"What Ports Are Closed to Cruise Ships Right Now?" -- yikes???

earthpoet

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

John - Celebrity's website is not the best, but how do you expect them to know what ports any ship will be able to visit?  Impossible today as some two dozen countries are changing their rules often and there is no way to know what the status as to Covid cases on board until AFTER you sail - and it changes daily.

If you are not completely flexible seems waiting a while to cruise would make for a more enjoyable vacation .

Hi Arizona, you are correct and I agree with you.  If people are expecting a normal cruise visiting ports they have never seen before and have a threat of covid while on the ship, then they should wait until the seas are calmer.  For us getting on the Apex this Saturday January 15, will be to enjoy the ship and yes we have to mask.  We have been on too many cruises in the caribbean for the ports to matter to us.  This cruise booking has been Lifted and Shifted twice.  We can delay till next year and go on the Beyond in January 2023.  But no one knows if another variant will derail that plan.  My selfish hope is alot of cancellations will continue so our sailing will be less crowded.  Here is a bummer the available seats on on Delta from ATL to FLL this Friday are almost sold out.  This was not the case a few days ago, I expected alot of cancellations.  Guess I will have to bring a HazMat suit with the sign on the front and back that reads "Back off".

1634361065_Screenshot2022-01-05at2_27_55PM.thumb.jpeg.f44662cecfc16626a2cb526081e666c8.jpeg

Edited by ohiojohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nevadajack said:

Here is some interesting information from Canada:

Video - Worth the Time:

Canadian Covid Care Alliance Website for PDF Version and More Information:

Oh, 500 Canadian doctors versus the hundreds of thousands of other doctors worldwide. I'm sold.

I also looked up Rumble as a platform:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_(website)

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

The vaccine's primary function is not prevent infection. It is to prevent serious disease and death. Especially with Omicron, we have seen HUGE numbers of people getting infection and mild illness, despite being vaccinated and boosted. Thankfully, these people are staying out of the hospitals, because their infections are not serious. The county where I live publishes data on how many people in our hospitals with COVID are vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. It's not even close. 80%+ of those in the ICU are unvaccinated and 90%+ of the those in the ICU and intubated are unvaccinated. Meanwhile, in our general population 70% of people are fully vaccinated, so it's not even like those are equal populations.

Thank you! Many people seem to have no understanding of what vaccines are for, and therefore are using the "So and So is vaxxed and boosted, and still tested positive" stuff as an excuse to claim the vaccines aren't effective. Clearly, they are. Vaccines are not forcefields which prevent a pathogen from entering your body, they are essentially instructions to your immune system as to what to do if the pathogen gets in. 

I finally got through to one person by saying, "Think about it: they don't paint the vaccine on your skin, they inject it. It works on the inside, not the outside." I know it's an oversimplification. but it did help her to understand. No, I don't know if she ended up getting the shot, but she at least considered it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you! Many people seem to have no understanding of what vaccines are for, and therefore are using the "So and So is vaxxed and boosted, and still tested positive" stuff as an excuse to claim the vaccines aren't effective. Clearly, they are. Vaccines are not forcefields which prevent a pathogen from entering your body, they are essentially instructions to your immune system as to what to do if the pathogen gets in. 

I finally got through to one person by saying, "Think about it: they don't paint the vaccine on your skin, they inject it. It works on the inside, not the outside." I know it's an oversimplification. but it did help her to understand. No, I don't know if she ended up getting the shot, but she at least considered it. 

Unfortunately, this thread is about to be locked thanks to @nevadajack. It's really too bad because there was great information on this thread up to that point.

5 minutes ago, earthpoet said:

Maybe some good news in the next couple of months? Although my cruise is in a month...

https://apnews.com/article/omicron-wave-britain-us-160ded1ce8d82075057630e11b610358

Yes let's hope so.  The previous patterns of variants from the UK and South Africa have repeated themselves in the US too.  But due to the population and geographical differences, the US pattern has generally been much slower.  Hopefully you will feel more confident to cruise in a month.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:23 AM, earthpoet said:

Yes, confinement would not be pleasant, for sure. We are in AquaClass, and I'm wondering if it's even worth it now--they may not have the steam rooms/sauna rooms open, etc. due to the masking. Uggh...what to do.

I am currently on the Edge and the Thermal Spa is open, no masking in there, they just ask that you social distance. I also must say that the spa has had very few people in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, earthpoet said:

I hope so, too. Although at this point (besides Celebrity canceling altogether) my concern is that the ports will cancel, and who knows their Omicron status. May not be near herd immunity there. Blah...

We'll see what happens.

Yeah.  Too many people think about the cruise ship and then think about the ports and virus impact as an after-thought.  Some frequent cruisers will tell you they just love to stay on the ship and don't care about the ports.  But most of the passengers do want to get off the ship and explore.  Or go to the beach.  Or shop.  All a key part of the cruising experience for most.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, djh said:

I am currently on the Edge and the Thermal Spa is open, no masking in there, they just ask that you social distance. I also must say that the spa has had very few people in it.

Glad to hear this...fingers crossed that it stays this way.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:06 AM, TeeRick said:

Yeah.  Too many people think about the cruise ship and then think about the ports and virus impact as an after-thought.  Some frequent cruisers will tell you they just love to stay on the ship and don't care about the ports.  But most of the passengers do want to get off the ship and explore.  Or go to the beach.  Or shop.  All a key part of the cruising experience for most.  

Agree. As a frequent cruiser I don't care too much in the Caribbean but I do like to just get on dry land for awhile and walk around and get some exercise, especially if the Seas have been rough!