I THINK WE ARE CANCELING OUR CRUISE!!

mlang

16 minutes ago, fliprcruiser said:

See you onboard!  I'll be the one wearing a Manitowoc Minute Packer face mask.

Cool.  Saw Charlie last month at his show in Green Bay.  Will have to see if Fleet Farm has any as it's too late to get one online. 😄

18 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I think it depends on what your expectations are for a cruise vacation. If this is your one big trip for the year and you want all the bells and whistles, I can definitely see canceling or rescheduling. If you are a more frequent cruiser and have been there done that about shows and activities and really just want to stare at the sea, then go if your personal situation permits. No judgment either way. 

Exactly right!  We would look at if differently if we cruised less often.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

That is exactly why we cancelled our cruise.  We should be driving to Fort Lauderdale this morning to get on the ship, and I do feel sad about it.  Overall, though, I feel relief at having finally made a decision after weeks of agonizing.  And I feel happy anticipation at the thought of that same cruise to be taken on May 28, hopefully when cruising is closer to “normal”.  

Agreed! The 'do we, don't we' has been causing so much anxiety.

• Like 3

Expand  

You feel and think the same way we do.

We cruised in Sept 2021 on Celebrity Edge and in Nov 2021 on NCL Joy B2B. No mssks, no social distancing.

Ship had 900 and 1,600 passengers. 

No concerns at all. Different time.

Now, not the same. We just canceled 2 Feb Oasis OTS cruises. TOO, many issues.

1. Air cancelations

2. Test positive

3. Contact tracing

4. Quarantine 

5. Ports closed

6. Entertainment reduced

7. I Think I identified the major ones?

Stay Safe!

Cruising will come back safely!

• Like 2

The wife and I are scheduled to be on Allure OTS come Feb 27th. If the cruise goes, we go. Flying in from SLC on Delta 2 days before the cruise. Direct, early flight to mitigate contact with people as much as possible. We will be using our N95 respirators and hand sanitizer liberally while in transit. When in FL pre-cruise, we will be staying at my parents house vs a hotel. This is the best we can do. And we feel comfortable with the risk/reward equation.

• Like 1

As someone who recently got stuck in a foreign country with zero consistent guidelines on how to get home, I can attest its not fun.  That being said it was something we knew was a possibility.  The most aggravating part was not having clear guidelines on what it took to fly back home.  In the cases of domestic cruises driving home is at least  an option.  We could not drive home from Ecuador.  That is not a possibility.

If you are ok with potentially having to isolate and be prevented from flying home and ok with a likely diminished experience I say go for it.  If you are vaxxed and boosted the chance of severe disease and death from Omicron is practically nil.

We are scheduled to fly to Lima on Feb 10, after just having tested positive on Dec 30th and having to isolate in Ecuador.  We are still going, but we acknowledge that my wife and daughter (the two in our party of four that did not test positive.  My son and I got stuck in Ecuador.) may get stuck in Peru.  

At this point it all comes down to want YOU are willkng to tolerate in terms of service level and isolation.  Only you can answer that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

I'm not sure it's a safety issue as much as a diminished quality issue at this point. Omicron is spreading everywhere...on land and on sea. The issue that's arising on sea is it's effecting a large amount of crew. This has lead to cancelled entertainment and service issues. 

We're just off Serenade in December and I agree.  The experience was stressful and absolutely not worth the cost.  We didn't  feel like we got what we paid for at all.  I understand that things needed to change to protect folks, but we feel we overpaid for the experience we received.  That's just my opinion; your opinion may be different.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

I'm not sure it's a safety issue as much as a diminished quality issue at this point. Omicron is spreading everywhere...on land and on sea. The issue that's arising on sea is it's effecting a large amount of crew. This has lead to cancelled entertainment and service issues. Ports have also been closing or not allowing ships to dock if the positivity rate onboard rises above a certain percentage. Then comes the issue if you don't feel well and test positive while aboard or end up as a close contact to someone who did test positive ...you have to quarantine in an interior or oceanview cabin in a restricted area on the ship separated from your significant other unless they test positive also.  You also have all the protocols you have to adhere to...pre-cruise testing  (that can come back positive just 2 days prior to your vacation ending it right there) and masking on the ship constantly everywhere indoors. So you have to be prepared to deal with any or all of these things if you are going to cruise right now. What you need to decided is do I want to spend my money on that type of experience.

+1

1 minute ago, Babr said:

I’m just weary of the folks who say don’t be afraid, go have fun, live your life. Seems they must be oblivious to what is happening on ships these days and the hurdles involved to get there.

I would never say don’t be afraid. Fear to travel is different for each person depending upon their circumstances.

If your risks you are willing to take for the potential rewards you receive for attempting to go on your vacation tips in favor of the rewards ledger for you, Go. If not, don’t.

This is a personal decision. Getting validation from others is just an exercise in confirmation bias, and really serves no purpose.

Make your own assessment. Feel good about it. Move on.

8 minutes ago, rimmit said:

As someone who recently got stuck in a foreign country with zero consistent guidelines on how to get home, I can attest its not fun.  That being said it was something we knew was a possibility.  The most aggravating part was not having clear guidelines on what it took to fly back home.  In the cases of domestic cruises driving home is at least  an option.  We could not drive home from Ecuador.  That is not a possibility.

If you are ok with potentially having to isolate and be prevented from flying home and ok with a likely diminished experience I say go for it.  If you are vaxxed and boosted the chance of severe disease and death from Omicron is practically nil.

We are scheduled to fly to Lima on Feb 10, after just having tested positive on Dec 30th and having to isolate in Ecuador.  We are still going, but we acknowledge that my wife and daughter (the two in our party of four that did not test positive.  My son and I got stuck in Ecuador.) may get stuck in Peru.  

At this point it all comes down to want YOU are willkng to tolerate in terms of service level and isolation.  Only you can answer that.  

Just goes to prove some people never learn, but good luck to you, hope it goes well for you this time. I mean really what are the chances(odds) of you having issues again like you had in Ecuador in Lima?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, binro01 said:

I would never say don’t be afraid. Fear to travel is different for each person depending upon their circumstances.

If your risks you are willing to take for the potential rewards you receive for attempting to go on your vacation tips in favor of the rewards ledger for you, Go. If not, don’t.

This is a personal decision. Getting validation from others is just an exercise in confirmation bias, and really serves no purpose.

Make your own assessment. Feel good about it. Move on.

You missed my point. Fear is not the issue, nor is validation. It is the failure to recognize that some people simply choose not to cruise at this time because the experience is not appealing.

• Like 3

Just now, Jimbo said:

Just goes to prove some people never learn, but good luck to you, hope it goes well for you.

Lol!!

I am without the most stubborn and persistent person ever.  

Knowing people that got stuck in Peru while we were in Ecuador stuck they had a much easier time and were able to use a letter of recovery and positive test unlike us.  

Having been through it once. I will be even better prepared this time around knowing how the system works or rather does not work.  

• Like 3

For the price we paid for this cruise, 1020..for 6 nights in the Caribbean in an ocean view balcony, at 170 per day, the bar the cruise line needs to meet is 3 meals at McDonald’s and a night at the Holiday Inn Express off an interstate. That’s what 170 gets you per day. (A pretty low bar if you ask me) So, missing ports, or any entertainment… who cares. That’s my own assessment. I can’t get a room with that kind of view for less than 200 a night. And I will still need to feed myself. The value we will receive will be there for us to cruise. Others might have different assessments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Occupancy levels seem not to be an issue at the moment with a lot of people cancelling, hence the experience on board should be very relaxing concerning crowds. If someone wants to go on holiday now anyhow it's worth doing so, but if you are looking for a pre covid cruise experience and are worried that shows etc will be cancelled and not all facilities are available don't go as such scenarios are very likely to happen currently. Being safe on board, if you take the needed precaucions including disciplined wearing of surgical or FFP2 masks (wearing them properly), personaly hygiene and distancing the experience should be as safe or even more so than on land. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

That is exactly why we cancelled our cruise.  We should be driving to Fort Lauderdale this morning to get on the ship, and I do feel sad about it.  Overall, though, I feel relief at having finally made a decision after weeks of agonizing.  And I feel happy anticipation at the thought of that same cruise to be taken on May 28, hopefully when cruising is closer to “normal”.  

I agree with you 100%. We too live in Bradenton and we can drive to any port. The only thing I don't want to risk is being quarantined I would rather not take that chance and just stay at home!.

• Like 3

Me and my friend are supposed to board Adventure on January 12, and we are going - if everything else goes.

I also work in Healthcare, and honestly my risk of getting Covid at work is muuuuch higher than on the cruise. So far I have been lucky, hope to be lucky this time too. I am vaccinated and boosted, and it doesn't bother me too much to wear mask - I wear it at work for 8 hours straight every shift.

I fly, but my ticket is really cheap, I used the coupon I won from AA. My friend drives, and we meet in Texas, and then drive together.

I understand that I might test positive tomorrow, and I will not know till I will be in Texas already (I am doing PCR test), and I am morally prepared for that. I agree it would really suck to contract Covid on board and get quarantined. 

But I am going forward with no doubts. I got a great deal for the suite, probably will never book this type of room at regular price. And I don't care much about the shows etc. I want the sea, the cabin and my friend company, we haven't seen each other for more than a year.

Fingers crossed! :))))

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, fla gang said:

I agree with you 100%. We too live in Bradenton and we can drive to any port. The only thing I don't want to risk is being quarantined I would rather not take that chance and just stay at home!.

Looking at this from a different angle.... there are also people still cruising who feel the same way about quarantining who aren't symptoms to medical just to avoid getting quarantined.

Edited by bajathree

50 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Same here! We rescheduled our family cruise for May 8 on Allure. Ended up changing from a 4 night on Freedom to a 6 night on Allure, so that's a bonus too! Hopefully thing will be better before then though. My husband and I are supposed to sail on Adventure on March 28th...

Our next cruise might be on February 5, so we have the agonizing to look forward to all over again.  Hope it will be an easier decision the second time around.  We will be watching carefully for the next three weeks and will address it then.  Rebooking that cruise will cost an additional 30-40%, so that might make it easier to decide (paid too much already to settle for a lesser experience vs. hate to pay that much more to rebook).  We have two lifted and shifted four-nighters in March that I am not worried about.  My tolerance for missed ports and entertainment is a lot higher for a shorter period of time and refunds wouldn’t be much, so an easy decision for those two.

The worst scenario is that the cruise lines or CDC could make the decision for us 😢

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The worst scenario is that the cruise lines or CDC could make the decision for us 😢

The CDC already hinted that the are letting the CSO expire on the 15 just recently. I believe there is an article here on CC about that. 

It seems for most people the thought of being isolated in less than desirable accommodations away from your friends and loved ones is the predominant concern. You can catch Covid at the supermarket. But hopefully you will be sleeping in your bed that night

• Like 3

Just yesterday, we cancelled our cruise out of Barbados and switched to a summer sailing out of Baltimore on the Enchantment of the Seas.  Hopefully less COVID and no fear of testing + coming off the ship and getting stuck in quarantine in a foreign country.  Upside is we're booked in a Junior Suite for the first time!  Can't wait to set sail!

• Like 4