Tsunami Advisory on the west coast of California January 15, 2022 7:45am until about 8:00am

culvercitycruiser

16 minutes ago, culvercitycruiser said:

Thanks. I hope that it will be the people disembarking and our embarkation. My local news may be blowing things out of proportion.   I live in the LA area

Yes…apparently blown out of proportion. Hawaii is much closer & any affects were over 5 hours ago.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center earlier said there was no threat to Hawaii from the eruption, which did trigger tsunami waves in Tonga. There was no immediate word on damage.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/app/2022/01/15/tsunami-advisory-issued-hawaii-following-eruption-tonga-no-major-waves-expected/

• Like 1

We live on the coast in Northern California, and the warning is still in effect:" If you are located in this coastal area move off the beach and out of harbors and marinas. "

They have advised that no evacuations are necessary, just some larger waves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwattle said:

the warning is still in effect:

It is an advisory, not a warning.

A Warning indicates that conditions pose a threat to life or property, and that travel will become difficult to impossible. An Advisory indicates conditions pose a significant inconvenience, and if caution is not exercised, could lead to situations that may threaten life and/or property.

https://www.weather.gov/ilx/wwa_social

Just now, Outerdog said:

It is an advisory, not a warning.

A Warning indicates that conditions pose a threat to life or property, and that travel will become difficult to impossible. An Advisory indicates conditions pose a significant inconvenience, and if caution is not exercised, could lead to situations that may threaten life and/or property.

https://www.weather.gov/ilx/wwa_social

apologies

Hawaii experienced up to 2.7 foot tsunami waves & Monterrey, CA 0.7 feet.

Beaches and piers were closed across Southern California as a precaution but the National Weather Service tweeted there were “no significant concerns about inundation.” Strong rip currents were possible, however, and officials warned people to stay out of the water.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/14/breaking-news/tonga-issues-tsunami-warning-after-undersea-volcano-erupts-no-tsunami-threat-for-hawaii/

We are on a narrow peninsula in northern Washington State. Our peninsula is 2 miles wide and 6 miles long. We had the "tsunami advisory" warning us to stay away from the beach ( a mile away from our house). LOL! Our recent King Tide waves were 12 feet high. These tsunami waves were to be 1-4 feet high. The police (all two of them per shift) have closed our beach entrances. I am grateful that it was only an advisory.

What is strange though, is that the fog rolled in this morning after it had been nice and sunny.

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What I saw looked like around 3 PM but I’m not sure. I thought I’d go for a walk today but between the sprinkles and the tsunami, I changed my mind.

Haha, me too. I was happy not to go. I love sprinkles to get out of the walk. I actually enjoy it once I get out there. 

• Haha 1

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY

TSUNAMI WAVE AMPLITUDES ACROSS THE STATE OF HAWAII ARE NOW
 DIMINISHING BUT THEY REMAIN A HAZARD AT THE ADVISORY LEVEL.

GAUGE LOCATION        LAT   LON    TIME        AMPL         PER
 -------------------  ----- ------  -----  ---------------  -----
 HANALEI HI           22.2N 159.5W  1233Z   0.82M /  2.7FT  14MIN
 KAHULUI MAUI         20.9N 156.5W  1228Z   0.83M /  2.7FT  20MIN
 KAWAIHAE HAWAII      20.0N 155.8W  1132Z   0.37M /  1.2FT  10MIN
 HONOKOHAU HI         19.7N 156.0W  1145Z   0.34M /  1.1FT  10MIN
 HALEIWA HI           21.6N 158.1W  1138Z   0.70M /  2.3FT  10MIN
 HONOLULU OAHU        21.3N 157.9W  1112Z   0.12M /  0.4FT  14MIN
 BARBERS PT HI        21.3N 158.1W  1135Z   0.19M /  0.6FT  04MIN
 MAKAI PIER WAIMANAL  21.3N 157.7W  1128Z   0.28M /  0.9FT  10MIN
 HILO HAWAII          19.7N 155.1W  0929Z   0.10M /  0.3FT  16MIN
 NAWILIWILI KAUAI     22.0N 159.4W  1057Z   0.31M /  1.0FT  12MIN
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I've only seen minor reports like this so far:

image.png.f50bc1225b49954d74f1ffa7c3e91468.png

Santa Cruz Harbor is geographically strange. The location and shape allows water to pile up as it is driven into it. This is not the first time that such an event has happened there.

• Like 1