Onboard Riviera Jan. 4

Nymich

Did anyone actually get off the ship in St Thomas?  If not, why even bother to stop there?  According to Cruise Mapper, the ship docked at 8am and left at 11am.  So, when you add in all the work it takes to dock, clear Customs and all the rest, I don't see how anyone could have left the ship.

Also, Puerto Plata had the Sky Princess there, so what weather problem caused Riviera to pass it by?  

Edited by cruisead

1 hour ago, cruisead said:

Did anyone actually get off the ship in St Thomas?  If not, why even bother to stop there?  According to Cruise Mapper, the ship docked at 8am and left at 11am.  So, when you add in all the work it takes to dock, clear Customs and all the rest, I don't see how anyone could have left the ship.

Also, Puerto Plata had the Sky Princess there, so what weather problem caused Riviera to pass it by?  

We were two hours late to STT due to a med evac done at St Maarten.

We departed at 12 noon.

We got off a few and stretched our legs some.

Wind and Current so Captain did not go into PP.  Princess had tried twice and failed and we had tried twice and failed.  Capt said it was not safe enough.  If Princess got in eventually..... good for them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

I think Oceania could give us all some piece of mind but at least letting us know that their preference would be to allow quarantined passenger to stay in the cabin they booked, if at all possible. I understand that circumstances may change but a statement of their preferred intention would be very welcome.  We are booked on the Jan 28th sailing and have been wavering back and forth about cancelling. Even though it seems that a number of people have been able to cancel and get future cruise credits, it very likely means that the cruise you apply the credits to will e more expensive. So for us the choice is a) cancel and receive FCCs (hopefully), foregoing  a trip we’ve been pining for and pay more to replace it or B) risk a positive test and a quarantine. Hence knowing as much as possible about quarantine is a key decision point.

+1

I appreciate so much Nymich for you giving us current info on the every quickly changing environment.  Even though I'm not going on the Riviera, I believe reading everything you have to say applies to the cruise line, Oceania so can be applied to our ship.  We were sailing on the Sirena, leaving Panama City on Feb 1st, but they switched us over to the Marina.  I've been comparing ships and I think it was because the Marina is twice as large and I think the Sirena was sold to capacity.    Since they had the Marina available because of the SA cancellations, they got the bigger ship to allow for social distancing and a more like 50% occupancy.  Am I imagining this?  If so, good on Oceania in protecting their passengers.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, annaproblemma said:

I appreciate so much Nymich for you giving us current info on the every quickly changing environment.  Even though I'm not going on the Riviera, I believe reading everything you have to say applies to the cruise line, Oceania so can be applied to our ship.  We were sailing on the Sirena, leaving Panama City on Feb 1st, but they switched us over to the Marina.  I've been comparing ships and I think it was because the Marina is twice as large and I think the Sirena was sold to capacity.    Since they had the Marina available because of the SA cancellations, they got the bigger ship to allow for social distancing and a more like 50% occupancy.  Am I imagining this?  If so, good on Oceania in protecting their passengers.  

You will love the marina! I’ve been on both the marina and its sister ship Riviera, and both are fabulous. I have a transatlantic Aruba to Lisbon booked in spring 2023, and I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to get to know an R ship!

• Like 1

Thank you once again for your helpful postings. I truly feel that due to your efforts I vicariously was able to enjoy a taste of the Riviera cruise we cancelled last week which embarks in two days. I hope that other frequent posters on this Oceania board continue keeping us informed. 

Just curious: did you get off Riviera and go anywhere when the ship stopped in St. Maarten and Barbados? I recall you mentioning the delights of the private beach in the Bahamas but I do not recall those other two port stops. As a Jersey Shore native and beach enthusiast, I love to read about beach experiences for future planning. Also, reading about other sightseeing experiences, such as the delightful chocolate factory experience Lyn (LHT28) shared with us on Barbados several years ago. I clearly understand that your thread really is about the onboard experience right now so please pardon my insatiable curiosity.

One of my regrets regarding our cancellation is that I will not be able to thank you in person for your generosity in making these posts. Safe travels, Nymich!

Edited by CintiPam

32 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Thank you once again for your helpful postings. I truly feel that due to your efforts I vicariously was able to enjoy a taste of the Riviera cruise we cancelled last week which embarks in two days. I hope that other frequent posters on this Oceania board continue keeping us informed. 

Just curious: did you get off Riviera and go anywhere when the ship stopped in St. Maarten and Barbados? I recall you mentioning the delights of the private beach in the Bahamas but I do not recall those other two port stops. As a Jersey Shore native and beach enthusiast, I love to read about beach experiences for future planning. Also, reading about other sightseeing experiences, such as the delightful chocolate factory experience Lyn (LHT28) shared with us on Barbados several years ago. I clearly understand that your thread really is about the onboard experience right now so please pardon my insatiable curiosity.

One of my regrets regarding our cancellation is that I will not be able to thank you in person for your generosity in making these posts. Safe travels, Nymich!

I believe you will be able to thank Nymich in person.  I think he's continuing on with the 14th cruise.

1 hour ago, annaproblemma said:

You may be right about the Marina.  I was told today they would like things as close to 50% capacity for now.

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

We did not do anything except some shopping in both ports.  We have been to both quite a few times.  Ty for the kind comments.  It just seemed perfect with the lack of info on land to give some real time stuff.

Tomorrow we test again in Toscana for our 2nd leg.

Friday we meet at 9:15 in Red Ginger for Customs.  We have the same cabin so easy peasey when we come back on.

Port of Miami has a nice shuttle that will take us over to Bayshore if we want. We did that two years ago and it was fun.  We may do that again or pass on that and come back on as soon as we can for the B2B lunch in the GDR.

Due to Covid they have stopped getting the Crew onstage the last night. Tonight after the show they did a short pre recorded clip of the Crew.

In its place the Belissimo String Quartet will be doing a Rock Concert.  Yes....a Rock Concert.

I talked to a few of them today and the set includes Zeppelin, Guns and Roses and AC/DC as well as others.

• Like 1

I wish I had a couple pair of those socks. I've had some in the past, really liked them. I don't think I know the cinch bag, the rest we've got. 

Thanks for your reporting, enjoy your time off on the next cruise. 

Nymich, good morning.  See you tomorrow.  It looks like the Regent is current at the spot that we may dock.

Thank you for providing all these information.  It has been very helpful during these difficult times.  You will be a tough act to follow.

I will buy you a drink during the next two weeks.

What have you done with the drink package?  Did pick the Select Drink package as you O’Life option?  Did you upgrade?  Just wondering what you did and what you would recommend.  Are you pleased with your choice?

Thanks