At home covid test kits

julig22

59 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The US government site for getting 4 free at-home tests has opened early.  1 order per US address, shipping later this month.  I don't know if they will satisfy requirements for sailing but would be nice to have on hand if you want to test before leaving home.

https://special.usps.com/testkits

Mine is ordered as well.  As far as I'm aware, these will not be proctored tests so would NOT qualify for travel. Always good to have some tests around for routine stuff, though.

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

I don't know if they will satisfy requirements for sailing but would be nice to have on hand if you want to test before leaving home.

https://special.usps.com/testkits

They will not satisfy the requirements for sailing. Cruise lines require proctored home tests and these test kits do not include proctoring. But, I agree, they are handy to have for sure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1stTIMECRUZER said:

Can you register for a proctored test using these tests or other tests you purchase on your own or do you need to purchase the tests through the testing service website?

No, these can’t be used as proctored tests.

34 minutes ago, 1stTIMECRUZER said:

Can you register for a proctored test using these tests or other tests you purchase on your own or do you need to purchase the tests through the testing service website?

The proctored tests are slightly different. They have different packaging and they have barcodes/QR codes on them that you have to scan while doing the proctoring.

44 minutes ago, 1stTIMECRUZER said:

Yea, I knew there was a fee for the proctoring but didn't know if it was separate from the testing materials.  Thanks @JamieLogicalfor the barcode/QR code explanation.  Much appreciated!

There actually are some companies that sell the test kits and proctoring either separately or together. But they still have to be the test kits suitable for proctoring. I double very much that the free ones being sent out are. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, deliver42 said:

I don't think they will be proctored, so they won't be accepted. They are  only for your benefit. I  ordered the pack of 4 today.

I ordered some as well just to have so we could test after we get back home after traveling through 3 different airports.