On Riviera Now- 1/14 - 1/28

macaroni

10 hours ago, Ella Bella said:

We are sailing out on  Feb. 7th and have been following since Nymich started the first thread.  Thank you so much for posting the new normal onboard O’s Rivera!  As a result of all your posts we plan to sail on the 7th!  I appreciate the unbiased reviews you have provided sprinkled with a good portion of humor.  

Same here!!!  We decided to go on the Feb. 7th cruise, thanks to all of the good reviews on here!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Though this may be the key: "the passenger with the endless supply of cowboy hats". So IF he is a Texan or a cowboy...just let him be. 😉

He keeps to himself, and I have no reason not to let him...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kstornado said:

We will be cruising with you on 1/28.  We are flying from AZ to FL tomorrow and will enjoy a day at the beach before the moment of truth when we get our Covid test at the port.  Should be an interesting adventure.  We have cruised the Caribbean a lot and originally picked this cruise because we had not been to 5 of the 6 ports.  Like you, we are ok with wherever we end up going.  And a special thanks to those onboard the last two cruises who by posting at this site, gave us the ability to say "yes" to this cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Barrest24 said:

We will be cruising with you on 1/28.   And a special thanks to those onboard the last two cruises who by posting at this site, gave us the ability to say "yes" to this cruise!

Please consider posting during your cruise. Would be helpful to many.

We seldom eat in the GDR (unless the menu is a don’t miss it or it’s an officer invited dinner [a “no go” on this cruise]). We prefer Terrace or Specialty Restaurants.

We have however now eaten two GDR dinners. Food was great. But, atmosphere was (understandably) somewhat depressing due to so few folks. Pic taken at about 7:15 PM.

Also, in my continuing quest for return of the true O multi-seeded roll, we have come one step closer. But, and it’s a big “but,” note that those in the pic are black sesame seeds and NOT poppy seeds. Sigh!

8780BD18-AD56-402B-8568-CF5EC0C8F861.jpeg

B43447ED-198B-47FE-86BD-3128421845B0.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I could agree with you except that it’s primarily the issue of “no hats allowed at dinner in the GDR or Specialty Restaurants.” I could care less about any other public space.

Maybe there is another dress code, but I don't see anything about that, unless this is some kind of cowboy baseball cap. (https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005474533-Is-there-a-dress-code- )

IS THERE A DRESS CODE?

Updated June 6, 2018

Recommended on board clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For folks on the next Riviera cruise (or later). If you end up going to St Bart’s, sign up for the RIB Snorkel tour. Very few spots and the guy who does the tour is EXCELLENT. He does a guided snorkel that is among the best we’ve experienced.

Is that a ship excursion or private?

40 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

Maybe there is another dress code, but I don't see anything about that, unless this is some kind of cowboy baseball cap. (https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005474533-Is-there-a-dress-code- )

IS THERE A DRESS CODE?

Updated June 6, 2018

Recommended on board clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM. 

Mea Culpa. I stand technically corrected.
Nonetheless, IMO, for a man to wear any hat/head-covering of any type (other than as a religious requirement) is just so rude.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tgg said:

Women wear hats in restaurants, men remove them. Women wear hats in church, men remove them. The priest wears a hat (of sorts), the male parishioner isn't supposed to.  I wonder what God thinks about hats. 🤔

Rules are rules...for whatever that is worth...ettiquette and respect should not be ignored. (Those that question ladies and mens for the how, where and when should one not have the knowledge; perhaps they should take time and look it up.)  We are in different world now. Its a shame. 

Edited by StandbySea

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We seldom eat in the GDR (unless the menu is a don’t miss it or it’s an officer invited dinner [a “no go” on this cruise]). We prefer Terrace or Specialty Restaurants.

We have however now eaten two GDR dinners. Food was great. But, atmosphere was (understandably) somewhat depressing due to so few folks. Pic taken at about 7:15 PM.

Also, in my continuing quest for return of the true O multi-seeded roll, we have come one step closer. But, and it’s a big “but,” note that those in the pic are black sesame seeds and NOT poppy seeds. Sigh!

That roll looks much better than your previous photo! I think there may be sourcing issues. I just remembered that a little over half-way through the Dec 13-23 cruise, they ran out of all jam flavors and only had orange marmalade.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For folks on the next Riviera cruise (or later). If you end up going to St Bart’s, sign up for the RIB Snorkel tour. Very few spots and the guy who does the tour is EXCELLENT. He does a guided snorkel that is among the best we’ve experienced.

I have been thinking of the RIB Snorkeling Tour and after I read your post I booked it.  Thanks for your recommendation!

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Large variety of fish. Clear water. Plus turtles on the way out. Plus low price just made this great. We were on the second one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StandbySea said:

Rules are rules...for whatever that is worth...ettiquette and respect should not be ignored. (Those that question ladies and mens for the how, where and when should one not have the knowledge; perhaps they should take time and look it up.)  We are in different world now. Its a shame. 

FWIW https://www.pintoranch.com/guide-to-cowboy-hat-etiquette#:~:text=You can put your cowboy,the restaurant%2C take it off.

• Thanks 1

Went to the Top Cabs wine tasting this afternoon.  Seriously good and worth the $95 ["plus 20%].

Interesting factoid:  there are 19 sommeliers on Riviera.  I don't know, but I suspect that is more than the number we had on Crystal Serenity (when I could never get a second glass of wine at dinner).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Ship tour. If the numbers remain the same, it is “RIB Boat Snorkeling” SBH-002 ($89.00 pp or $66.75 pp for YWYW).

Thanks for the info.  Seems like a very good price.  Hope they have it next year as well.  May I ask, YWYW?  

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There was a shortage  due to crop damage a couple of years ago  &  now  this

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/137775/poppy-seed-trade/