Testing in Rome port before flying home to USA

mimbecky

I have booked a flight for return home same day as we arrive back in port.  We have done this several times, booking a car at 7am- getting to airport at 8 for an 11am flight.  Never had a problem. 

Now we must test before coming home (obviously this may change).  I thought they would test onboard.  They do NOT.  There is testing AT the port upon disembarking.  Total time about 40 minutes estimated.  Ship ports at 5am but not sure how long that may actually take.  I am vacillating about booking later but booking is through flights by Celebrity so they must think it is possible.

Those of you who have booked flights coming home on arrival in Rome port, please share what you are doing.

Thanks

M

8 minutes ago, little britain said:

No idea when you are sailing but the rules may change next week let alone in a few months -the ships aren't even back in Europe till the Spring. Perhaps wait and see what the protocols are then?

100% agree! The earliest cruise disembarking in Rome is not sailing before April. Any information given now is probably obsolete by then. Start worrying about it in March.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given the uncertainty, I believe it would be wise to schedule a later flight.  

Both MSC and Costa currently have cruises disembarking in Civitavecchia.  However, I suspect most of those passengers are not from the US, so the current experience would not be a good indication of what may happen later when many US passengers are on board. 

• Like 1

I booked after my Beyond cruise in August a single night at the Rome airport Hilton so I could go to the airport for my testing (terminal 3 where US flights leave) in the afternoon. Then I leave the next morning at 11:50am. Test only needs to be less than 24 hours from departure. Doing everything on embarkation day is too much. But hopefully by August this testing for US citizens returning to their own country is finished. I think it’s stupid to begin with, US citizens should be exempt. I wish someone would sue the CDC over this.

11 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I booked after my Beyond cruise in August a single night at the Rome airport Hilton so I could go to the airport for my testing (terminal 3 where US flights leave) in the afternoon. Then I leave the next morning at 11:50am. Test only needs to be less than 24 hours from departure. Doing everything on embarkation day is too much. But hopefully by August this testing for US citizens returning to their own country is finished. I think it’s stupid to begin with, US citizens should be exempt. I wish someone would sue the CDC over this.

But hopefully by August this testing for US citizens returning to their own country is finished. I think it’s stupid to begin with, US citizens should be exempt. I wish someone would sue the CDC over this. 

Not sure why we should be exempt?  We can still carry COVID and if so, they don't want us bringing it here, quarantine locally, wherever you are, still have hotel and food costs no matter where we are.  If you want the CDC to be sued, why are you waiting for someone else to initiate it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

But hopefully by August this testing for US citizens returning to their own country is finished. I think it’s stupid to begin with, US citizens should be exempt. I wish someone would sue the CDC over this. 

Not sure why we should be exempt?  We can still carry COVID and if so, they don't want us bringing it here, quarantine locally, wherever you are, still have hotel and food costs no matter where we are.  If you want the CDC to be sued, why are you waiting for someone else to initiate it?

Thanks LGW59, when Virginia100 posted her question I said no one knows what is going to be relevant in August. Some people just feel entitled 

29 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Thanks LGW59, when Virginia100 posted her question I said no one knows what is going to be relevant in August. Some people just feel entitled 

The virus is everywhere , no one is tested flying domestically so why is testing the limited number of US citizens flying  internationally so important? This virus is here to stay, time to start moving on.

38 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’m not a lawyer. If I was I would file in our local circuit court.

28 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

The virus is everywhere , no one is tested flying domestically so why is testing the limited number of US citizens flying  internationally so important? This virus is here to stay, time to start moving on.

We in UK have not been able to fly anywhere for months without testing  and wearing a mask .  I agree we need to move on but to know what the rules will be for international travel in 7/8 months time is not something anyone should expect at this time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

We in UK have not been able to fly anywhere for months without testing  and wearing a mask .  I agree we need to move on but to know what the rules will be for international travel in 7/8 months time is not something anyone should expect at this time.

We in America, well not all of the we, just some, seem to feel very entitled, as if they are special, no matter what the circumstances may be.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

We in America, well not all of the we, just some, seem to feel very entitled, as if they are special, no matter what the circumstances may be.  

Very entitled? Domestic flying requires no vaccine requirement, no covid testing. Same US citizen flying on the same US airlines BUT from a foreign airport requires a covid test the Prior day to arriving even if already  fully vaccinated (which still doesn’t even require a booster shot)? The rules need to consistent for US citizens on any US airlines. Yes, being a US citizen returning home with a valid passport should bring some entitlement.

20 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Very entitled? Domestic flying requires no vaccine requirement, no covid testing. Same US citizen flying on the same US airlines BUT from a foreign airport requires a covid test the Prior day to arriving even if already  fully vaccinated (which still doesn’t even require a booster shot)? The rules need to consistent for US citizens on any US airlines. Yes, being a US citizen returning home with a valid passport should bring some entitlement.

"should bring some entitlement".  Well at least you admit it, you feel entitled.  I wonder if folks in Europe, Asia, Middle East or anywhere else in the world feel that their passports should bring them some entitlement, perhaps some do, but thus far I've not seen any of them post their entitlement here, but hey, at least you are honest about.  Won't work for you, but whatever.

27 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

"should bring some entitlement".  Well at least you admit it, you feel entitled.  I wonder if folks in Europe, Asia, Middle East or anywhere else in the world feel that their passports should bring them some entitlement, perhaps some do, but thus far I've not seen any of them post their entitlement here, but hey, at least you are honest about.  Won't work for you, but whatever.

In their own country they should be treated preferentially,  but their not citizens here. I’m sure your aware that for ALL other diseases a US citizen only needs to show a proper vaccination, not a 24 hour test to gain entry to the US from overseas. 

1 minute ago, Virginia100 said:

In their own country they should be treated preferentially,  but their not citizens here. I’m sure your aware that for ALL other diseases a US citizen only needs to show a proper vaccination, not a 24 hour test to gain entry to the US from overseas. 

No I am not aware, have traveled extensively outside the US.  Never once have I yet to be asked to show proof of ANY vaccine, until Covid came along, and I am glad they are doing so now.  Then again, I don't throw a hissy fit, I am an American with an American passport, yada yada yada

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

No I am not aware, have traveled extensively outside the US.  Never once have I yet to be asked to show proof of ANY vaccine, until Covid came along, and I am glad they are doing so now.  Then again, I don't throw a hissy fit, I am an American with an American passport, yada yada yada

Yep, yada, yada guy. Carry on.