**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

I can get tested at the local hospital. Do the test results have to specifically say negative?They use not detected instead of negative. Am i over thinking this? First cruise since the pandemic and dont want to get there and be told it’s not accepted.

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

3 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I can get tested at the local hospital. Do the test results have to specifically say negative?They use not detected instead of negative. Am i over thinking this? First cruise since the pandemic and dont want to get there and be told it’s not accepted.

From Carnival's Have Fun, Be Safe health protocols at Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line :

Guests should review their pre-cruise test results, i.e., a laboratory test record, digital certificate or healthcare record, and ensure it indicates their full legal name, date of birth, type of test, date and time sample was taken, test result stating “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” and laboratory, testing site, and/or healthcare provider details. Handwritten test results are not acceptable. 

It's also listed on the Carnival site:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

From Carnival's Have Fun, Be Safe health protocols at Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line :

Guests should review their pre-cruise test results, i.e., a laboratory test record, digital certificate or healthcare record, and ensure it indicates their full legal name, date of birth, type of test, date and time sample was taken, test result stating “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” and laboratory, testing site, and/or healthcare provider details. Handwritten test results are not acceptable. 

Thanks appreciate that.

• Thanks 1

This page says that only PCR test is acceptable; 

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

It says it was updated March 23rd.

Yet this page (which is just a different tab on the first page) says that many antigen tests are acceptable;

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

Why do they have conflicting information on essentially the same page?

Anyone know what they actually accept? I'd hate to get the antigen test and then get turned away.

Was planning on getting Rapid test at CVS  but is is not offered in my area recently.They have PCR at Walgreens and.CVS and it says available within 1-2 days.Anyone use those snd how long did it take to get results?Who knows if they will still offer those is7 weeks.I am afraid to do at home test as I only have a smart phone snd no computer or I pad.It seems difficult to do a proctored test on smartphone.Much rather go to store..

8 hours ago, jacksonx said:

This page says that only PCR test is acceptable;

The only mention of the PCR test requirement on that page is for unvaccinated guests. If you've been vaccinated, that doesn't apply to you.

Just got our negative test print outs at our local CVS and the Minute Clinic operator said that CVS will no longer be testing for travel without a charge.  She said it would be $200/person.  Starting now.  Anyone else hear about this change?  TIA!

29 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Just got our negative test print outs at our local CVS and the Minute Clinic operator said that CVS will no longer be testing for travel without a charge.  She said it would be $200/person.  Starting now.  Anyone else hear about this change?  TIA!

Wouldn't that be up to your health insurance provider and not CVS? Since when were tests for travel at CVS free before ? 

I called Walgreens on friday, told them we were taking a cruise and needed a test. I asked about billing since I have insurance and was told they don’t need my insurance that they bill it to a third party and there is no charge.

The federal funding for COVID tests and shots are drying up and Congress has not reauthorized funding for it. I've bought ours from E-Med for $150 for six, it covers six tests, my girlfriend and her daughter used two last month, we used two this month and will use the last two later this year before they expire.

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I saw a couple other posts about this in the past two or three weeks - I was hoping it was wrong.

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Wouldn't that be up to your health insurance provider and not CVS? Since when were tests for travel at CVS free before ? 

It has been free in Florida.  There was a travel option to select (it said something like seeking to prevent the spread of Covid before or after travel).

Edited by cruisemom2

8 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

I saw a couple other posts about this in the past two or three weeks - I was hoping it was wrong.

It has been free in Florida.  There was an travel option to select (it said something like seeking to prevent the spread of Covid before or after travel).

That's what I selected. According to the CVS technician, my mom and I just squeaked in.  Wonder what happens for future cruises?

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

CVS store rep gave me a heads up about this back in February. He said they received a letter from the Corporate Office that CVS would be discontinuing free travel test. 

I was told this before my February cruise on Sunshine as well - CVS tech said that their testing had maybe a month left before they quit providing the service for free. I haven't checked back in with them to see if that's since changed but it sounds like it hasn't from this thread.

23 minutes ago, thewynn said:

If it is still covered by insurance for exposure and/or symptoms, seems that would be the thing to do and just say you have an exposure/symptoms.

Part of the issue may also be that health departments and local pharmacies may no longer provide testing at times/days that fit within the cruise line rules. So soon your only realistic option may be to buy the proctored online tests or take your chances of an asymptomatic positive and pay for a test at the pier. Then deal with insurance reimbursement afterwards I suppose.

I know in my area if CVS and Walgreens stop providing testing, my only choice is the health department and I'd be out of luck for a Monday departure. They don't do tests on the weekends.

Edited by mz-s

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Part of the issue may also be that health departments and local pharmacies may no longer provide testing at times/days that fit within the cruise line rules. So soon your only realistic option may be to buy the proctored online tests or take your chances of an asymptomatic positive and pay for a test at the pier. Then deal with insurance reimbursement afterwards I suppose.

I know in my area if CVS and Walgreens stop providing testing, my only choice is the health department and I'd be out of luck for a Monday departure. They don't do tests on the weekends.

Check your arrival airport for a clinic

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Check your arrival airport for a clinic

I just don't relish the idea of getting that far along into the process and then have it all come crashing down with an asymptomatic positive test result. It's the same reason I really don't like the idea of getting tested at the pier. Honestly I think the testing should just go away altogether but I think we're still a ways off from that possibility.

• Like 1