stop was at the Apartheid Museum in the infamous District 6.

If you only do one thing,  do the township tour. You'll come away with more understanding of the country than anything else you do in the city.

• Thanks 1

Enjoy your upcoming trip to Capetown!  You can easily book a tour independently and feel safe.  

Having been there several times I would recommend traveling south of Capetown down the Cape Pennisula where you can visit an ostrich farm, see African penguins in their natural habitat and more. The scenery is breathtaking.  Visit Tripadvisor.com and you can find more information along with tour operators.  If you feel especially adventurous, I highly suggest renting a car and wandering down that same direction.  The drive is easy and so enjoyable with many wonderful places to explore.    Many  times, rental car companies have offices within walking distance of the port.

Have fun planning!

• Thanks 1

Why not fly to Windhoek after the cruise and do a safari in Namibia? I was there this past June 2021 for a 10 day private safari. It was wonderful. Namibia's landscapes are so different than the other African countries, a very unique and special place. Namibia safaris are very reasonably priced compared to kenya or Tanzania.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, RPen63 said:

Hi,

I appreciate your advice. My concerns are that if we book private excursions at these ports, we can possibly be delayed getting back to the ship. ( Flat tire, vehicle breakdown or other unexpected problem) I know that if we are on a ship's excursion, the ship must wait for us if there are mitigating circumstances. 

Are any of the ship's excursions worthwhile? The OS ones are costly and are the only ones that sound exciting. I am so sad. 

I really would like to know if anyone HAS USED a private company at these ports. In all European ports, there are great suggestions about reliable tour operators.  Also, in those ports it's easy enough to get a taxi in an emergency. 

We are planning to go on a short Safari near Capetown after the cruise. This will be expensive but isn't much as far as animal viewing. 

We have booked a Kenya and Tanzania Safari for late 2024 but wanted to squeeze in  this cruise just in case Covid or health issues prevent us from going. 

Thanks again  

Felice 

11 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

I know that if we are on a ship's excursion, the ship must wait for us if there are mitigating circumstances. 

Sounds like you “drank the Kool-Aid” (or misunderstood the Ticket Contract and/or T&Cs for your ship excursions).

Though cruise ships will most often make every reasonable attempt to wait for, at least, their own delayed/late tours return, the reality is that there will be those occasions when “time and tide (or even weather et al.) wait for no man.”  As the old saying goes (for a variety of situations): “When you gotta go, you gotta go.” And, yes, it does happen.

What is the more realistic cruise line  “guarantee” is that if your ship-sponsored tour misses the ship’s departure, the company will arrange for your travel expenses to meet the ship at the next port.   (Not what you want to hear on the tour day that will be followed by four sea days!

FWIW: This is no different than the  misassumption by folks who buy air tix from cruise lines that “the ship will wait for us if the plane is delayed.” Really? Perhaps if it’s a charter with 100 of their passengers, it might work.  But , don’t hold your breath if it’s just  the two (or eight) of you. As any cruise line will tell you: “We just sell you the air tix and assist with tix changes. Anything else, you’ll need to deal with the airline.”

BTW: This is why it is lunacy to not plan an embarkation city arrival buffer of at least a night or two (for all of the obvious reasons).

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sounds like you “drank the Kool-Aid” (or misunderstood the Ticket Contract and/or T&Cs for your ship excursions).

Though cruise ships will most often make every reasonable attempt to wait for, at least, their own delayed/late tours return, the reality is that there will be those occasions when “time and tide (or even weather et al.) wait for no man.”  As the old saying goes (for a variety of situations): “When you gotta go, you gotta go.” And, yes, it does happen.

What is the more realistic cruise line  “guarantee” is that if your ship-sponsored tour misses the ship’s departure, the company will arrange for your travel expenses to meet the ship at the next port.   (Not what you want to hear on the tour day that will be followed by four sea days!

Do you know of any actual experiences of this happening? 

Even taking your post at face value, there is still a better guarantee from a ship excursion that a private one.  Having been delayed at least twice to the point that we were 'passenger zero' with the gangway pulled up as soon as our cards were scanned, I can definitely appreciate the concern about being left behind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even taking your post at face value, there is still a better guarantee from a ship excursion that a private one.  Having been delayed at least twice to the point that we were 'passenger zero' with the gangway pulled up as soon as our cards were scanned, I can definitely appreciate the concern about being left behind.

Though uncommon, there can be a harmonic convergence of circumstances that prevent the ship from waiting much longer than whatever buffer has been set aside  (i.e., tide, weather, port traffic, etc). And that can be compounded by problems ashore with the tour itself (e.g., accidents, public safety emergency, disaster, etc).

And that is why, even though a cruise line may “promise to get you back to the ship,” there’s a clarifying CYA statement to be found somewhere in their documentation. For a perfect example, let’s look at Royal Caribbean’s “promise”:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-the-ship-wait-for-guests-on-a-shore-excursion

45 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though uncommon, there can be a harmonic convergence of circumstances that prevent the ship from waiting much longer than whatever buffer has been set aside  (i.e., tide, weather, port traffic, etc). And that can be compounded by problems ashore with the tour itself (e.g., accidents, public safety emergency, disaster, etc).

And that is why, even though a cruise line may “promise to get you back to the ship,” there’s a clarifying CYA statement to be found somewhere in their documentation. For a perfect example, let’s look at Royal Caribbean’s “promise”:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-the-ship-wait-for-guests-on-a-shore-excursion

Same question, not answered.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Same question, not answered.

I have come close to that situation on an O ship quite a few years ago in Central America. I cannot remember the specific port. But, there were both significant tide and traffic issues ticking the buffer clock down while a small bus load of one O tour was caught on the other side of a major fire crossing the main (only) passable road back to the port.

As we watched the not-too-distant blaze, an announcement was finally made that the ship could wait no longer than another approx. half hour and we were reassured that the port agent was already working on arrangements for the folks who might get stuck ashore.
Fortunately, the fire was finally brought under control and the “pier runner” bus did make it back.

• Thanks 1