On Silhouette 1/15/22

Wolf 8

20 hours ago, sayvan said:

I’m not buying into this thread…. Something seems off.. others on same cruise are reporting differently (and positively) and you’ve only been gone a day…..could someone be crying “wolf” … 

The OP with less than 100 post on CC may have had unrealistic expectations.    There has been so much posted here on exactly what it is like sailing during a pandemic.   From all reports the number of cases on board are less than 1% I would question what the exposure rate is in her or any of our home towns.   I can tell you where I live the rate is MUCH higher than 1%. 

I have been on 4 cruises since the resumption of cruising and  feel if we each protect ourselves an others cruising can still be a very safe vacation option.    I have a B2B2B booked for April and have made final payment.   No regrets. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wolf 8 said:

Update a day after my initial post.  We’re salvaging as much of this experience as conditions permit.  That means physically separating ourselves from the mask less inside the ship.  Lunch today at Grand Cuvee was impeccable though we did have to move because an elderly fellow at a nearby table had a productive cough.  We were also able to catch some of the Bucs wildcard game at a two-person table at Craft Social then ran $220 of pre-bought slot play through a video poker machine, again staying safely away from others.

What really offends me is that I am honoring Celebrity’s contract which includes complying with all their guest conduct policies.  In contrast, Celebrity has not made an effective effort to provide me an environment free from dangerous guest behaviors (i.e., the violation of mask mandates) that expose me to the virulent, potentially lethal Covid-19 virus.

We have a port-side veranda and tomorrow we dock in St. Maarten.  It will be informative to observe how many emergency vehicles with staff in hazmat gear are summoned to carry infected passengers away for quarantine.

I would expect none.   Recent posts have indicated infected passengers are now quarantined in a specific closed off region of the ship and are required to remain there for the remainder of the cruise.    There have been a couple live posts from those quarantined.   Interesting reading.

The only time a passenger is now removed is if they need immediate medical attention not available on the ship

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, ymncruise said:

In July there was a huge backlog for passports—even for the renewals.  My friends had to use their birth certificates because they couldn’t get expedited processing for their renewals. The wait was over 6 months. 

Two members on our January cruise experienced 2 months from application to delivery.

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The OP with less than 100 post on CC may have had unrealistic expectations.    There has been so much posted here on exactly what it is like sailing during a pandemic.   From all reports the number of cases on board are less than 1% I would question what the exposure rate is in her or any of our home towns.   I can tell you where I live the rate is MUCH higher than 1%. 

I have been on 4 cruises since the resumption of cruising and  feel if we each protect ourselves an others cruising can still be a very safe vacation option.    I have a B2B2B booked for April and have made final payment.   No regrets. 

We are all different and also have the right to make general statements.  Taking sides one way or the other is really not the point, but you of all people know that.  I have always valued your information on here and happy that you feel safe doing all your cruises, while respecting the rights of others who do not feel the same way.  I hope that you continue to deliver pertinent information for all of us who respect your words.  We are all responsible for our own choices and happiness...

Edited by Lastdance

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We're currently in the process of getting our passport renewed as well and will be taking our Passport Card with us on our next cruise in a few weeks if we don't receive them back by then. Unfortunately, we won't be able to fly home either, not that we would want to, as we would need a real passport for that.

Whats a passport card and how is that different than a passport?  Im not familiar with the card.  I always see notices of inability to travel overseas within so many months of a passport expiring, so im curious what this alternative is.  Mine expires in a couple years.

Edit - Sorry....just looked at the topic and this is a thread on the Silhouette.  Dont want to take away from the OP and his/her sailing.  

Edited by Stealthdog

4 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

Whats a passport card and how is that different than a passport?  Im not familiar with the card.  I always see notices of inability to travel overseas within so many months of a passport expiring, so im curious what this alternative is.  Mine expires in a couple years.

Here’s a description which might better explain what it is.

The US passport card is a credit card-sized identification document. It was designed for people who travel frequently between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean by land or sea. 

https://www.tripsavvy.com/passport-card-how-can-you-get-one-2972941

• Like 1

What surprises me is that Celebrity was one of the cruise lines that up to a week  ago did not require you to wear masks.  That’s the reason why lots of people booked a Celebrity cruise, as they didn’t want to have to wear masks.  If you want to wear your mask and like this mandate you would have been better sailing with MSC or RC who have a largely younger crowd, hence more unvaccinated children, and have been strict all the way through.   A lot of people think a bit of flimsy cloth hanging under your nose is hardly any protection so would rather not. I’m not saying this post is my personal opinion, just stating how I’m seeing this. 

Edited by Outofofficeon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Outofofficeon said:

What surprises me is that Celebrity was one of the cruise lines that up to a week  ago did not require you to wear masks.  That’s the reason why lots of people booked a celebrity cruise, as they didn’t want to have to wear masks.  If you want to wear your mask and like this mandate you would have been better sailing with MSC or RC who have a largely younger crowd, hence more unvaccinated children, and have been strict all the way through.   A lot of people think a bit of flimsy cloth hanging under your nose is hardly any protection so would rather not. I’m not saying this post is my personal opinion, just stating how I’m seeing this. 

Actually the bit about the cloth mask is science per the CDC.  I wonder how many people reuse masks when CDC says not to.  And I love those wearing masks below the nose.  Personally I would like a cruise with no masks.

• Like 1

My husband and I are presently on the Silhouette also, and I highly disagree with and I have NOT seen the lack of passenger masking that the OP is upset about. We have been all around the ship, and I would estimate 99.5% of people have masks on indoors as they should. If the OP wants to spend his vacation monitoring mask compliance, then he is welcome to do that… but I am here to say that MOST are doing fine and there is largely a fun and happy and safe vibe on the ship. He may be the type that expects passengers to place and replace their mask between each sip or bite, not realistic…

We have been to all the theater shows and they are at most 50-75 people in the ENTIRE lower level. It is so easy to social distance there and if someone doesn’t have a mask on in the theatre because they are enjoying a drink during the show, that should not bother anyone- you are many feet away from the nearest person. We have played some of the activity games (like friendly Feud) and the activity staff had each of us participating wear a mask while we played. I would also say staff has been 100% compliant with masking, so I would not imagine a complaint about them. I think Celebrity is putting-on a very safe cruise and they are providing what was promised- if a person wants to have absolutely no risk, then they probably should stay in their home. 

This is our third cruise post-restart and we have noticed even more safety protocols than on our other two. For instance,  the pastries at breakfast in the MDR are now covered with plastic wrap while the attendant carries them in her tray to serve them. The juice glasses have individual paper cover sleeves as that server is handing them out. As is usual with Celebrity, they are wiping down surfaces constantly and public areas are very clean.

I guess we can all have our own opinions and assessments, but I don’t want people reading this OP opinion to think so badly of Celebrity and to make their judgment based on his rigid and perfect expectations.

Thanks for listening 😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, WeBcruisingMN said:

My husband and I are presently on the Silhouette also, and I highly disagree with and I have NOT seen the lack of passenger masking that the OP is upset about. We have been all around the ship, and I would estimate 99.5% of people have masks on indoors as they should. If the OP wants to spend his vacation monitoring mask compliance, then he is welcome to do that… but I am here to say that MOST are doing fine and there is largely a fun and happy and safe vibe on the ship. He may be the type that expects passengers to place and replace their mask between each sip or bite, not realistic…

We have been to all the theater shows and they are at most 50-75 people in the ENTIRE lower level. It is so easy to social distance there and if someone doesn’t have a mask on in the theatre because they are enjoying a drink during the show, that should not bother anyone- you are many feet away from the nearest person. We have played some of the activity games (like friendly Feud) and the activity staff had each of us participating wear a mask while we played. I would also say staff has been 100% compliant with masking, so I would not imagine a complaint about them. I think Celebrity is putting-on a very safe cruise and they are providing what was promised- if a person wants to have absolutely no risk, then they probably should stay in their home. 

This is our third cruise post-restart and we have noticed even more safety protocols than on our other two. For instance,  the pastries at breakfast in the MDR are now covered with plastic wrap while the attendant carries them in her tray to serve them. The juice glasses have individual paper cover sleeves as that server is handing them out. As is usual with Celebrity, they are wiping down surfaces constantly and public areas are very clean.

I guess we can all have our own opinions and assessments, but I don’t want people reading this OP opinion to think so badly of Celebrity and to make their judgment based on his rigid and perfect expectations.

Thanks for listening 😊

Thank you for your note.  It is quite refreshing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeBcruisingMN said:

My husband and I are presently on the Silhouette also, and I highly disagree with and I have NOT seen the lack of passenger masking that the OP is upset about.

Thanks for providing balance to, what seems to me like, calculated hysteria by OP.

• Like 2

In Costco last week, where signs are clearly posted that masks are required to enter, a staff member asked a woman to put her mask up over her nose.  She did, and as the staff member walked away she lowered it and said "you know what to do with you f***ing mask" and left it down.  My point is those that think the rules are for everyone else are everywhere and it is unrealistic to expect you won't find some on a cruise.  I also feel very sorry for the cruise staff now that people are suddenly expecting them to be police officers too. 

• Like 1

Still debating our Apex cruise on the 29th. Hmm.  36% positivity rate in Collier Co Fl ( Naples) and 1% on the ships.  I think we may be safer in the ship. (NY has a mask mandate for all indoor public places so we’re used to it, in FL for the winter and about 25% wear masks).

On 1/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, ymncruise said:

In July there was a huge backlog for passports—even for the renewals.  My friends had to use their birth certificates because they couldn’t get expedited processing for their renewals. The wait was over 6 months. 

We waited 5 months for our renewels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vickykay said:

Still debating our Apex cruise on the 29th. Hmm.  36% positivity rate in Collier Co Fl ( Naples) and 1% on the ships.  I think we may be safer in the ship. (NY has a mask mandate for all indoor public places so we’re used to it, in FL for the winter and about 25% wear masks).

Your numbers are comparing different things. The 36% positivity rate means that of the people who were tested, 36% were positive.  

It doesn’t mean that 36% of the total population was positive.  You would need to know what percent of the population went in to get a test to come up with that number.

The number the ships report is what percent of the total number of people on the ship tested positive.

So two very different things. I would say apples and oranges, if apples and oranges were numbers

Edited by WestLakeGirl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vickykay said:

I live in Manatee County. Definitely safer on a ship! 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, Outofofficeon said:

I’m also on in two weeks time.  We are all well aware this is different to cruising two years ago.  I always see the positives and hope we can all go along with whatever transpires during our trip.  I really feel Celebrity will do their upmost to make it as good as they can whatever circumstances we find ourselves in.  My view is you could wait another year or so for all this to pass, if ever?? And by then anything could happen to you that would make you realise that cruising with these restrictions was a good bet after all.  Hope the rest of the cruise improves for Wolf.

Your statement is spot on. No one knows what the future holds. We personally have experienced health issues over the past 2 years. Should we wait another year to take a "safe" cruise? If there will  ever be such a thing.

The future is promised to no one. Seize the time while you can and make the best of your time on the ship. It is not what it was. We need to get use to the new normal for the foreseeable future.

Have done several over the last 5 months and enjoyed each one - even during these strange times. 😊🥂.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 1:02 AM, farawayatsea said:

Hearing that many passengers are not wearing masks is very concerning. I am very surprised to hear that Celebrity is not enforcing this.As well as the health risk it would just annoy me too much to have a good time. This has lead me to cancel a February cruise.

Non enforcement (inconsistent) of mask wearing was our only complaint on both our recent cruises.

I usually sit in the back of the theater but last night I went down toward the center and looked back.  I didn’t see a single face uncovered.  This was at the early show.

I saw a lady come to trivia unmasked. She sat down and suddenly realized her error, jumped up and went back to her state room to get her mask.

When you walk through the coffee shop, or the Buffay, no one has masks on when they are sitting at their tables with coffees and plates in front of them, but when they get up to leave, the covers come back on.

I don’t hang out at the martini bar but I understand that most people sitting around watching the flair bartenders and drinking don’t wear masks.  

Walking through the shops, on the elevators, at the library, everyone is masked.  Overall,I would say compliance is pretty high.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1