Covid pos over a month ago - will I be able to board with pretest still pos?

nsmama1972

Hi all.

It's been over 10 year since we last cruised.Covid certainly has caused a few hiccups to get back ! 

So looking forward to going cruising again.

I called carnival   after speaking to someone who had to go further up chain to ask  I waited 1 hr 15 min , she checked in once to see how I was holding  then after another 20 min I was sent to survey without an answer.

It would appear I asked a difficult question.

Covid test can still show positive up to 3 months after recovering.

Canadian air lines allow for this as long as within post14days  -  90 days ( west jet) 

How do they handle this at the port ?

If I have my pos test and recovery letter will they let me on if my pretest still shows pos but it's from the previous infection?

I called back and am on hold again but though I ask here .

Anyone have previous experience ?

Thank you.

While I cannot speak to Carnival specifically,  I can add that if they require a rapid antigen for boarding the chances (there is a slim chance of course) of testing positive on that type of test after being Covid positive into the future is low.  What I mean to say is that it is known that a PCR test can continue to be positive for weeks and possibly months after being Covid positive; rapid antigen tests do not.  There are lots of published reports and data out there concerning this.

• Thanks 1

There was a similar question on the Carnival boards(they discuss the Dr note later on).   The Carnival site specifically says a negative test is required. There is no where that says a recovery letter will be accepted 

No one chimed in saying they had used one. 

Someone also posted that John Heald has specifically said that a doctors not won’t suffice. 

i know it isn’t a concrete answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i just cruised with Carnival and read their policies and procedures over and over again so think I have a good understanding of them.

They will not allow a letter. No cruise line is allowing letters. Yes I know the CDC says that. But the CDC does not allow the letter for cruising.

They are giving out refunds pretty much up until your sail date.

I would get access to over the counter antigen tests and test yourself every week or so until about 2-3 days before you cruise.

If you are still testing positive at that point call Carnival (of your PVP or TA) and you will get a full refund.

As others have mentioned this question has been asked many times and it was the CDC who said you can test positive up to 90 days.

On here, on other social media, on John's social media page, people have posted that they have tested negative 10 - 20 days after testing positive.

So you probably have nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I found the Facebook post from John Heald. He clearly says that a negative test is required. No exceptions. 

53C174C5-9193-4192-B92D-BD1494A5A13F.png

F49D2708-A2B9-475F-B2CE-D41512578035.png

Thank you. I appreciate this. I am going to take some extra precautions in the couple weeks leading up to when we have to test.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, nsmama1972 said:

Hi all.

It's been over 10 year since we last cruised.Covid certainly has caused a few hiccups to get back ! 

I called carnival   after speaking to someone who had to go further up chain to ask  I waited 1 hr 15 min , she checked in once to see how I was holding  then after another 20 min I was sent to survey without an answer.

Canadian air lines allow for this as long as within post14days  -  90 days ( west jet) 

If I have my pos test and recovery letter will they let me on if my pretest still shows pos but it's from the previous infection?

Thank you.

Don't most cruise lines accept antigen tests? It's not possible to test positive for months on an antigen test. PCR tests are the ones that can show positive results later (since they test for genetic material that can linger in your system for months).

Most people should be okay for getting on a cruise, the issue is returning home to Canada.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, bortman23 said:

Don't most cruise lines accept antigen tests? It's not possible to test positive for months on an antigen test. PCR tests are the ones that can show positive results later (since they test for genetic material that can linger in your system for months).

Most people should be okay for getting on a cruise, the issue is returning home to Canada.

The only people who will have an issue returning home if they've previously had Covid (or suspected they did) are the ones who weren't able to get a confirmed PCR test result (i.e. here in Ontario, since Dec 31st the only people who can get a PCR test for free from public health are those who are "vulnerable" and frontline health care workers). If a person has a positive PCR test from more than 14 days before sailing, they can board their return flight with that test result. If they weren't able to get one and they test positive on a PCR test post-cruise, they'll have to quarantine in the US until they test negative or until 11 days from their test date have passed. 

24 minutes ago, grimpil said:

Another issue that people face is the fact that pos test results from ontario assessment centers will block out part of your name (either first or last name... can't remember) as they are not valid for travel

Yeah they block out the last name, and they also don't have a "secondary identifier" like birthday or passport number. That said I have travelled on one, and no one seemed to notice, or care 

Edited by bortman23

My husband and I tested positive for Covid one day after the Ontario government stopped providing PCR testing to the general population. We ordered the RT-LAMP tests from Switch Health so we would have the documentation needed to return to Canada after our cruise…. Concerned we would still test positive on the PCR test offered by Celebrity at the end of the cruise. Our documentation from Switch Health has our full names, passport numbers, test date, test type and positive result.

We still require a negative antigen test to board the ship and I haven’t seen it mentioned before, but pharmacies in Ontario including SDM specifically ask about Covid exposure in the past 14 days… some say 90 days and if you answer yes, they will not do the travel test. We have ordered the 2 pack proctored antigen tests from Switch Health instead. 

As more people recover from Covid, I sincerely hope the powers that be implement a testing and vaccine protocol that protects people and is not so costly and inconvenient.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:43 PM, nsmama1972 said:

Hi all.

Thank you.

im confused are you saying after a month you are still testing positive? Or your concerned because you "could" still test positive because of that statement about 3 months?  Have you tried a rapid antigen test to check?  My son was negative one week after his positive test.

• Like 1

Antigen tests are sufficient to enter US and board ship.  I would suspect you should be good going that way.  My concern would be returning afterwards with current PCR test requirements in Canada.  Will Canada accept the recovery letter with a positive PCR test to let you back in?  

45 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Antigen tests are sufficient to enter US and board ship.  I would suspect you should be good going that way.  My concern would be returning afterwards with current PCR test requirements in Canada.  Will Canada accept the recovery letter with a positive PCR test to let you back in?  

To return to Canada you only need a positive PCR test from at least 10 days prior, up to 180 days (after that it won't work anymore). No Doctor note needed for Canada (USA need that).

The issue now is people who cannot get a PCR test when symptomatic, and paying for one is around $150 EACH so for a family of 4 it can get very expensive.

• Like 1

Clarification.  If the original post has had COVID and is concerned about entering US and/or ship due to fact PCR test will likely detect the virus after X number of days.  The antigen test is less likely to detect the virus and comes back negative.  The OP can enter the US and the ship within 24 hrs of the negative antigen test.  Don't do PCR because you don't need too and antigen is sufficient and cheaper.  Cruise lines will not accept a positive PCR with doctors/recovery letter for that person who has had COVID.  The person gets negative antigen, goes on cruise, and disembarks.  Requires negative PCR to fly and/or return to Canada.  The person tests positive for COVID with PCR test, but can they fly or return home without quarantine with the doctor or recovery letter.  One would suspect they would, but that is what I would be far more worried about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Clarification.  If the original post has had COVID and is concerned about entering US and/or ship due to fact PCR test will likely detect the virus after X number of days.  The antigen test is less likely to detect the virus and comes back negative.  The OP can enter the US and the ship within 24 hrs of the negative antigen test.  Don't do PCR because you don't need too and antigen is sufficient and cheaper.  Cruise lines will not accept a positive PCR with doctors/recovery letter for that person who has had COVID.  The person gets negative antigen, goes on cruise, and disembarks.  Requires negative PCR to fly and/or return to Canada.  The person tests positive for COVID with PCR test, but can they fly or return home without quarantine with the doctor or recovery letter.  One would suspect they would, but that is what I would be far more worried about.

Let's hope the Canadian government changes the return requirement from PCR to Antigen

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

The person tests positive for COVID with PCR test, but can they fly or return home without quarantine with the doctor or recovery letter.  One would suspect they would, but that is what I would be far more worried about.

If they have a positive PCR test that is less than 180 days old, and more than 10 days old, then they don't need to take another PCR test to return to Canada. Proof of the positive test is all that's required.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

I think some of the information in this thread is incorrect, or I'm reading it wrong.

You need either a negative covid test, OR a positive covid test 10 - 180 days old.

The website says nothing about a doctor's note.

Positive results on your pre-entry test

A positive pre-entry test result within 72 hours of your planned entry is not a valid test result for entry to Canada.

Foreign nationals with symptoms or with a positive result from less than 15 days before arriving (starting January 15, 2022, 11 days) will be denied entry.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

• Canadians include citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons (refugee status)

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken 15 to 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days) before entering Canada

I really doubt your pretest will be positive but make sure it’s an antigen test, not PCR. A lot of people do worry about testing positive weeks/months after having Covid and it’s the PCR test that would detect viral remnants. Here is my experience with testing. Dec 23 antigen test to fly to US (negative). Dec 25 antigen test to cruise (negative). Jan 1 Antigen and PCR tests on the ship-  needed for our consecutive cruise (positive 😢). Jan 5  Antigen and PCR (both negative). Jan 8 PCR for flight to Canada (negative). I was quite surprised, but I think the vaccine and booster really did it’s job in defeating the virus very quickly in my case. I’ve got another cruise booked in 4 weeks. The good news is if you’ve had covid, you’re less likely to get it again for a couple of months at least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karebare22 said:

I really doubt your pretest will be positive but make sure it’s an antigen test, not PCR. A lot of people do worry about testing positive weeks/months after having Covid and it’s the PCR test that would detect viral remnants. Here is my experience with testing. Dec 23 antigen test to fly to US (negative). Dec 25 antigen test to cruise (negative). Jan 1 Antigen and PCR tests on the ship-  needed for our consecutive cruise (positive 😢). Jan 5  Antigen and PCR (both negative). Jan 8 PCR for flight to Canada (negative). I was quite surprised, but I think the vaccine and booster really did it’s job in defeating the virus very quickly in my case. I’ve got another cruise booked in 4 weeks. The good news is if you’ve had covid, you’re less likely to get it again for a couple of months at least.

Interesting to hear your experience. As someone who's recovered from COVID (access to rapid at home antigen test only), my concern will be a false positive in the future on a PCR test to return to Canada. Though my friend went overseas during the holidays and got stuck in France until getting a negative PCR test a week later for the to return back to Canada. So I don't know anyone yet who's received a positive test after recovering.

My next cruise is planned for early March. Going down will be no problem with an antigen test, but my only worry is coming back. But it seems like Manulife's COVID travel insurance is still valid with the travel restrictions, so we will likely get that to cover any possible positive test + quarantine. And I can work remotely during the recovery time...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I think some of the information in this thread is incorrect, or I'm reading it wrong.

You need either a negative covid test, OR a positive covid test 10 - 180 days old.

The website says nothing about a doctor's note.

Positive results on your pre-entry test

A positive pre-entry test result within 72 hours of your planned entry is not a valid test result for entry to Canada.

Foreign nationals with symptoms or with a positive result from less than 15 days before arriving (starting January 15, 2022, 11 days) will be denied entry.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

• Canadians include citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons (refugee status)

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken 15 to 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days) before entering Canada

I think people are getting confused because (I believe) going to the USA on a positive test also requires a doctors note. But coming to Canada does not.

Has anyone that had covid and tested positive on a particular test used it to exempt further tests to leave and come back to Canada?  I had covid in Dec and got a government pcr test so I'd like to use that instead of paying for 2 more tests.

2 hours ago, Swannie22 said:

Has anyone that had covid and tested positive on a particular test used it to exempt further tests to leave and come back to Canada?  I had covid in Dec and got a government pcr test so I'd like to use that instead of paying for 2 more tests.

See post above, https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2823957-covid-pos-over-a-month-ago-will-i-be-able-to-board-with-pretest-still-pos/?do=findComment&comment=62497941 for entry into Canada.

Countries have different entry requirements. Consult official web site of the country you plan to enter for its rules.