Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

21 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

She has to keep testing until the result shows negative before her work allows her to return to work. Her work requires official proof of negative test result. 

Is she using PCR or Antigen tests?   PCR can test positive for months because it detects dead virus.  But Antigen is different and only looks for current active viral load.   She should use a proctored Antigen test to see if she currently has active viral load.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jc foster said:

If something goes wrong and and a passenger is unable to get precruise testing before arriving at port does princess offer testing at the terminal ?

I understand it does.

For Cruises out of Southampton,  Princess was originally offering testing at the ship for $60/pp  ( up until mid June) but that has now changed on their website and now it no longer says anything about testing by Princess, unless the results from your pre cruise test at your choosing do not arrive on time.  Then they will assist in a no charge test.   I would not go on the assumption they are offering tests, nor that is will be dropped in the next couple of weeks.

18 hours ago, jc foster said:

If something goes wrong and and a passenger is unable to get precruise testing before arriving at port does princess offer testing at the terminal ?

You can book a test at the terminal from 10 days before boarding for $60.  In addition if you have taken a "2 days before" test and not got results back, Princess will give you a free tst at the dock.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ElmaLee said:

You can book a test at the terminal from 10 days before boarding for $60.  In addition if you have taken a "2 days before" test and not got results back, Princess will give you a free tst at the dock.

Thanks

HOORAY!  Frm the CDC website:

COVID-19MENU

Cruise Ship Travel
Updated July 18, 2022
Languages

As of July 18, 2022, CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. CDC will continue to publish guidance to help cruise ships continue to provide a safer and healthier environment for passengers, crew and communities going forward. For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Princess states that if you haven't received your test results after taking a PCR test before you board, they will do a test at the terminal if you show proof of having taken the test.  What would be considered the proof that you took the PCR test. We cruise 15 Aug and not sure what test will be available then at either a CVS or walk-in Medical Clinic.   We've done most of our testing at our local Walgreens (ID NOW Test) or a clinic with results   back in a couple of hours.   The only paperwork we get for that test is the email showing our appointment time.  Will not have access to a Walgreens for this cruise. Just want to have an idea of what documentation to ask for if we do the PCR test.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, 3redheads said:

Perhaps we'll see the testing requirement lifted?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html#faq

"As of July 18, 2022, CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. CDC will continue to publish guidance to help cruise ships continue to provide a safer and healthier environment for passengers, crew and communities going forward. "

👍

On 7/18/2022 at 5:53 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Each new mutation is more easily transmitted and less lethal.  It's basic virology.  That's what viruses do.  The Russian flu and the Spanish flu mutated and are still circulating as part of the coronavirus family.

Waiting for zero cases is an exercise in futility. 

Good point 👍 

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:00 AM, jc foster said:

I ordered four of the Binax Home Test kits. I know that before we take the test we scan the QR code on the front of each box that we will be using.  My question is how do they identify each of us? Do we fill out a form or does the person who is monitoring the test identify us by passport or drivers license or what ? thanks

You will need to download the Navica app.  Each person must have their own Navica account.  Go to YouTube and search for Covid test and there will be plenty of videos on how to do.  Also, Abbott BinaxNOW has a video too.  Again, each person must have a Navica account.

• Like 1

Interesting that Princess seems to have immediately increased the number of unvaccinated passengers in response to CDC change in guidelines but have not responded yet vis-a-vis testing. I do not wish to comment on whether one should be vaccinated or not, but it seems clearer that 2 Day, 3 Day testing has less obvious safety than vaccination. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Interesting that Princess seems to have immediately increased the number of unvaccinated passengers in response to CDC change in guidelines but have not responded yet vis-a-vis testing. I do not wish to comment on whether one should be vaccinated or not, but it seems clearer that 2 Day, 3 Day testing has less obvious safety than vaccination. 

Less safety for whom?

20 hours ago, swdke said:

You will need to download the Navica app.  Each person must have their own Navica account.  Go to YouTube and search for Covid test and there will be plenty of videos on how to do.  Also, Abbott BinaxNOW has a video too.  Again, each person must have a Navica account.

Yes, passport or license.  Had it yesterday.  Was easy, the test people have done so many they have it all figured out.

5 hours ago, Userclown said:

Less safety for whom?

I repeat I do not want to stir up a vaccination debate. My point is PCL was confronted with two decisions 1. Increase the number of unvaccinated passengers. 2. Stop the pre-cruise testing.

As is maintained, testing 3 days before sailing with airline, hotel exposure in between is a doubtful process to ensure safety. It has also been demonstrated that unvaccinated people are more susceptible to catching Covid.

Not surprised PCL said they would not stop testing, being cautious, so why not extend that caution to % vaccinated. Please don't read too much into this. I am simply saying that they had two decisions to make, and I would have expected them to wait-and-see on both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I repeat I do not want to stir up a vaccination debate. My point is PCL was confronted with two decisions 1. Increase the number of unvaccinated passengers. 2. Stop the pre-cruise testing.

As is maintained, testing 3 days before sailing with airline, hotel exposure in between is a doubtful process to ensure safety. It has also been demonstrated that unvaccinated people are more susceptible to catching Covid.

Not surprised PCL said they would not stop testing, being cautious, so why not extend that caution to % vaccinated. Please don't read too much into this. I am simply saying that they had two decisions to make, and I would have expected them to wait-and-see on both. 

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate your input. I am vaccinated, I wash my hands and keep them away from my face. I protect myself the best I can. Vaccines keep me from extreme illness, not from getting it. No matter if I fly, cruise, or go to the store, I am exposed so I will take care of me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Userclown said:

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate your input. I am vaccinated, I wash my hands and keep them away from my face. I protect myself the best I can. Vaccines keep me from extreme illness, not from getting it. No matter if I fly, cruise, or go to the store, I am exposed so I will take care of me.

I do too, vaccinated and boosted but still caught Covid. However, if I had not tested, I would have said it was a minor head cold. Symptoms abated after two days but tested positive for twelve days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I do too, vaccinated and boosted but still caught Covid. However, if I had not tested, I would have said it was a minor head cold. Symptoms abated after two days but tested positive for twelve days.

That seems to be the pattern.  Even our aged commander in chief is exhibiting minor symptoms.  Stop the testing madness and just treat those who present with symptoms.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

That seems to be the pattern.  Even our aged commander in chief is exhibiting minor symptoms.  Stop the testing madness and just treat those who present with symptoms.

Like any other illness

• Like 2