just off of Mardi Gras- wow

stellarose

so I just got off of MG.  a full review coming. but let me tell you - cruising during covid was interesting but had a blast.  this vacation was surely well deserved for a teacher. 

so as I work on the review- ask any questions you may have. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

While I'm sure you'll have this in your review, how about your top 3 "likes" and top 3 "dis-likes" with Carnival or the M.G. (not the ports themselves)?

good

1. bolt- got to try it once

2. alchemy bar is always a hit

3. how spacious serenity area was

not so good:

1. walking track very small and tight

2. not a great deal of vegetarian options at lunch

3. waiting every night, at least 40 minutes, to get into the comedy club. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have they expanded the late-night dining options after 10 pm yet?    Anything besides pizza, Swirls and upcharge room-service? 

That was the single biggest negative takeaway I had from Mardi Gras.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
16 minutes ago, stellarose said:

capacity was 83% 

no late night options after 10

Huh, Nothing after ten? 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:56 AM, BasicSailor said:

Huh, Nothing after ten? 

Bars are open 'til late, as normal.  

Sushi ($) is open until 11 pm.  

Room-service ($) is open 24 hours.  

Pizzeria del Capitano (free) is open 24 hours.  

But, that's ALL after 10 pm.   Even the Piazza Deli closes at 10pm, vs. the 11 pm closing on every other ship in the fleet.   It's embarrassing.  

So, if you're sailing on Mardi Gras, which easily has the most dining options of any ship in Carnival's fleet (and indeed, most fleets), you'd better lay in a supply of sammiches and snacks before 10 pm, i.e., the start of the Dark Times on Mardi Gras.  😮  

• Like 1

The food hours after 10 pm don't sound much different from other Carnival ships, except the deli closing at 10 instead of 11. It doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Then again, I'm unlikely to eat after 10 pm. And in olden times when I was out late somewhere and looking to eat, pizza was what I was usually looking for anyway, and they have that.

Looking forward to the full review - a few quick questions, we are sailing on Saturday

How were the protocols, was embarkation organized

Was it difficult getting on/off the ship at ports

Was the serenity area packed

Did you do any specialty restaurants

Thanks 🙂

41 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Is there not a "late night snacks" buffet with the little chicken sandwiches, chips, cookies, etc?

Nope. Nothing. Everything but pizza is closed after 10pm.

I brought tupperware containers and ziploc bags with the plan to grab food before things closed and sticking them in my fridge.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Nope. Nothing. Everything but pizza is closed after 10pm.

I brought tupperware containers and ziploc bags with the plan to grab food before things closed and sticking them in my fridge.

Considering how long the pizza lines can be, it's really sad that Carnival still isn't expanding their late-night options. Back when room service was still free it wasn't a big deal, just call in a few BLTs or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dst said:

Looking forward to the full review - a few quick questions, we are sailing on Saturday

How were the protocols, was embarkation organized

Was it difficult getting on/off the ship at ports

Was the serenity area packed

Did you do any specialty restaurants

Thanks 🙂

I will give my perspective. We were on the Jan.2-8 sailing. Embarkation was organized.  I like it that you can unload your car as you enter the parking deck. Once inside the building, we had about an hour wait, getting there at 11:30, with 12:00 boarding, before processing.  Once that happened, we moved very fast. Checked passports, vaccine cards, results of tesing. I didn't see anyone without masks.  Carnival had them to pass out, if needed. 

Itinerary did not change for us, other than a late arrival at Nassau. We did not get off at Nassau. 

Puerto Plata, did an excursion, followed by Grand Turk, which was a nice beach stop.  Enjoyed margs at Margaritaville.  There were no issues getting on or off the ship at ports. 

Lots of options for seating in Serenity, not packed while we were there.  It was very windy.  Nice salad bar in that area.  Hot tub was crowded.

We did the steakhouse.  Food was awesome.  I would highly recommend.

• Like 4

I agree with the above....the lack of late night food is puzzling.  No more late night snacks on the Lido and the deli closed earlier that it does on the rest of the fleet.  There were two nights around 11pm the line for pizza nearly made it down the hallway approaching guest services, at least 80 people in line.  It had to be a 30 minute wait.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

The food hours after 10 pm don't sound much different from other Carnival ships, except the deli closing at 10 instead of 11. It doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Then again, I'm unlikely to eat after 10 pm. And in olden times when I was out late somewhere and looking to eat, pizza was what I was usually looking for anyway, and they have that.

It's a big deal for people who are out and about after 10 or 11 pm.  

There is NO "late night snacks" option on the Lido buffet, which every other ship in the fleet has.  

12 hours ago, mz-s said:

Is there not a "late night snacks" buffet with the little chicken sandwiches, chips, cookies, etc?

No, and there is not an expanded late-night menu at the pizza place either.  Other ships have had this option, called "Pizza Pirate Plus."     Included lasagna and a rotating choice of three Italian sandwiches.

Truly embarrassing for the fleet's current flagship. 

• Like 2