Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

42 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

You are taking your own test but monitored via internet.

Good point, in some instances Princess refers to medically supervised self-test. I suppose 'supervised' is implied in this case. I was thinking of 'attested self-test' hence my confusion.

Does Princess accept the Onpoint testing for the proctored internet testing?  I see it is $20 on line to schedule (plus you have to have your own OTC testing - which I have from the Federal government).  Alaska cruise in mid September, so at this point still have to get the test.  I see on the Princess website they list Optum and another company.  Just wondering if anyone has used this company and if they are acceptable for the test requirements. 

Thanks

56 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

Does Princess accept the Onpoint testing for the proctored internet testing?  I see it is $20 on line to schedule (plus you have to have your own OTC testing - which I have from the Federal government).  Alaska cruise in mid September, so at this point still have to get the test.  I see on the Princess website they list Optum and another company.  Just wondering if anyone has used this company and if they are acceptable for the test requirements. 

Thanks

Princess does not force guests to use a particular provider.  They just specify the acceptable test types and that they must be medically-observed in North America.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:49 AM, Dan M. said:

Our experience was a joke. After dropping nearly $400 for the three of us to get pre-cruise tested, NO ONE asked about the results or even asked about getting them. 😞

Look on the bright side ... it could have gone the opposite way!  My take on travel now is just have NO expectations.  Read all the rules, do the best you can, and be grateful for whatever good stuff happens.  Nobody knows up from down anymore, I pity the people who actually work for travel providers, they're first in the line of fire when it's all screwed up.  We cruise mid-September and I just want to BE ON THE SHIP.  Put up the obstacles, all you bureaucrats and politicians, I'll jump 'em or go around. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, Davey Jones Dentist said:

This morning the web pages are "updated" but still not completely understandable.

Guests sailing on voyages 16 nights or longer, or sailing on full Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other specific itineraries, need to take a supervised test within three days of embarkation (guests 5 and older). Guests on these types of voyages will be contacted directly by an Ocean Navigator to assist.

And it also says;

Unvaccinated guests, or those who do not provide proof of vaccination, on those itineraries will self-test within three days of sailing and upload proof of a negative test on the MedallionClass® app before boarding.

Note that it does NOT say that unvaccinated guests need a SUPERVISED test. 

I guess we just have to wait and see what the next Princess update says.

From what I read about the Medallion app, this oughta be a real circus.

8 hours ago, lagrutke said:

With regards to visiting Greece, I just received this from Princess via email.  This is for a Mediterranean cruise embarking on September 10th in Rome.

image.png.2fd1e4c28de1ff53bf5d384fff56849f.png

Got mine also. Now my question is if Greece is sticking to the 72hrs or 48hrs or is it actually 3 or 2 days, like Princess. I guess I will assume the former to be save 🤪

WejAre Covid test still free for cruises at urgent care or pharmacies?  I need a Covid test for a cruise sailing out of Canada.  We're flying to Canada on a Thursday morning, and boarding on a Saturday.  So if I want to take my test while still in the US, I'll need a PCR which is valid 72 hours.  Trying to figure out whether to go to a pharmacy like Walgreens or to an urgent care which can provide results within 24 hrs or same day pending when test is taken.  Anyone, wondering if this is going to cost no matter where I go.  I know back in November for a cruise I was not charged.  Perhaps my insurance covered, I don't know.  But what about now, what are cruises doing now for sailings out of Canada which still requires testing.  Thanks, appreciate your help and information.

1 hour ago, swdke said:

WejAre Covid test still free for cruises at urgent care or pharmacies?  I need a Covid test for a cruise sailing out of Canada.  We're flying to Canada on a Thursday morning, and boarding on a Saturday.  So if I want to take my test while still in the US, I'll need a PCR which is valid 72 hours.  Trying to figure out whether to go to a pharmacy like Walgreens or to an urgent care which can provide results within 24 hrs or same day pending when test is taken.  Anyone, wondering if this is going to cost no matter where I go.  I know back in November for a cruise I was not charged.  Perhaps my insurance covered, I don't know.  But what about now, what are cruises doing now for sailings out of Canada which still requires testing.  Thanks, appreciate your help and information.

I have a question on the time of the test.  Princess states that PCR or Antigen test to be done 72/48 hrs before sailing.  The ship delay the sailing to 11pm Saturday night. Therefore , we can't take the test before 11pm 2/3 days before sailing.   I though that it was 72/48 hours before embarkation.  

3 minutes ago, bmwix said:

I have a question on the time of the test.  Princess states that PCR or Antigen test to be done 72/48 hrs before sailing.  The ship delay the sailing to 11pm Saturday night. Therefore , we can't take the test before 11pm 2/3 days before sailing.   I though that it was 72/48 hours before embarkation.  

For sailings out of Canada, the Antigen test per Princess website says 2 days.  PCR test is 72 hours.  My interpretation is 72 hours from boarding, not departing.  However this is a good question because for flights when a test is required for some intl destinations requiring a test such as a PCR the airline requirement is 72 hours from boarding time,.not check in time as required by some countries.  So based on this, I now question my interpretation.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Ridiculous, but we don't make the rules.

We're on world cruise - fully vaccinated but unboosted - Greece is the only 'booster' requirement remaining and while I got us an exemption as current Princess says is required, but doing so flags us as being totally unvaccinated which would make the testing processes untenable.  Only hoping that things get cleared up before 2023!  

Where is the best place to get an Antigen test in Vancouver?  We have the Rapid test kit provided by the government.  Can we take the test more than 48 hours before sailing?  We'll be sailing on the Majestic , Sept 10.  The ship delay the sailing till 11pm.  Does that means that we have to take the test on Friday and leave on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Is Princess or Canada checking testing before boarding Seattle / Vancouver / NYC or when visiting a Canadian port? i.e. I know the current rules but wonder if they are being applied.

Can confirm test results were “looked at” in Vancouver for August 17 embarkation.  😊

10 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Is Princess or Canada checking testing before boarding Seattle / Vancouver / NYC or when visiting a Canadian port? i.e. I know the current rules but wonder if they are being applied.

I wouldn't want to bank on any rule or procedure not being checked at some point as status quo going forward.  I would assume anything required could be checked at any time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taniadjames said:

Am I correct that I can't use my online proctored tests that Princess recognized before?  And where do I get a test if I am in Rome 3 days prior to embarkation?

You are correct, Greece requires  in person testing as far as I know. Specifically stating that online proctoring will not work. The Rome airport or local Pharmacies will test for a fee. At least that is what I have been told. Will find out next week. 

Edited by Musky Ike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Nope, Greece requires  in person testing as far as I know. Specifically stating that online proctoring will not work. The Rome airport or local Pharmacies will test for a fee. At least that is what I have been told. Will find out next week. 

Please let us know what you do . We have a 26 October cruise with Greek ports 

• Like 2

We recently used the optum (sp.) test bought on line.  It is an online proctored test that takes about 15 minutes.  Make sure to buy an extra one just in  ase. Several youtube videos on how to take the test

Edited by Potstech

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I wouldn't want to bank on any rule or procedure not being checked at some point as status quo going forward.  I would assume anything required could be checked at any time.

Agree, I was curious because of comments that there was no check in Greece.

• Like 1