**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

11 hours ago, TX_Loves2Cruise said:

Cruising on the Spirit on May 3, Carnival just changed the regulations for the Covid test requirements on April 15. Since we are stopping in Canada, even though we are fully vaccinated and boosted....we now have to take the Covid test 48 hours out? Just making sure that I read this correctly because I don't want to miss the ship.

We are literally in the "same boat". We cruise on the Splendor on May 2 and also are fully vaccinated and boosted with a stop in Canada. We are flying into Seattle a day early so we were hoping to test 3 days out and get it taken care of before we fly out of St. Louis. We are planning on taking the NAAT rapid test from Walgreens.

Morning I’m sure this has been answered but I figured I would ask. 

my family is departing Sunday. We are all vaccinated and have had the booster. I know we can test 72 hours (Thursday). Does it matter what time? Can we take our test at 7:30AM on Thursday to get them done or do we have to wait until the 72 hour mark? And if we have to wait is it our boarding time? The setting sale time?

thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, jdevine said:

Morning I’m sure this has been answered but I figured I would ask. 

my family is departing Sunday. We are all vaccinated and have had the booster. I know we can test 72 hours (Thursday). Does it matter what time? Can we take our test at 7:30AM on Thursday to get them done or do we have to wait until the 72 hour mark? And if we have to wait is it our boarding time? The setting sale time?

thanks in advance

Time doesn't matter, only days.  You can test just after midnight if you want.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:47 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

Documentation of Recovery consists of the positive Covid test from at least 10 days before but less than 90 days according to Carnival's FAQs:

Documentation of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of the paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago).

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

So from that It sounds like you do not need a note from your doctor. Though it also says in the Guest Protocols for Covid-19:

...present documentation of recovery from COVID-19 from their healthcare provider. Please visit our COVID-19 FAQs for complete information.

That says "healthcare provider" not doctor, but either way it doesn't seem the same as in the FAQ's. However it does refer to to the FAQs for a definitive answer, and as I quoted above the FAQs just say the documentation of recovery is just the old positive test. Perhaps they consider the certified laboratory to be a "healthcare provider"?

I have been trying to figure this out. I have Covid now and have a cruise scheduled for June 20th. I have the positive test results and from what I read, thought that was all that would be needed along with my attestation that I am symptom free at the time of the cruise. 
I do not have a primary care doctor that I see regularly to get a letter from. It may be easier to just test 3 days before the cruise. 
All this time and everything is still so confusing.

Hello all, well thinking of booking a cruise for October but am worried about the covid testing.   I am fully vaxxed and boosted.   

Has anyone heard if they plan to do away with testing?    Sorry if this has been asked I have been away from the boards for .....oh about 2 and a bit years  🙂    I was the 2nd last cruise out of Long Beach on Panama which we had to stay on a extra day.

Anxious to get back out there but just wondering if anyone heard if they will ever drop the pre-cruise test?

Thank you

Kim

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeNKim said:

Hello all, well thinking of booking a cruise for October but am worried about the covid testing.   I am fully vaxxed and boosted.   

Has anyone heard if they plan to do away with testing?    Sorry if this has been asked I have been away from the boards for .....oh about 2 and a bit years  🙂    I was the 2nd last cruise out of Long Beach on Panama which we had to stay on a extra day.

Anxious to get back out there but just wondering if anyone heard if they will ever drop the pre-cruise test?

Thank you

Kim

It's anyone's guess. I'd book it and see what happens. Have you ever had an antigen test? They're MUCH easier than they were early on (when people were trying to probe your brains with the swabs). You can even use (proctored) home tests.

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's anyone's guess. I'd book it and see what happens. Have you ever had an antigen test? They're MUCH easier than they were early on (when people were trying to probe your brains with the swabs). You can even use (proctored) home tests.

Tom

Thank you Tom.  I was just wondering if there was any gossip out there since I really haven't been around much lately.

Yes, I have had many of the antigen tests just would have to find a place that still does them but I guess there are lots around.

Do you know....I will admit I haven't looked yet.   What happens if you are positive?  I figure you can't cruise but do you get a cruise credit or your money back?

Thank you for your help.

Kim

1 hour ago, MikeNKim said:

Thank you Tom.  I was just wondering if there was any gossip out there since I really haven't been around much lately.

Just speculation - everyone is an expert or has a crystal ball!  

Yes, I have had many of the antigen tests just would have to find a place that still does them but I guess there are lots around.

We did the walk-in approach to tests for a few cruises. But that was a hassle and then a couple months ago they started charging us a copay (I guess the $180 or so my insurance company was paying them wasn't enough return on their $10 test kit). So, we purchased at home (proctored - paid for with the test) tests from OPTUM STORE. Easy peasy, and you don't have to wait around anywhere with potentially infected people (more so than the general public).

Do you know....I will admit I haven't looked yet.   What happens if you are positive?  I figure you can't cruise but do you get a cruise credit or your money back?

Thank you for your help.

Kim

It's my understanding that they give you a FCC (Future Cruise Credit) to use within some period of time... perhaps a year?

Tom

Hi all, Me and my wife both are fully vaxxed with booster. We have 4 kids, the 7 and 9 both are fully vaxed with 2 shots. Our 2 and 4 are not of course since they are not old enough. When can we all get our pre-cruise covid test prior to sail day? What kind test do we have to take? thanks

Edited by khoale2004

1 hour ago, khoale2004 said:

Hi all, Me and my wife both are fully vaxxed with booster. We have 4 kids, the 7 and 9 both are fully vaxed with 2 shots. Our 2 and 4 are not of course since they are not old enough. When can we all get our pre-cruise covid test prior to sail day? What kind test do we have to take? thanks

This link has all the answers for you:

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

Hello everyone, 

My family and I are leaving next Monday on Freedom and I’m trying to wrap my head around what covid tests are acceptable. My husband and I are fully vaccinated and plan to test on Saturday. I have an appt at Walgreens for both of us under the rapid NAAT test. Is that kind okay for us? Now, the tricky part is we will have 3 unvaxed kids with us ages 2, 7, and 11. Currently, I have all 3 set up with an appt to get tested at Quest Friday morning with a asymptomatic PCR test. Says the turnaround time is up to 48 hours. Would either of them qualify to get tested under the rapid NAAT test? Or should I just leave their appt as is with Quest? I apologize if this question has been asked previously. My mind is just spinning and I’m nervous as it’s our first time back cruising since pre-covid. 🥴

On 4/17/2022 at 7:50 PM, stjohnbeachlover said:

We are literally in the "same boat". We cruise on the Splendor on May 2 and also are fully vaccinated and boosted with a stop in Canada. We are flying into Seattle a day early so we were hoping to test 3 days out and get it taken care of before we fly out of St. Louis. We are planning on taking the NAAT rapid test from Walgreens.

John Heald has confirmed that it is 2 days out period.  Regardless of whether you are boosted or not and whether you plan to get off the ship or not. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:43 AM, Flmom21 said:

Hello everyone, 

My family and I are leaving next Monday on Freedom and I’m trying to wrap my head around what covid tests are acceptable. My husband and I are fully vaccinated and plan to test on Saturday. I have an appt at Walgreens for both of us under the rapid NAAT test. Is that kind okay for us? Now, the tricky part is we will have 3 unvaxed kids with us ages 2, 7, and 11. Currently, I have all 3 set up with an appt to get tested at Quest Friday morning with a asymptomatic PCR test. Says the turnaround time is up to 48 hours. Would either of them qualify to get tested under the rapid NAAT test? Or should I just leave their appt as is with Quest? I apologize if this question has been asked previously. My mind is just spinning and I’m nervous as it’s our first time back cruising since pre-covid. 🥴

My understanding is NAAT is acceptable as a PCR test.  The website FAQ says

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

I would say the NAAT test is acceptable for the children. 

On 4/17/2022 at 7:50 PM, stjohnbeachlover said:

John Heald has updated. 

2173EA93-13BD-4DE9-80CD-D57F0E730998.thumb.png.1ecf7b42b2db67b558c16fb3e9547417.png

On 4/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Just speculation - everyone is an expert or has a crystal ball!  

We did the walk-in approach to tests for a few cruises. But that was a hassle and then a couple months ago they started charging us a copay (I guess the $180 or so my insurance company was paying them wasn't enough return on their $10 test kit). So, we purchased at home (proctored - paid for with the test) tests from OPTUM STORE. Easy peasy, and you don't have to wait around anywhere with potentially infected people (more so than the general public).

It's my understanding that they give you a FCC (Future Cruise Credit) to use within some period of time... perhaps a year?

Tom

I thought carnival required a pcr test?

22 hours ago, 1kaper said:

John Heald has updated. 

2173EA93-13BD-4DE9-80CD-D57F0E730998.thumb.png.1ecf7b42b2db67b558c16fb3e9547417.png

Thanks for the update. We currently have a PCR test and a rapid antigen NAAT test scheduled for 2 days before we depart. We are vaccinated and double boosted. I think the PCR test may be overkill so I may cancel it as we get closer. I have the VeriFly and ArriveCAN apps downloaded and I just need to download the results of our covid tests. I hope there aren't any more changes as we leave to go camping tomorrow and will not be returning until Thursday. We fly out of St. Louis on Sunday.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, MikeNKim said:

Thank you

Kim

I think it's just a matter of time before they drop the testing for fully vaccinated passengers.

• Like 1

I am about to order a 6-pack of tests from eMed. There are six of us traveling. I am assuming I can use one of those tests for each person in my travel party (we will need our own individual eMed accounts). However, I was watching a ParoDeeJay video and he mentioned that only three people can be registered under one box of six tests. Is that accurate? I sure hope I do not need to buy two 6-packs. That is a lot of money for a flipping COVID test. 

14 hours ago, Cruzin' Daddy said:

I am about to order a 6-pack of tests from eMed. There are six of us traveling. I am assuming I can use one of those tests for each person in my travel party (we will need our own individual eMed accounts). However, I was watching a ParoDeeJay video and he mentioned that only three people can be registered under one box of six tests. Is that accurate? I sure hope I do not need to buy two 6-packs. That is a lot of money for a flipping COVID test. 

1 box per person - each one is independently marked, and has no relation to the other boxes (though likely from similar lots).

I would not feel comfortable with 6 tests for 6 people. If everything goes right (no mistakes/spills, no internet issues, no missing test components) then all is good. I would get at least 1 (if not 2) additional tests - or have a plan B, and enough time to pull it off, if needed.

Tom

We are sailing today (Monday) and took the CVS PCR test Saturday morning at 11:15.  It had  1-2 day turnaround.  We had a back up plan to use eMed home test if we didn’t get the results in 48 hours.   
We had not gotten the results when we went to bed at 11 p.m. Sunday, so I was getting a little nervous.  When I woke this morning, I found a text that came in near midnight  with negative results.  Hurrah!

Next time I will just do the proctored home test since results will be quicker.  Or we would take it in the 3 day window since we are vaccinated and boosted.  A little too stressful for me though.

I also had a problem with CVS cancelling an appointment for the rapid antigen when we took a cruise in early March.  Luckily, we found an alternate CVS site, but it was 30 miles away.

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

1 box per person - each one is independently marked, and has no relation to the other boxes (though likely from similar lots).

I would not feel comfortable with 6 tests for 6 people. If everything goes right (no mistakes/spills, no internet issues, no missing test components) then all is good. I would get at least 1 (if not 2) additional tests - or have a plan B, and enough time to pull it off, if needed.

Tom

OMG, Tom! I didn’t even consider any of those issues that you just wrote about. Geesh! Thank you so much for your very insightful post. You have helped me tremendously. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cruzin' Daddy said:

OMG, Tom! I didn’t even consider any of those issues that you just wrote about. Geesh! Thank you so much for your very insightful post. You have helped me tremendously. 

Happy to help. I'd hate for anyone to get in a bind during the homestretch!

You watch, you'll get a couple extra tests - and won't need them. It's like insurance, it's nice to have, but you don't want to use it... especially life insurance !!

Tom