How long before you can disembark at ports of call?

wil e coyote

We're looking forward to our 2/4 sailing on the Getaway - this will be our first cruise since early 2020. I see NCL's website says "Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking." Does that apply to the ports of call? Our pre-COVID experience was that we could typically get off the ship very soon after the published arrival times, but I don't know if this is one of the many things that are different now with COVID protocols.

What have others experienced recently at Caribbean ports? Thanks in advance for the info! 

5 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

We're looking forward to our 2/4 sailing on the Getaway - this will be our first cruise since early 2020. I see NCL's website says "Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking." Does that apply to the ports of call? Our pre-COVID experience was that we could typically get off the ship very soon after the published arrival times, but I don't know if this is one of the many things that are different now with COVID protocols.

What have others experienced recently at Caribbean ports? Thanks in advance for the info! 

No, that only refers to disembarkation on the final day of your cruise.  At interim ports it usually takes the local port authorities about 30 minutes to an hour to issue clearance for passengers to exit the ship.  There are several active threads on this forum which deal with recent Caribbean cruises.

• Like 2

Just now, The Traveling Man said:

No, that only refers to disembarkation on the final day of your cruise.  At interim ports it usually takes the local port authorities about 30 minutes to an hour to issue clearance for passengers to exit the ship.  There are several active threads on this forum which deal with recent Caribbean cruises.

Thanks Traveling Man! I'll check out those threads.

It all depends on how long it takes to clear the ship at the port. We sat for several hours at Sana Maria, Columbia white the port authorities cleared us. However that was the only port on that cruise where we had issues. We were also docked in a container yard.

if y ou have signed up/purchased a shore excursion thru ncl, there is a designated time when each excursion leaves the ship. if not, and you just want to wander around the particular port, or rent a cab or an independent excursion, when ever you wish to get of the ship is ok. you can sleep in a little later, or chill out and have a leisurely breakfast. i have gotten off the ship as late as 10 a.m. and there are always a plethora of cabs or excursion vendors swarming around the docks.

if you are platinum, sapphire or diamond, you get priority .

Usually the "arrival time" listed on your itinerary is the time when they (NCL) expect the ship to have been cleared by local port authorities, normally they actually arrive in port 30-60 min before that time. But of course; dealys may happen.... 

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

I know you are asking about NCL, but I was on Carnival in November. It was a big question I had because an excursion we had was tight to make, especially after the US time change. Long story short, we pulled up to the dock an hour before our excursion, told it would be an hour before we are cleared, but we were off the ship in 30 minutes. That was our typical experience. With only one ship or first ship in port, I think it made it easier.

• 3 months later...
On 1/23/2022 at 2:45 AM, TrumpyNor said:

Usually the "arrival time" listed on your itinerary is the time when they (NCL) expect the ship to have been cleared by local port authorities, normally they actually arrive in port 30-60 min before that time. But of course; dealys may happen.... 

Sorry to resurrect this but we were docking in Civitavecchia, Livorno, and Naples and was wondering if that's the same case where the arrival time is the cleared time. Docking at 6:00 AM in Civitavecchia to get on train at 7:44 AM. Docking at 9:00 AM in Livorno to get on the train at 10:12. Docking in Naples at 6:00 AM to catch an 8:21 train. Just wondering if these times are reasonable for someone who isn't on a NCL excursion. Thanks for the help!

Edited by rapscity
Clarification

1 hour ago, rapscity said:

Sorry to resurrect this but we were docking in Civitavecchia, Livorno, and Naples and was wondering if that's the same case where the arrival time is the cleared time. Docking at 6:00 AM in Civitavecchia to get on train at 7:44 AM. Docking at 9:00 AM in Livorno to get on the train at 10:12. Docking in Naples at 6:00 AM to catch an 8:21 train. Just wondering if these times are reasonable for someone who isn't on a NCL excursion. Thanks for the help!

You will be able to get off at around the arrival time. The problem you will have is that Livorno and Civitavecchia stations are a way from the port (so is Naples, but there is a metro station nearby and you seem to have plenty of time there). In Livorno you have to take the port shuttle to town and then a bus to the station (they sometimes run a shuttle direct to the station but it isn’t guaranteed). In Civitavecchia there is also a port shuttle (although there is an option to walk that one) and then a walk to the station.

You should have time, but it is tight, especially Livorno.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rapscity said:

I agree with KeithJenner and YVRteacher about the time, BUT be aware that in Italy most regular train tickets are not refundable/changeable. So you should make certain to purchase a ticket type where you can change it up to departuretime - those tickets are more expensive, but you would probably be more "at ease" IF any delays occured regarding arrival time in the ports. 

The official website for the Italian railwayservice (trenitalia.com) usually offers a certain number of low priced train tickets also in 1. class about 3 months before the travelling date. 

• Like 1

@KeithJenner thank you for clarifying! I will do my best to get off the ship early in Livorno especially considering the extra logistics necessary. 

@TrumpyNor I will definitely try to get a flexible ticket! I heard some advice the regional trains running can be purchased at the station as they don't have fixed seating. If this is correct, then I plan to get those tickets. Thank you for confirming!

@YVRteacher thank you, I will definitely have to plan backup train times in case things go awry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 9:53 PM, KeithJenner said:

You will be able to get off at around the arrival time. The problem you will have is that Livorno and Civitavecchia stations are a way from the port (so is Naples, but there is a metro station nearby and you seem to have plenty of time there). In Livorno you have to take the port shuttle to town and then a bus to the station (they sometimes run a shuttle direct to the station but it isn’t guaranteed). In Civitavecchia there is also a port shuttle (although there is an option to walk that one) and then a walk to the station.

We're going to be in Livorno in mid-September.  I had forgotten that the port was so far away from Florence-I recall walking into town, but that was probably from a shuttle bus.  This time, two members of our party of 4 have mobility issues.  Any recommendations for the "easiest" way to get to Florence without spending an arm and a leg?  We're also considering taking the train to Lucca for the day.  Wondering if that may be a bit easier.  

On 5/18/2022 at 9:53 PM, KeithJenner said:

We're going to be in Livorno in mid-September.  I had forgotten that the port was so far away from Florence-I recall walking into town, but that was probably from a shuttle bus.  This time, two members of our party of 4 have mobility issues.  Any recommendations for the "easiest" way to get to Florence without spending an arm and a leg?  We're also considering taking the train to Lucca for the day.  Wondering if that may be a bit easier.  

21 hours ago, bbqbears said:

The train station in Livorno is quite a way from the port.  You might want to take a taxi.  Check the Trenitalia dot come website for schedule and fare info.  The station in Florence is in a very active part of town, about 3/4 of a kilometer from the Piazza del Duomo, about a 10 minute walk.

2 hours ago, bbqbears said:

Thanks for the tip.  I will check out that website.

The train station is Santa Maria Novella, which is about a 10 minute walk to the Duomo. 

On trenitalia.com  you would choose Firenza S.M.Novella for your destination.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:55 PM, wil e coyote said:

You can usually disembark close to the published arrival time on your cruise itinerary. Your pre-COVID experience is the same now. It is not different since restart.