Koningsdam January 2-9

jer_l

We boarded the Koningsdam yesterday to celebrate birthday #70. Embarkation was very uneventful. We saw the Koningsdam from our hotel balcony early in the morning and walked over just after 11 even though boarding for group A was to begin at 1 pm. After checking our baggage, we got in line behind about 30 people. By 11:30 we were on our way. Putting everything on the Navigator app, including your photo, really expedites boarding. We sailed through the boarding process while many others were stuck at various stations and arrived at the final waiting area where only 4 others were waiting. After a short wait, they began boarding and we were eating sushi in the lido by noon. While eating they announced 5hat the stateroom were ready so we headed there where we found flowers and a cupcake from our kids for my birthday, and appetizers and a ship model from one of our sons and his family as a belated Christmas gift. We headed to a bar, got a couple glasses of wine, and headed back to enjoy the appetizers and cupcake. 

sail away was wonderful with great weather and a beautiful sunset as we reached Point Loma. 

B9A41BBB-5616-47C1-976F-4925A4B63E3A.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Since my birthday was on embarkation day, we had booked the Pinnacle Grill for a 7:30 dinner. Very few were there and by the time we finished we were the only ones left. 
for those who love food pics we shared the clothesline bacon, I had crab cakes, rib eye, and soufflé. My DW had the shrimp cocktail, petite filet, and key lime pie. They also brought a mouse cake for my birthday. I took one bite and took Ed the rest to our cabin where it sits in the fridge. It will make a nice afternoon snack with my Earl Grey tea. 

0CBB7B4F-3B29-46CC-9C7D-1DDA96B5F2D8.jpeg

599E419B-CBF6-402A-B1BC-402E83B16BD1.jpeg

EA94AF97-F736-4D25-936E-D96809B45B9B.jpeg

E3132FCA-96D5-43B7-8FFC-D01323BB184D.jpeg

5D87AEA8-B3B2-451B-8AF5-2EB6033A5361.jpeg

46FCF4C8-976F-40A7-8AFD-B16C57F37C85.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, jer_l said:

We boarded the Koningsdam yesterday to celebrate birthday #70. Embarkation was very uneventful. We saw the Koningsdam from our hotel balcony early in the morning and walked over just after 11 even though boarding for group A was to begin at 1 pm. After checking our baggage, we got in line behind about 30 people. By 11:30 we were on our way. Putting everything on the Navigator app, including your photo, really expedites boarding. We sailed through the boarding process while many others were stuck at various stations and arrived at the final waiting area where only 4 others were waiting. After a short wait, they began boarding and we were eating sushi in the lido by noon. While eating they announced 5hat the stateroom were ready so we headed there where we found flowers and a cupcake from our kids for my birthday, and appetizers and a ship model from one of our sons and his family as a belated Christmas gift. We headed to a bar, got a couple glasses of wine, and headed back to enjoy the appetizers and cupcake. 

sail away was wonderful with great weather and a beautiful sunset as we reached Point Loma. 

B9A41BBB-5616-47C1-976F-4925A4B63E3A.jpeg

Very  happy  birthday  and  many  more.

Jim.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, esimon said:

can you define -"putting everything on your navigator app"    I have the app - what do I "put" on it. 

we sail on 2/5   -

Your boarding pass will be there. At some point there will be the option to add a recent photo. I guess that’s really about it,  it I also had my Covid test results on my phone ready to go. The only non-electronics I needed were may vaccine records and my passport. I recently bought a passport cover that has a place to put your vaccine card which also saved time.  

having the phone and the passport/ vaccine record ready to go made the process easier and faster than pre Covid.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Last night was Formal night. I was definitely in in the minority with a tuxedo, but that’s ok. We enjoy dressing formal. Since we were at Pinnacle 5e first night, this was our first time in the dining room. We had late seating and were quite surprised at how few people were there.

pour waiter told us that the size of the crew is geared for 1,000-1,200 passengers. They were stretched a little thin last week with 1,600; however, this week there are only 800 passengers on board. Because there are few passengers, he also told us that we can come to the dining room for dinner at any time as there is no one at our table for early seating. 
dDinner was very good. I had patiala sole and my DW had the risotto. Both of these were excellent.

Today we will be in Cabo. We will be staying on the ship today since we have been here often. 

• Like 3

Today we are in Mazatlan. We got off the ship around 8:30 this morning and took a pulmonia ($6) to Plaza Machado in Old Town.  There is an a family artisan shop just off the plaza on the ope4a house side called Nidart which we visit each time we are here. My DW bought me a leather mask (only $40 US) as a birthday gift which we will hang with the other six we has purchased on past trips. This gallery closed down for 8 months so we were glad they are once again open. 
From there we walked to the Malecon and then back to the cathedral. From there we walked back to the ship which is less than a mile from the cathedral. It was getting warm so we were glad we chose to go in the morning. 

749C0283-A5B9-4167-8493-107A01D5E9CA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 5:11 PM, esimon said:

can you define -"putting everything on your navigator app"    I have the app - what do I "put" on it. 

we sail on 2/5   -

Boarding pass, dinner reservations, shore excursion reservations and tickets, itinerary, billing statement, some room service orders (excl breakfast), some shipboard communications (there is a LOT less paper dropped into your mailbox) to name a few things.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, GTVCRUISER said:

Do they still give you the Mariner Cocktail coupon in your cabin ?  Thank You 

We did receive the Cocktail coupon in our cabin. Since we have a beverage package we have not used it. 

We are also on board this cruise,  we are calling it the ghost cruise!!  No lines anywhere! In a retreat cabana.  In Cano we did an excellent sailing excursion, in Matzalan did an excursion to stone island with lunch and in PV sent to an all inclusive resort.
we have seen room stewards much more than other cruise,. People are complying with masks and it hasn’t hampered our experience at all.  4th floor is closed off for Covid quarantine but have t heard one way or another,  all activities are going on.  So glad we decided to come and enjoy our selves. Ate in Tamirand restaurant for first time, very good!  No problem getting reservations wherever you want to eat or at any time you want!  Going to Pinnacle grill Saturday night.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, barking16 said:

4th floor is closed off for Covid quarantine but have t heard one way or another,  all activities are going on.  

We are currently on the Zuiderdam, and the fourth deck and part of the sixth are closed for quarantine here. I count approximately 225 cabins in those areas. The ship is so empty that they aren't missed.

24 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

We are currently on the Zuiderdam, and the fourth deck and part of the sixth are closed for quarantine here. I count approximately 225 cabins in those areas. The ship is so empty that they aren't missed.

Is the entire 4th floor of the Zuiderdam closed for quarantine including the aft wrap Neptune cabins and those aft verandas in that area?